It doesn't matter....

Old 06-07-2007, 06:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It doesn't matter....

Into Orbit

It doesn't matter if they're hurting themselves. It doesn't matter that we could help them if they'd only listen to, and cooperate with, us. IT DOESN'T MATTER, DOESN'T MATTER, DOESN'T MATTER, DOESN'T MATTER.
--Codependent No More

I think I can change him. Nobody's ever really loved him and appreciated him before. I'll be the one to do that, and then he'll change. . . . She's never been with anybody trustworthy before. I'll prove how trustworthy I am, and then she'll be able to love. . . . Nobody's been able to get to her, to conquer her, before. I'll be the one to do that. . . . Nobody's ever really given him a chance. . . . Nobody's ever really believed in him before. . . .

These are warning signs. Red lights. Red flags. In fact, if we're thinking these thoughts, they need to be stop signs.

If we have gotten hooked into believing that somehow we will be the one who will make the difference in someone's life, if we are trying to prove how good we can be for someone, we may be in trouble.

This is a game. A deception. It won't work. It'll make us crazy. We can trust that. We're not seeing things clearly. Something's going on with us. t will be self-defeating.

We may be "the one" all right - the one to wind up victimized.

The whole thought pattern reeks of codependency, of not being responsible for oneself, and of victimization. Each person needs to do his or her own work.

Nobody in the past has really understood him. . . . Nobody has seen what I see in her. . . . It's a set up. It sets us up to stop paying attention to ourselves while we focus too much on the other person. It takes us away from our path and often puts us in orbit.

Nobody has appreciated him enough. . . . Nobody has been good enough to her, or done for her what I can do. . . . It's a rescue. It's a game move, a game we don't have to play. We don't have to prove we're the one. If we're out to show people we're the best thing that ever happened to them, it may be time to see if they're the best thing that ever happened to us.

We have not been appointed as guardian angel, godmother, godfather, or "the one who will."

The help, support, and encouragement that truly benefits others and ourselves emerges naturally. Let it.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you. Good post. I needed this reminder today.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
rozied

Very good post,
Thanx,
Diane
Old 06-07-2007, 07:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

The first time I read this I could not believe how applicable it was.

By then Steve was gone.

I have vowed it will never again apply to me, with the exception of the last sentence.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

oh, honey ,if only we could fix them, the world would be a brighter place.only our H.P. can do that. yours was a really good post.thank you.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RisingPhoenix View Post

These are warning signs. Red lights. Red flags. In fact, if we're thinking these thoughts, they need to be stop signs.

If we have gotten hooked into believing that somehow we will be the one who will make the difference in someone's life, if we are trying to prove how good we can be for someone, we may be in trouble.

If we're out to show people we're the best thing that ever happened to them, it may be time to see if they're the best thing that ever happened to us.
That one really hits home for me. I've so many times gotten involved with troubled people. Typically the guy who was abused as a child and has had trouble with the law all kinds of inner problems that ONLY I understand and i can help him feel better...

I gotta remember that last part.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
getting stronger each day

thank you so much for this post! this was a hard lesson for me to learn. i really thought deep down that i was gonna be the one who would save my brother from himself. it nearly destroyed me learning that lesson, but i'm so much stronger for it now.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thank you