What happens in treatment?

Old 06-04-2007, 05:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What happens in treatment?

I am wondering...what happens in outpatient treatment? My alcoholic and drug addicted husband is in his 3rd week of treatment and I have seen no difference in character. We are separated, so I don't know if he is using. Do they go through the 12 steps? What do they do? He seems to have more ups and downs.

If I was in an intensive treatment for something...you would know and see a difference.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My AH attended intensive OP treatment for 3 hours everyday, 5 days per week. It was group therapy and there was a one-on-one session 1x per week and a family group therapy session 1x per week. My husband attended additional evening AA meetings with the people he met in his group sessions. They were also very active in talking to one another everyday, after group, AA meetings - building a support network with each other. I saw a big difference in my AH's attitude when he was active in his therapy. Sadly he relapsed in late January and d/c OP treatment. He's back in inpatient rehab now for another 30 days.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

My alcoholic and drug addicted husband is in his 3rd week of treatment and I have seen no difference in character.
Well I sure wouldn't expect much at 3 weeks. The fog hasn't even started to clear from a brain that feels like MUSH.

Recovery is a lifelong process and in early recovery those on the outside may only see that the person is not ingesting their poison of choice.

It takes years to get sick enough to want recovery, and it takes years to get well.

In the meantime what are you doing for you? Are you seeking therapy or attending Alanon?

Please keep posting and let us know how YOU are doing, we do care.

Love and hugs,
Old 06-04-2007, 12:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi jennchip, nice to "meet" ya

My A was in out patient treatment after detox. the first session was 5 weeks, 3 nights a week, for 4 hours. He attended AA meetings on the nights he was not in outpatient (sometimes). After that, he went 5 weeks, 2 nights a week. Attended maybe 2 AA metings the rest of the week.

During the total 10 week program he drank 3 times when he was supposed to go to outpatient. Missed those sessions needless to say. I also began to notice he attended less and less meetings and stopped seeing his therapist (was once a week) all together.

I guess I noticed a difference,,lol Although, it wasn't positive like I had hoped.

He was also very "manic" during that time. Sometimes happy, upbeat, optimistic and dare I say, almost "normal". But other times, he was completely unreasonable, tired and yup, mean.

I found out later, as Laurie mentioned, it a real mental/physical thing with the A when they are recovering, and takes a long time before they are consistent.

Mine never got consistent. The longest he quit drinking through all or the inpatient/outpatient program was three weeks. Though he had stopped drinking every day like he had previously.

How long is his outpatient treatment?

Is he attending AA?

Peace
Old 06-04-2007, 01:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No, I do not think he is attending AA. He asked me to go to one of the family nights, but then retracted the invitation. I am beginning to believe that it is all manipulation.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hmmmmm,,wonder why he "retracted".

When my A would retract, it usually meant there was something he didn't want me to hear.

Round and Round we go,,

I finally got to a point, where I had to realize:

I didn't cause it
I can't control it
I can't cure it

All I can be responsible for and worry about is my own recovery.

Have you tried al anon? How bout therapy? Books? Pick - A - Name turned me on to "Getting them Sober" GOOD READ.

In other words, what are you doing for YOU?

Peace