When it changed

Old 06-03-2007, 05:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

When it changed

Hi all,
Coming home from my meeting last night,
I was having this discussion with God.

And I came to this realization that just because in the past, and my whole life, I BELIEVED, that didn't necessarily mean I had FAITH. I said I was sorry for perhaps doubting he could fix all, when I was sure I could...(my H.P. has a wonderful sense of humor...no lightning stuck, anyway...)

One more thing....I kept praying for God to fix it, help them, get them out of jail, make them sober..don't let them die....I pleaded and begged.
It changed when I started asking God to do his will.

Have faith.
Miracles happen when we least expect them.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Boy, Moose, I needed to hear that one tonight. Had a text message conversation with the she-devil aka my AD. Had to keep reminding myself that I am talking to an addict. Pure evil she is I will try to remember that things happen in God's time, not mine. Boy I need to work on this thing called impatience. Well at least I guilted her enough to maybe ruin her high. Hugs and thanks, Marle
Old 06-03-2007, 05:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Get Caught Reading

I kept praying for God to fix it, help them, get them out of jail, make them sober..don't let them die....I pleaded and begged.
It changed when I started asking God to do his will.- Mooselips

I needed to be reminded of this, Moose.

Hope-A vital link to workable faith

Father, my hope is in You today, and because You always do what You say, my faith in Your word is unwavering. I have confident assurance that what I am now hoping for, is waiting for me, even though I can't see it yet. I will keep my hope and faith in You, and You will surly bring it to pass.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great post Moose. Thank you !!

Funny, I was thinking about something very similar today.

I remember when my prayers were all directed towards a specific outcome...just like you said...Please God, make him wake up and stop using drugs, please save my house from foreclosure, please help me find a way to pay the mortgage, spare me this pain, let me win the lottery...and on and on and on...

When my prayers weren't answered according to my desires, I felt abandoned and kind of pissed off at my HP.

The whole situation was a true test of my faith.

But now my prayers are different. I simply tell God how much I love, need, cherish, and TRUST him to lead me where I need to go and its almost as if things started to improve as soon as I did this. Maybe we're blinded to the blessings in our life when we are focused only on OUR wants and desires. Maybe when we let go of our desired outcome, we are free to really see all the blessings in our life. Whatever the reason, this change in my approach to God and my faith brought about a sense of peace and gratitude for all of the things He HAS provided. And all of the things He has provided me with were much more powerful than anything I could have thought to ask for.

Great topic to think about. Thanks for bringing this up tonight.

Love ya...
Old 06-03-2007, 06:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
cmc

Moose,
Thank you.
This is the third time this topic has come up today so I'll take it as a sign that I better listen up.
Not only do I need to seek and pray for His will, but I need to surrender mine, however 'good' or 'right' I think it may be. It's not easy to do.
I really do believe the purpose of my surrender is to spare 'me' of unneccessary pain and spare others from 'me' and my own willfulness. Steps 1-3:may it be so.

Linda,
Thank you for the prayer you posted- it's perfect.

Out,
Maybe we're blinded to the blessings in our life when we are focused only on OUR wants and desires.
Thanks for putting into words what I feel. Those wants aren't bad in themselves. What is not right for me is to impose my wants on another person, especially my HP. I can praise the Lord with the best of them- yet still insist on having things my way and as you said: 'focus' on that.

Last edited by cmc; 06-03-2007 at 06:56 PM. Reason: I have more to say!!
Old 06-03-2007, 08:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Gosh, this sounds so easy ! I used to think God must be awfully busy with other things because He obviously hadn't dropped everything to deal with MY problem... in My time.... providing MY solution which I had already outlined to Him.

Thy will be done. That seems a lot easier.

Cats
Old 06-03-2007, 09:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
On a tear

Excellent good, Moose.

Thank you. (((Mooselips)))
Old 06-04-2007, 08:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

This is eerie.
Every morning I read ODAT,
Courage to Change, and Hope for today.

This a.m. the message in ODAT was the SAME message. "The will be done"

Now I'm scaring myself!

Hugs to all.....
Old 06-04-2007, 02:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A work in progress....

'The biggest sacrifices in our lives will be those times when we chose our own way and forfeited God's perfect will for us'-Beth Moore
Old 06-04-2007, 05:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I talk to God when I walk too, Moose, it just seems a good time, yes?

It changed for me when I said "Thy will.." too, only I don't think I put it quite so nicely but poor God knew what I meant when I said..."Okay, I give up, I'm sick of all this and THEY say You can do what I cannot...well give it a shot God because I'm fresh out of energy and ideas." As if God needed my permission

The God of my understanding is a loving and forgiving God with a huge sense of humour. And today I begin each day, turning it all over to Him...much more nicely these days.

Hugs
Old 06-04-2007, 06:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for this post Moose.
I had something writtten then I wasn't logged in.
Life is so much easier now that I just admitt that I am not in control of a thing.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

When AH first walked out, I prayed and prayed and prayed he'd come back. I even found out who the Patron Saint of Marriage is (St Rita) and asked her to put her two cents in to help my cause. But after presenting my case (Hmmmm, I think I was supposed to be praying!) to God, I'd add as a post script "if that's what You want, too". Lol! I bet God got a charge out of that! Of course I'm now over the moon that AH is gone and that I'm remembering what living is like. Just glad God knows best and saw through my denial!!!
Old 06-04-2007, 06:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Oh Dear,
Before I came here, I also was praying to Saint Rita of Cascia, the patron of desperate, seemingly impossible causes and situations. (It didn't work...although I was telling HER what to do, also)

How funny is that?
Old 06-04-2007, 07:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Mooselips What is the ODAT? I try to read the " Just for Today" at least once a day. And ask God to watch over everyone. Not much but it makes me feel better.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Or However You Spell It....

I definitely needed to hear this today. I'm struggling with some major decisions.....trying to come up with the answers myself and not getting anywhere but more frustrated. Thank you Moose. I know what to do now.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:18 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

ODAT is One Day At a Time..(in Alanon)

You can generally buy it at meetings.