Normalcy?

Old 06-03-2007, 05:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
it is what it is...

Normalcy?

I've been reading on here alot today. I had a little food for thought.

I've brought it up myself, stating "normal" relationships or "normal" people. In that sense I mean people not involved with alcohol related problems and I am sure that many of us use that term to describe just that.

It was just recently brought up about someone cutting a vicious person out of thier life and that person was an alcohlic. I have recently not ended but put on hold a relationship with a friend of 20 years. She is a good friend and a good person but she is so involved in the drama of her BS that she has stopped listening to me about my problems. Which, I don't talk about very often. I pretty much accept that I made my bed now I lie in it, however, I am getting up to fix it again and make it more comfortable. She however, regresses. She claims I don't respect her and have not ever respected her except when she had a job (her first job in her whole life that she kept for more than 6 months) She was absolutely right. I don't think a grown woman of 4 children sets a very good example when she doesn't work, lives in filth because she is too lazy to get off her fat butt and clean, soaks her 90 yr old grandparents for all their money and yet sits in judgement of others.

Wow, off subject. My point being that even though she does not use drugs or alcohol she has more if not as many problems as I do. I do like to drink but don't let it become a problem. I even enjoy other people that drink as long as it is not a problem. I have heard often lately that people that drink will continue down that path until they hit bottom.

I think it is unfair to put everyone who drinks in the same class as our alcoholics. Everything in moderation right? Just because I sit in a garage it doesn't mean I am a car. I go to the bar but that does not mean I am a drunk nor are many of my friends. I'm not saying that I took these remarks personally either. PLEASE HEAR THAT.

I am just bringing to light that there are many more things than alcohol and drug use that cause people to be crappy. In my case with my A I think he has a lot more problems and alcohol is secondary. I think he is probably just poopy in general.

I feel fortunate to have found this sight to give me clarity for what I want in life. I am glad to know I am not the only one giong through this. I am also glad that I don't end up like my friend who only sees her way and no other way. I am thankful to know that I, in many ways feel more "normal" than alot of people who don't live with alcohol related issues. I guess it can always be worse
Old 06-03-2007, 05:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bjen View Post
I do like to drink but don't let it become a problem. I even enjoy other people that drink as long as it is not a problem. I have heard often lately that people that drink will continue down that path until they hit bottom.
Unless it is against your religion or individual moral values, there is nothing wrong with drinking. Not everyone is an alcoholic. Those that are alcoholics cannot drink, because they cannot stop. This is what leads them down the path until they hit bottom. I wasn't sure if you were suggesting that non-alcoholics face this same danger. We do not. Unless, of course, we make a really stupid mistake like drinking and driving and getting into a car accident. This could happen to anyone, whether they are alcoholics, or not.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Alcohol and DRugs ar ethe secondary. They are but a symptom of deeper problems.

Earthworm

Originally Posted by Bjen View Post
I've been reading on here alot today. I had a little food for thought.

I've brought it up myself, stating "normal" relationships or "normal" people. In that sense I mean people not involved with alcohol related problems and I am sure that many of us use that term to describe just that.

It was just recently brought up about someone cutting a vicious person out of thier life and that person was an alcohlic. I have recently not ended but put on hold a relationship with a friend of 20 years. She is a good friend and a good person but she is so involved in the drama of her BS that she has stopped listening to me about my problems. Which, I don't talk about very often. I pretty much accept that I made my bed now I lie in it, however, I am getting up to fix it again and make it more comfortable. She however, regresses. She claims I don't respect her and have not ever respected her except when she had a job (her first job in her whole life that she kept for more than 6 months) She was absolutely right. I don't think a grown woman of 4 children sets a very good example when she doesn't work, lives in filth because she is too lazy to get off her fat butt and clean, soaks her 90 yr old grandparents for all their money and yet sits in judgement of others.

Wow, off subject. My point being that even though she does not use drugs or alcohol she has more if not as many problems as I do. I do like to drink but don't let it become a problem. I even enjoy other people that drink as long as it is not a problem. I have heard often lately that people that drink will continue down that path until they hit bottom.

I think it is unfair to put everyone who drinks in the same class as our alcoholics. Everything in moderation right? Just because I sit in a garage it doesn't mean I am a car. I go to the bar but that does not mean I am a drunk nor are many of my friends. I'm not saying that I took these remarks personally either. PLEASE HEAR THAT.

I am just bringing to light that there are many more things than alcohol and drug use that cause people to be crappy. In my case with my A I think he has a lot more problems and alcohol is secondary. I think he is probably just poopy in general.

I feel fortunate to have found this sight to give me clarity for what I want in life. I am glad to know I am not the only one giong through this. I am also glad that I don't end up like my friend who only sees her way and no other way. I am thankful to know that I, in many ways feel more "normal" than alot of people who don't live with alcohol related issues. I guess it can always be worse
Old 06-04-2007, 02:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

I drink and am not an alcoholic.
I choose the word healthy instead of normal, bc what is normal anyway? A society set standard of what the majority of people are or should be?

I choose healthy not normal.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
it is what it is...

Healthy is a very good way to put it. Thank you