Notices

New to group

Old 06-03-2007, 04:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to group

I just wanted to introduce myself. I finally joined today after searching for a good online support group. It seems you have a very supportive community.
I hope that I have had my last drink last night (early this morning). I have tried a number of times to stop, and usually do for a while (have had counseling, read all the books, had medical support from family doctors, and always get pumped up and motivated when I first stop) but something always lures me back into the cycle. Usually it is socializing, making exceptions for certain situations, and the next thing I know I'm drinking 3 or 4 nights a week by myself at home, bingeing and unable to stop until I have to pass out.
Last night was one of those nights. Puttering around the house, started with beer around 5 o'clock, then switched to vodka and then gin later in the night.
I turned 40 a few months ago and this has been a pattern since I was about 18 years old. It's never really affected my work or my life in an obvious (to the outside world) negative way and so it keeps on going.
I have spent the entire day sick and feeling horrible physically. Mentally it's even worse. I haven't been able to complete an important project that is due tomorrow because of how sick I am and I wasted all last night being drunk.
I feel so depressed and sad. I desperately want to stop but I have tried and failed so many times. I can't bear to feel like this anymore. I hate myself for it. The older I get the worse I feel after drinking.
I am going to stick near these boards a lot for a while and would love any and all advice. Thank you.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR from another Canuck, sir0404! I'm so glad that you decided to join us. I can identify with feeling pumped and motivated when you first stop drinking, and then getting lured back for one reason or another. I've been sober a little while now, and coming here has been a big part of my recovery. I hope you keep reading and posting.

Rowan
Old 06-03-2007, 04:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Slr0404
I am relatively new here as well - I can understand the struggles
you are going through. There is a great deal of help and support
available on this forum. I hope you stick around.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

this was my story....coming here, talking with people, and working here and elsewhere on building a new life without having to resort to drink, has meant I've been out of the cycle for over two months now. Best two months of my life.

hang around !

D
Old 06-03-2007, 06:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location: Fedup With This Vicious Cycle and Am Doing Something About It
Hi and welcome, SLR!
I am also a newcomer at SR and I really think that this board is going to be a huge part in my recovery. I have felt so welcome here and spend a vast majority of my time on the internet, on this forum. It's nice not feeling like the only one going through this. I was completely sober on friday, stepped off the wagon for a few drinks on saturday(kicking myself) and today is another sober day. I am really hoping this coming week will be easier for me... weekends always seem so difficult. Ugh!

Best of luck to you and keep in touch!! YOU CAN DO IT!
Old 06-03-2007, 06:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Hi slr..Glad you are here.
This board is a great group of people.
There is so much support and info here and it is come as you are. We do not judge here just help.
Hope you stick around.
Attached Images
File Type: gif
Copy of 54.gif (13.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 06-04-2007, 05:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hope3

Welcome aboard..you have made a very

empowering decision, best wishes, hope3