Notices

Question-how long for withdrawals to stop?

Old 06-02-2007, 06:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry Question-how long for withdrawals to stop?

I am going back on my campral and I can't remember how long it took for the really bad withdrawals to stop, even w/medication. Does anyone know?
Old 06-02-2007, 06:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
"For the moment, life is good"

I may be wrong, but when I took Campral, the Dr. told me it would control the cravings, not withdrawl symptoms. He also said it was almost ineffective if you relapse and start taking it again. He said I had to have at least a week of sobriety before I tried the Campral again. If possible try not taking it until you have maybe 5 days with no alcohol. In the mean time drink lots of juice and water. The sugars will help some with the shakes and the water will keep you hydrated. Don't forget to eat. Small meals and snacks. Hope this helps and good luck....
Laceyhearts.....
Old 06-02-2007, 07:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For me the really bad stuff lasts about 3 days too. Then about another 10 days of feeling weak, mood swings and depression etc.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stone View Post
For me the really bad stuff lasts about 3 days too. Then about another 10 days of feeling weak, mood swings and depression etc.
stone, as I remember when I quit before I think it took 3 days for me also for the bad withdrawals, thanks for the input.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me it has been like this;

1-3 days - little sleep, chills/sweats, high anxiety (especially at night)
4-8 days - heavy sleep, crazy dreams (is it just that I can know remember them or have them at all?), lethargy, but anxiety decreased dramatically

I use lots of vitamins (B-100, C&E, CoQ10). I drink lots of water and walk outdoors at least 15-20 minutes.

I am on day 4 of this detox. I am following my last detox.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

What is your next step for planning your new sober life?

You never have to go thru this pain again.

Blessings
Old 06-02-2007, 10:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Lacey is correct, Campral is for cravings not W/D symptoms.

Inmy case severe withdrawals lasted 4 days, then I finally felt "normal" - like I am an expert on what "normal" is - after about 2 weeks.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Last time i went throught this it took 4 days for the physical symptoms went away.
It was probably 2 weeks before I got a full nights sleep.

Definetly drink alot of water. Eat as much as you can
i just bought a bunch of fruit, besides alcohol taht seems to be what my body is craving.
Good luck
Old 06-03-2007, 04:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

needtobesober,
Yes, I'd agree with the consensus that it's about 2-3 days with tough withdrawal symptoms for a typical alcohol detox. It's definitely the hardest time to live through. I'm up most of the nights, heavy sweating, shaking in the AM, and huge panics and anxiety attacks, but no hallucinations or serious DTs in my case. Drinking lots of water does help. I just read, or post, to pass the time.
CarolD,
Right, the key is figuring out how to make the sobriety stick. I don't guess I've figured that out yet.
I really could use your help and advice. I'm struggling, even with going to AA weekly. In fact I've missed meetings because I was drinking and couldn't see going to a meeting other than completely sober.
stressed07
Old 06-03-2007, 06:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Several months ago, almost a year, I was put on Campral and managed to not drink for 35 days and then had several triggers, my 18 yrold moved back in and he started with using drugs and drinking which the anxiety and alchol use set in, but I am happy to say I started over yesterday and hope it will stick this time and my son is now 19, married with a baby on the way and is looking into offshore work, baby due in August by the way and he is not using drugs anymore.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The nightmares/shakes/sweats stopped in 4 days for me. 2 weeks later, I was sleeping like a baby.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

For me, three to four days, then I'm out of the woods, which is not to say there are not lingering effects, just not life threatening, in my case. At ten days, I sleep like a baby. Thank God for that and I REALLY mean it. I am blessed in that regard.

The first few days are the most to be concerned with, dependent on the time, volume, and length of drinking. Some people can detox alone. Some need medical interventions. At any rate, it's never pleasant, but is incentive to not have to go back there. There is a chance of DTs, which will kick in after 48 to 72 hours, not to be taken lightly. Seizures are a possibility.

I experienced my first detox ever on 1/01. My BAC was .29 in the Er, after several hours of drinking. I felt kind of lame taking up space in the ER on 1/1. I guess I was worth it, as by the time they transported me to the facility my blood pressure was off the roof.

I would not recommend this, but I have rationed myself down, in increments. It works most of the time. On 1/1 I was so far gone, no rationing was going to work, but even in treatment centers (least the old school), they'd dip from a vat of alcohol every two hours or so to get through the process (I know, strange, but this was the old days).

At any rate, you make it through the first seven days and you're out of dire medical necessity. Then comes PAWS, which isn't life threatening, but also unpleasant.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stressed07 View Post
needtobesober,
Right, the key is figuring out how to make the sobriety stick. I don't guess I've figured that out yet.
I really could use your help and advice. I'm struggling, even with going to AA weekly. In fact I've missed meetings because I was drinking and couldn't see going to a meeting other than completely sober.
stressed07
Go daily you drank every day, didn't you ?
Old 07-03-2007, 07:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I tend to agree with everyone here, the 1st 3-4 days for me this time was the worst. Recalling the horrible mental and physical feelings of those days is a major impetus in my not drinking at the moment, among other things, of course. I'm in my 11th day, and it DOES get easier a little every day. I still feel some things though, major aches & pains when waking up, major irritiability when I'm tired.

Carol said it........"what is your plan for staying sober?" Making a plan, remembering the detox horrors, AND enjoying/being really grateful for the good things and small things in your life now, as it is, I think are all really important to staying sober. Good luck, you will feel better!! And good luck to all other newbies, I'm with you!
Old 07-03-2007, 08:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GlassPrisoner View Post
Go daily you drank every day, didn't you ?
Yes and also I have gotten to where I have had to increase the amount of alcohol I drink or drink harder liqour to get a buzz or drunk, and I messed up again I was on my 4th day w/no alcohol and started drinking again, but I am going to again either today or tomorrow, hoping it sticks this time.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yes and also I have gotten to where I have had to increase the amount of alcohol I drink or drink harder liqour to get a buzz or drunk
That's called tolerence. A definite sign of being an alcoholic.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Angry

Yes, I realize that my tolerance has gotten higher then before and I know I am an alcoholic-this sucks!