Notices

Letting Go

Old 06-01-2007, 04:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Letting Go

The Tao Te Ching says, "When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. When I let go of what I have, I receive what I need. Have you ever struggled to find work or love, only to find them after you have given up? This is the paradox of letting go. Let go, in order to achieve. Letting go is God's law."

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

I worked at the same job for 17 years, and was terribly burned out. I had taken two leaves for stress, was working modified hours, and it still wasn't enough. I would be giving up a great salary, health/dental benefits, and a considerable pension, but in November, I handed in my resignation. To my great surprise, my boss talked me out of leaving, and told me how valuable I was to the department. Within two weeks, he had found me a position elsewhere in the same company that I wouldn't have gotten without his help.
I had completely Let Go of the outcome, fully accepting whatever happened. I don't often take such risks (like, never!), and this experience was really gratifying.

I'd love to hear your experiences.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

That has happened to me alot.
Although I try hold on with a death grip sometimes.
I get tired and just F it.
And when I do...your right it seems to work itself out.
Just like right now.
I totally forgot I was just in an aggravated mood.
I walked back up to my aunts and just sat on the swing and and just sat there and didnt think about anyhting just conversated unknowingly and forgot Iwas just in a pissy mood.
I guess I let go and didnt relize it.
Anyway.
I feel better.
And you are right.
That does seem to happen for me alot.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Letting go ? As in surrender ?

That's how I quit drinking.

Truth be told, it wasn't my idea. I had to get beat up pretty badly before I quit trying to do things my way.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
believer

I just did a thread the other day about moving on...it's like you read my mind....lol..yeah...i was stuck for years..until i started letting go i couldn't realize that there's a person in me as there's a person in every human being...and i can't change what they did and what i could've done...well i got the future! that's when i realized i deserve to be happy too...so i started learning how to move on!

by the way i follow this tai chi thing, plus kung fu, and i have this book about Chi, the balance we all search...i learned so much from the Chinese ideology!wow...

p.s: it's such a liberating feeling, like a rebirth!
Old 06-01-2007, 05:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Oh yes, yes, I have experienced this!

When I moved to the city we're living in now, I didn't speak the language. Everyone here is bilingual and it's essential for any job, even the Coffee places, to be able to speak both languages. So, for the first few years I struggled and struggled with language and I was able to read and write French. And, I could speak French, but I came to realize that I would never feel comfortably bilingual enough to work in French. It was frustrating. So, I decided I would continue doing volunteer work at two different places and to accept the situation. Out of the blue, one of the places where I volunteer asked me to begin working. It's a non-profit organization and they hadn't hired anyone for years. I was simply astounded! It wasn't until I let go, that I found what I wanted.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I so identify with this.I spent years as a single parent yearning for someone to share my life with.It wasn't until I surrendered the whole idea, learned to love my life 'as it was' and stopped looking, that I met my husband.I didn't even recognise he was in love with me-and he had the sense to just be my friend for several years before we ever got involved romantically.It was just perfect and would never have happened had I still been 'desperate' to not be alone.

Releasing the outcome of any situation is such a great-yet hard lesson for me.I've been such a control freak but I'm learning and I have to say-I'm a lot more relaxed than I have been in ages knowing I do have a God who loves me already knows the outcome of all the situations in my life.

It's early days in sobriety for me-but I realised last night that since I stopped drinking-I am so much more in touch with my spirituality.I'm so grateful.

Rosexox
Old 06-01-2007, 06:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

I am learning to let go on a daily basis after learning that its more of part of my day rather than something that needs doing sometimes. Still very young/new to this.

When I get out of the way, I immediatley feel more aware, accepting and in tune am able to just kive life rather than try to orchestrate it.

Kevin
Old 06-01-2007, 06:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When I get out of the way, I immediatley feel more relaxed and in tune am able to just kive life rather than try to orchestrte it.
Ain't it cool ?

And, good stuff happens to me too !!!! Things I never would have orchestrated, orr thought of.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Originally Posted by GlassPrisoner View Post
Ain't it cool ?

And, good stuff happens to me too !!!! Things I never would have orchestrated, orr thought of.

Yes GP thats it exactly
Old 06-01-2007, 06:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Hope3

Great thread Rowan, I have to give this some thought,

and I'll get back...hope3
Old 06-01-2007, 07:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

he it's had for this old control freak to let go but I'm trying...'tis true letting go of my long standing anxiety of being alone, led me to sharing a large part of my life with two partners (so far)

D
Old 06-01-2007, 07:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

(((((((((Dee)))))))) a huge hug from me