A Codie Challenge - Double Dog Dare Ya!!

Old 05-31-2007, 02:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Talking A Codie Challenge - Double Dog Dare Ya!!

Whether you have years in recovery or you just walked in the door as a newcomer, I am throwing out a challenge to every codie here. Try it and at the end of the day, let me know how it worked out for you, okay?

Just for today...take one hour just for yourself and your recovery, putting all others aside and just focusing on you.

Take a walk, alone, and notice nature and the birds singing or the smell of summer setting in. Watch the sunset, watch the stars and the full moon, go to a meeting, or light a candle in a room by yourself and just let your mind connect to your Higher Power. Still all other thoughts and just be at peace for one hour.

Maybe you could read a recovery reading and then just spend the hour thinking about what that reading means to you. Or, if you are short of good things to think about, go to the library or bookstore and stock up on good books about making yourself feel better. Maybe write about who you are, what your dreams are and how you feel. No fair bringing anyone else into your thoughts...this is all about YOU.

Whatever you choose to do, do it for one hour and then take notice of how you feel during and after this pause and see if you don't feel just a little better because of it and come share your experience with all of us so we can learn different ways to take time just for us that brings us light and a refreshed spirit.

I double dog dare ya!!!

Hugs
Old 05-31-2007, 03:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
rozied

Very good idea Ann, I find myself feeling overwhelmed because of all my family's problems. They all have a bad habit of trying to make them my problems when I really have no ownership at all. Today I am going to take you up on that double dog dare & take 1 hr to do something just for myself.
Love,
Diane
Old 05-31-2007, 03:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Ann,

Just one hour? What am I going to do with the rest of my day? Loh,

Great idea!
Old 05-31-2007, 04:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Oh, you can take as many hours as you want, the more the better. But if you're like me, it's too easy to just let the day slip away without taking that special "me" time that we all need.

I'm going to take an hour this morning to walk before it gets too hot and before I have to go to work at a client's. And tonight I am hoping to sit on the back deck and watch the sunset and the birds over the water as they settle in for the evening. I may include Toby, my cat, but only if he stays quiet and doesn't interrupt me.

Hugs
Old 05-31-2007, 06:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks for that reminder (double dog dare - you'll try anything won't you?) - it worked though ;0...

i wanted to share something that helps me focus on me - when the kids are still sleeping and i enjoy a cup of coffee - before i settle in with sr i like to take a few minutes (i can't imagine an hour of nothing to do - i do go to meetings for more than an hour does that count?) and read this and breathe...

desiderata...
go placidly amid the noise and the haste
and remember what peace there may be in silence
as far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons
speak your truth quietly and clearly and listen to others, even to the dull and ignorant; they too have their story

avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit,
if you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always tehre will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
enjoy your acheivements as well as your plans
keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time

exercise caution in your business affairs,
for the world is full of trickery
but let this not blind you to what virtue there is,
many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism
be yourself, expecially do not feign affection;
neither be cynical about love, for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment, it is as perennial as the grass

take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth
nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune
but do not distress yourself with dark imaginings
many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness

beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself
you are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here
and whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfloding as it should

therefore be at peace with god, whatever you conceive him to be
and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy sonfusion of life, keep peace in your soul
with all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams it is still a beautiful world
be careful
strive to be happy...

*i triple dog dare you*...

love,
s
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Blue hills.jpg (27.9 KB, 101 views)
Old 05-31-2007, 06:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I love "Desiderata", it brings tears to my eyes because my mother asked that it be read at her funeral and it's always been even more special to me since then because it's just like my mother speaking to me.

I think I'll frame a copy and hang it by my desk here, I love the idea of just taking quiet time each day to read it.

Thank you for bringing it to us

And, triple dog dare indeed. I WILL go placidly amid the noise and haste today, and if anyone tells me to hurry up, I'll just reply "I was triple dog dared to slow down" and then kick them in the shins.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Another challenge??? I almost skipped this thread, because your challenges usually scare the spit outta me, lol.

Okay...today, I'm going to tackle the basement which is still completely a mess from my move back in March (yeah, I know, that's a long time to still have crap in boxes and be digging through them whenever I can't find something I need.)

Once I'm finished, I'm going to sit on my deck for at least an hour and just indulge in the peace and serenity living out in the country has brought me.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
ebv

This does work, I do it alot when I get home at night, turn the t.v. off, light candles, and read self help books and etc. (my house looks like a libuary) I'll try to remember to write afew titles down tonight and post tomorrow.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
'Round and 'Round I Go....

Oh boy...I remember when I first tried this. It was hard to silence the voices in my head and shoo away stressful thoughts that seem to naturally creep into my head. But when I was finally able to have atleast 20 min. of total me time..it was definitely worth the work I put into acheiving that kind of clarity.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

I do believe it'll be the bookstore for me.....

and a special cup of coffee....

and a few pages of the Big Book.

Thanks for the challenge.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Or However You Spell It....

I don't know what I'll do yet......but I love a challange!
Old 05-31-2007, 12:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

What a wonderful afternoon, went to Starbucks, got a lemonade Tea, (a once in a while treat for me) and went to Borders, bought some books to read at night, tucked in bed, at camp.....yum.....
Old 05-31-2007, 02:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ill Try Ann, But I Dont Have Time Today, Lol
Old 05-31-2007, 02:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My daughter just left to have dinner with a friend, my son is busy with video games...I'm going to go spend a solid hour crafting, watching something mindless on TV, and eating m&m cookies!!! With no guilt!!
Old 05-31-2007, 02:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by laketime View Post
Ill Try Ann, But I Dont Have Time Today, Lol
I think a part of the challenge is to make the time, to take back a portion of your day just for you. Why not give it a try tomorrow? Just amid everything else, just take an hour for yourself.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
I'm HOME!!!!!

Well, I spent an hour this morning just watching the birds at my 5 bird feeders in my back yard. Had a cup of tea and a good book and the weather was perfect, not tooo hot or muggy, just that early morning, warming up. Just saw your challenge tonight, but think I accomplished it even without knowing....lol.

Have to admit...perhaps I shoulda done it in the evening, cause then the rest of the day was flat out trying to accomplish 4 gazillion things, but for that one hour...felt at peace
Old 05-31-2007, 05:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I will attempt to take the dare tomorrow. I will try my best.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

It's amazing the lift that spending even one hour on ourselves can give us, yes?

It took me forever to be able to do this...yes even for one hour. It occured to me that if I broke my leg or had surgery or was very sick, the world would have to go on without me until I felt better. Well I WAS sick, I still am if I don't take care of myself, and doing "me" time helps me keep my balance.

Today I grab all the hours I can and make time for myself throughout the day.

Thank you all for joining in and taking the challenge. I just knew that there isn't a codie alive who can resist a "double dog dare".

While I'm waiting for Loves to check in and tell us how she found her hour today, I think I'll go sit on the deck with my cat and watch the sunset.

Hugs to all of you for being good sports.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
trying to mend

Originally Posted by Ann View Post
to take time just for us that brings us light and a refreshed spirit.

for me it is reading and reading and reading in SR.

When I am doing better, I take time after everyone else is in bed sound asleep and read a good fantasy novel.

But sometimes, I must admit, I feel a little guilty when I think of all of the things I should have done in the time I spent reading.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

Well, I am a little late on this one. But, I still have 2 hours before bed. I think I can fit it in. I think I will go sit on the deck and watch the skeeter eater (bug zapper). That's what we do in the south, LOL.
Anything that I do just for my own peace, right?