Language of Letting Go - May 31

Old 05-31-2007, 02:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - May 31

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

What If?

I was talking to a friend one day about something I planned to do. Actually, I was worrying about how one particular person might react to what I intended to do.

"What if he doesn't handle it very well?" I asked.

"Then," my friend replied, "you're going to have to handle it well."

What if's can make us crazy. They put control over our life in someone else's hands. What if's are a sign that we have reverted to thinking that people have to react in a particular way for us to continue on our course.

What if's are also a clue that we may be wondering whether we can trust ourselves and our Higher Power to do what's best for us. These are shreds of codependent ways of thinking, feeling, and behaving, and they signal fear.

The reactions, feelings, likes or dislikes of others don't have to control our behaviors, feelings, and direction. We don't need to control how others react to our choices. We can trust ourselves, with help from a Higher Power, to handle any outcome - even the most uncomfortable. And, my friend, we can trust ourselves to handle it well.

Today, I will not worry about other people's reactions or events outside of my control. Instead, I will focus on my reactions. I will handle my life well today and trust that, tomorrow, I can do the same.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

What if's can make us crazy. They put control over our life in someone else's hands. What if's are a sign that we have reverted to thinking that people have to react in a particular way for us to continue on our course.
The "what if's" were the head of the committee that lived in my head, along with the "if only's" and that nasty little group that called themselves "woulda, coulda and shoulda".

They used to spend the day making sure that my adrenaline kept rushing and successfully distracted me from taking good care of myself.

The only way I found to get rid of those nasty pests was to replace them with "I can't, He can, I'll let Him" and then turning in faith that a power greater than myself could run the universe just for today.

Today I hang the "no vacancy" sign when they try to show up and take over. When I fill my mind with positive thoughts, good self-talk and a reminder that fear is my greatest obstacle, my day goes better and my thoughts become rested and peaceful.

Try it, just for today, and I promise that it may become a good habit.

Hugs
Old 05-31-2007, 04:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ann-

As usual......you and this post hit it right on the head for me today. The committee is now facing a no vacancy sign. I am sick and tired of other people's dramas.....and they are making me sick and tired literally. Time for me!

Love you, Donna
Old 05-31-2007, 05:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Ohhhhhhh. This is a good reading !

I have been in a work funk lately, and I realized that negative thinking was taking over my days. I made a conscious effort to focus on the positives, and on those things I can control at work.... and already my day is better.

The committee has moved on to some other topic for the moment, whispering quietly amongst themselves.

Thanks Ann !