Each Day has a new Beginning0May 30

Old 05-30-2007, 03:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Each Day has a new Beginning0May 30

I believe this is posted on another forum, but today I found it so fitting I figured whats one more post:

the book Each Day a New Beginning

In anxiety-provoking situations, many women feel unable to act. They find themselves at a loss to come up with an effective response, or any response at all.
--Stanlee Phelps and Nancy Austin

Feeling unable to act is a humiliation, perhaps an embarrassment, and it is habit-forming. Perhaps our inertia is due to our need to act "correctly" and the accompanying fear that we'll err. Unfortunately, our fear of action reinforces itself. The only way to end the vicious cycle is to act - right or wrong. The surprise in store for us is that no action we take will be truly wrong. We will learn not only from the action itself, but also from its ripples.

The response to life we make through action will gratify us; it will nourish us and will make us dread less the next situation that calls for a response.

Opportunities for action are the stepping-stones to emotional maturity. The more we "act," the more able we are to act. And a new habit is formed.

Taking action, even when I fear it's wrong, is growth producing. Without growth there is no life. Today, I will live!
Old 05-30-2007, 04:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

Sometimes taking NO action is the most courageous thing you can do and NOT taking action becomes and action in and of itself.

Just my $0.02 (as opposed to a penny for my thoughts)
Old 05-30-2007, 04:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I think that even before recovery I knew what I needed to do, but I was unable to take that first step because fear held me back.

Somehow I made myself go to a meeting, with a commitment to myself that even if I didn't like it, I would stick with it until I had something else in place. That was huge for me, a great act of courage just taking my first "action" toward helping myself.

As it turned out, that first step (getting myself to a meeting) was the best thing I ever did for myself because it was the beginning of a wonderful new path, the path of recovery.

There is a time to do nothing, when we are uncertain of what the right think to do might be...making a choice to do nothing is an action in itself.

And there is a time to get off the chair, move one foot in front of the other and just start doing something, anything that is better than sitting in isolation hating our lives.

Hugs
Old 05-30-2007, 05:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Or However You Spell It....

Originally Posted by Ann View Post
There is a time to do nothing, when we are uncertain of what the right think to do might be...making a choice to do nothing is an action in itself.

And there is a time to get off the chair, move one foot in front of the other and just start doing something, anything that is better than sitting in isolation hating our lives.

Hugs
AMEN!