1st Time in a forum

Old 05-25-2007, 06:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sha

Red face 1st Time in a forum

Hi my name is Sha, i have never been here before and feel a bit lost, my partner is an alcoholic and i am really feeling the isolation tonight. Sorry if i am doing this wrong.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Sha,,Welcome to SR. There's no right or wrong way girl, your doing JUST fine!!!!

this board is a GREAT place to get perspective when your feeling lost and isolated because of the alcoholic in your life.

If you don't mind me asking, Was there an incident that caused your isolation tonite?

Peace
Old 05-25-2007, 07:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sha,

I just found this place a few days ago, and have already found great comfort in the support and wisdom everyone has to share. I hope you find peace here too.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sha

Today I got a reply to a position i applied for and unortunately i was unsuccessull, would have been nice to share news with my partner, get a shoulder to cry on, just feeling sorry for myself.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, Sha.

I know that you will find a lot of support, answers and comfort here as I have. This really a great place to turn when you are feeling the 'blues'. Jo
Old 05-25-2007, 07:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
full of hope

Welcome, Sha! So glad you are here. I'm sorry for the isolation. It's so hard sometimes but you've found a great place to come to.

You will find support, encouragement, understanding, wisdom.

Don't be afraid to just jump in there! You can't go wrong!

And I'm sorry you didn't get the job! Just means there is a better one out there for you!

Welcome to SR!!
Old 05-25-2007, 07:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Hi Sha! Welcome to SR, always nice to add another member to the family.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sha View Post
Today I got a reply to a position i applied for and unortunately i was unsuccessull, would have been nice to share news with my partner, get a shoulder to cry on, just feeling sorry for myself.

I hear ya girl. No matter how many times I was disapointed my A wasn't there, I still set myself up that he would be.

I'm aslo familiar with the "pity pot". Goes something like this

If he didn't do that, I wouldn't feel this,,,

Ya think?!?!?lol

When I realized I was responsible for my own well being instead of waiting for him to validate me, I found instead of the pity pot, I became even MORE determined. Going on interviews are tough, but even MORE complicated when your all "twisted up" with the A in your life. Maybe looking at what you LEARNED in this interview process, and how to apply it to the NEXT one will help?

Chin up sweetie, there IS light at the end of the tunnel

Peace
Old 05-25-2007, 07:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

he sha

welcome sha- what your describing is emotional isolation and it can be a death sentence. sorry if that sounds harsh, but it will slowly kill you. everyone here has been there done that.

i think this is a touchy subject for me because i have had several very important times in my life when my ah has "checked out" on me.

the hard truth is an alcoholic is not capable of giving support. they are not even supporting themselves. they cannot love you. they do not love themselves.

stick around. you'll find lots of support here. if you want my honest opinion, find someone who is capable of giving you that support.

take care. sorry about the job. it just means that wasn't the one for you. you will find another great one
Old 05-25-2007, 07:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome, sha, glad you're here!

Sorry the position didn't come through. Keep posting - though you feel isolated, you are not alone.

((()))
Old 05-25-2007, 08:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
ICU

Welcome Sha. Keeping coming back and sharing.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
cmc

Welcome to SR,
What helped me was reading about the disease, meetings, counseling and coming here. We have some good information in the stickys at the top of the page to get you started learning about how to live better with an alocoholic in our lives. Please keep posting and read as many threads as you can. It's nice to meet you.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Sha

Many of us find this forum when we are at our lowest points and feeling desperate.. I know that is what I was going through when I first came here. There is a wealth of knowledge and information here that will help you better understand this perplexing and destructive condition ... and learn how to move forward with your life without being destroyed in the process.

Keep reading the posts ...especially those at the top. You have come to the right place.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Sha, a pleasure to meet you.

You know, what is true for me is I dont usually start to search for the answer till the pain is too great to ignore or make excuses for.... that is the point I was at when I found SR. There is much to learn about the disease of Alcoholism.... pull up a chair and talk with us... You have just found a whole new family to share with .... Honestly you dont have to go through it all alone...... we are glad your here.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome, you are in good company. For me, this board has been my saving grace. Keep posting and keep reading. Believe me, we understand.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Fool To Do Your Dirty Work

welcome - as loveRoy says....we understand....and this board has also been my saving grace....it is where i turn whenever i need reminders of what i do and do not want my life to be from this point on....keep reading and posting.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard hun.....my ex was never around either esp. when I needed a shoulder to cry on...what doesnt break us makes us stronger tho...

There is a BETTER job for you out there hun...this one wasn't meant to be.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Sha - I'm so sorry that you are feeling alone. I've found that often times, the worst pain is feeling alone - when we have a partner. I remember many times I'd be in the same room with my (now ex) husband, and I'd feel so alone.

Any relationship should have a partnership. Unfortunately, it seems that an alcoholic cannot give their part to the relationship and their partner. At least not in the way that we see as "normal" or as we'd wish it to be. They are often times emotionally unavailable.

There is a book called "Codependant No More" written by Melody Beattie. It's an excellent read and I'd suggest you try it out. I've read it more than once, and it seemed that I got something new out of it each time. There are also posts here at SR called "Sticky" posts at the top of the forum and there is some excellent reading there as well.
Educating yourself about alcoholism will help you alot. Alanon can also help you. Have you ever attended a meeting?

As much as it hurts to hear - you cannot save your partner. You can only save yourself. If you aren't happy with your life, the situation, etc - you CAN change your part in it. That is not to say that you have to leave either! It's just time to make yourself a priority and find some peace and happiness.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:14 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Sha

Thanks for helping me to feel better about my situation, i know i have the power to change things, i just don't want to leave my partner alone to deal with his addiction, i know what i am going through is really yukky, it must be so much worse for him to be where he is which is a much darker place than mine.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

you are no longer all alone,
welcome!!!!