How Women Become Fools Over Men

Old 05-24-2007, 06:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Something to ponder:

By Annie Kaszina

Ok, so the title sounds a little harsh. By a fool, I mean a woman who sticks around too long in a relationship that is deteriorating progressively, a relationship which becomes increasingly unhappy most of the time. And I'd be the first to admit that I've been there, done that and sported the T-shirt for way too long, until said T-shirt was falling apart and I finally got it: banging your head against a brick wall is not a bright long-term strategy - or, indeed, a short-term one.

We become fixated on our partner's potential, and, of course he has potential, whatever we mean by that word. If he hadn't had potential why on earth would we have bothered in the first place? Few of us have a robust enough sense of self, or are that crazy that we choose to have a relationship with someone we feel has less to recommend him than the average roach.

Still, despite the unhappiness, there are flashes of light, moments when you catch sight of the man you fell in love with. Those moments, of course, make up for the neglect, the criticisms, the carelessness with your feelings, the abuse?

Do they really?

No, of course they don't. But once you start down the slippery path of hoping, excusing and believing, you lose sight of the simple truth that a relationship should bring you joy. If your relationship is generating misery, if the partner you are with leaves you feeling sad, desperate or rejected, then it is a bad relationship.

Nature, we are often told, abhors a vacuum. Hanging on by your teeth and nails to a bad relationship leaves no space for a good relationship to unfold elsewhere in your life.

None of this is news to me nor, probably, is it news to you. Still, it was brought home to me very poignantly this week in the course of a conversation with a young friend.

This friend is in a relationship with a man who is not abusive at this point; the relationship is still quite new. However, he is damaged, fragmented and inconsistent. He can be wonderful, and he can be absent so that, even when he is with her, he is simply not there.

How bad is this really?

Suffice it to say that she has begun obsessing about him, his feelings for her, whether the relationship has a future. She can feel profoundly unhappy about him for days and then, when he changes again and shows his potential, her spirits rise.

How familiar does that sound?

There are days when she thinks the relationship is hardly worth the misery and days when she feels so intimately connected that she is not prepared to let go.

This week this friend reached the stage of deciding that she would end the relationship, albeit in a few weeks rather than days. Then she saw him again and he was at the top of his game; charming, communicative, fun, loving.

She decided to go on with it. She's not prepared to leave a relationship with so much potential yet.

I expressed my concern and she replied: I've listened to so many other women who have been through it, I won't let it happen to me. If I have to get out, I will.

Little does she know how difficult it is to get out when you let yourself be sucked ever deeper into a relationship by the alternating joys and misery.

My reply, I'll admit, was less than gracious. What I heard was a young, naïve woman saying: I'll tread water and keep treading water as I am swept further out to sea and if I need to, then I'll swim back to shore. What I said to her was this:

The women she had listened to were not born fools. They, we, were feisty, intelligent, loving, naively trusting women. We became fools inch by inch . We lost our vision, our sense of self, our clarity about what we would and would not tolerate inch by inch. That is how it goes.

Sure, there are some women who will settle for table scraps from Day 1, but that is simply not true of a great number of women who end up being abused. First we fall in love and then we honour that love by compromising.

Sometimes the compromises are small at the start. Sometimes they are not so small. Either way, when you put them in the balance and set love on the other scale, they seem small.

Maybe we are visionaries. We see our partner's potential, we are prepared to believe in it for them until they can do so for themselves and we are prepared to sacrifice at the altar of this potential. Because one day?

We are foolishly, perhaps insanely, drawn to the myth, or miracle of the happy ending. The worse the lead-up has been, the more miraculous, the more earned that happy ending would be. Yes, we would love our own personal miracle. Who wouldn't?

But here's the thing: there is room in everybody's life for a lot of miracles. The miracle of a bad relationship turning into a good one is probably the least likely one to materialize.

I believe that miracles turn up frequently in all our lives. The only thing is they may not be quite the miracles we were expecting, nor may the timing quite match our time scale. But suppose you were obsessing about one particular thing; how easy would it be not to notice the miracle that was taking place on, or beyond, the periphery of your vision? How easy would it be to let it pass utterly unnoticed? How easy would it be not to claim the miracle that had your name writ large on it?

Persistence, it is often said, is a virtue. Persistence leads people to great results. I would not argue with that. But persistence means keeping a goal in mind and using as many different strategies as necessary to achieve that goal. It does not mean doing exactly the same thing every time in the hope of getting a different result. Yet that is what we do in bad relationships. We keep on hammering away with the same blunt tools and are amazed when we fail to create a thing of beauty and value.

That is when women become fools. We become fools when we progressively divest ourselves of the resources of our energy, our strength, our sense of self, our independence. We all know what happens then.

Annie Kaszina Ph D, is a coach and writer who has helped hundreds of women to regain their clear-sightedness, rebuild their confidence and their self-worth. Annie is the author of "The Woman You Want To Be" and "But If I Say "No" They Won't Like Me"
Old 05-24-2007, 06:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Just plainly tired

Dolly, I just want to say Thank you for sharing that with us.... I see so much of myself described there.

This pointed out to me the most:

The women she had listened to were not born fools. They, we, were feisty, intelligent, loving, naively trusting women. We became fools inch by inch . We lost our vision, our sense of self, our clarity about what we would and would not tolerate inch by inch. That is how it goes.
Thanks,
Jewel

Last edited by Jewelz; 05-24-2007 at 06:30 PM. Reason: wrote the wrong name for some strange reason..
Old 05-24-2007, 07:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
On a tear

It resonates with me, but I don't know if, at 18 or 23 or even 28 if I could really hear it.... life was so clear, so black and white back then.

Today, I am learning (still!) to listen to those with more experience than me... really listen. Accept their truth MIGHT BE my truth... it is sooo hard.

Thank you, Dolly.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thank you
Old 05-24-2007, 10:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

wow! this hit home. I need to print this. Thank you!
Old 05-25-2007, 03:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Spectacular dolly. Thanks for posting this!
Old 05-25-2007, 04:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Society is at fault too. Societies in the West are almost as bad as societies in other parts of the world, it is just more subtle.
Our society says that a woman isn't complete without a man. That is crammed down our throat from the day we are born. We are groomed in manner, dress, and speech as little girls and pre-teens as prospective wives/partners. "Men don't like girls who are too assertive, too smart, too opinionated". "Wear your hair like this, dress like that because that's what men like".
For the most part, women are taught to try to "catch" and stay with a man at all costs, even if she loses her individuality, because that is how society measures our worth. Single younger women are tolerated, single older women are pitied.
I was one of the lucky few whose parents never told me I couldn't do something "because you're a girl", never discouraged me from following my dreams, and never told me how "a girl should act".
Societites' archaic viewpoint is why women stay in loveless, abusive marriages and tolerate certain vile behaviours from their husbands/partners. This is a serious issue that needs to be re-thought in order for us to move forward.
Just my two cents.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Tropi,

I agree, I too was raised to be anything and everything I wanted to be. My world never revolved around a man, though I was raised in the 50's, the June Cleaver era.

Mom always had her own business, and paid her own way. Men were just an addition to her, not a driving force.

My Dad, always told me, be the best you can be, for you, don't ever become subserviant to a man, don't degrade yourself.

For the most part I took their advice, had a few setbacks, but, they were short lived.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My mom raised me with the idea that I should find a guy with money and have a family. She also seems to think that a woman needs someone to 'take care of her'. Well, I never wanted to depend on a guy for money-I kind of took that to an extreme, though, cause I seem to get involved with guys who are flat @$$ broke, moochers. It seems like men are raised with a feeling like they are entitled sometimes, maybe their mom's catered to them and that's where it comes from? I think that women are raised to be caretakers and maybe there is some kind of mothering instinct that we tend to extend to the men in our lives? I realize that I need to not get my life so wrapped up in the guy I'm with. Even though I miss the sex real bad, I don't trust myself to get in a relationship until I have learned how to do that and how to make better choices in men-someone who is reponsible, kind, not an addict, and still fun. I don't really ask for a lot. I don't ask for a guy to be better than me, just to treat me as well as I treat him.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dollydo View Post
Something to ponder:
This friend is in a relationship with a man who is not abusive at this point; the relationship is still quite new. However, he is damaged, fragmented and inconsistent. He can be wonderful, and he can be absent so that, even when he is with her, he is simply not there.

How bad is this really?

Suffice it to say that she has begun obsessing about him, his feelings for her, whether the relationship has a future. She can feel profoundly unhappy about him for days and then, when he changes again and shows his potential, her spirits rise.

How familiar does that sound?
Extremely familiar!! I am going thru this right now!! However, I'm thankful for my awareness of it and plan to knock if off!!
Old 05-25-2007, 02:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you Dolly!
Old 05-25-2007, 02:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

Whew! This post would have done me a lot of good about 30 years ago.
Fortunately, I finally learned.
Thanks for putting this one up.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

I love this post. I have been there and done that and worn the Tee shirt too! LOL!

Now, this is serious.. I don't EVER EVER EVER want to go down that road again. At this point I feel my recovery is working really well and I don't want to screw it up by getting involved with a man.

I want to learn how to feel and do appropriate things and never again get sucked into a hole with some loser guy who is all potential and no kinesis! Until then my attitude is a good dog and my good cats go a long way toward replacing a bad man.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good post they should have a class in high school that covers that or something like it at least hand out copies of it.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

RaeRae said: "Even though I miss the sex real bad"
I have one acronym for you:B.O.B. = Battery Operated Boyfriend
Old 05-26-2007, 05:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Tropi,

Like the ever ready bunny, just keeps going and going, can't say that about my ex!
Old 05-26-2007, 12:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It's so not the same...
I need a real live boy toy...occasionally.