Notices

Antabuse

Old 05-24-2007, 03:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Antabuse

Hi all i'm new here and this is my first time posting.. I have been taking antabuse since Sunday. I wanted to see what it felt like if you drink after taking it. Guess what? I didnt get sick... I've still continued to take it and get queezy after a couple glasses of wine but not throwing my guts out.....

HELP... can anyone tell me why its not working?
Old 05-24-2007, 04:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Be careful ...if it builds up in your system you could get violently ill in seconds.

Now..why is it not working...

Because you want the drink.

I suggest you talk to your doctor and tell them you are experimenting before

something real bad happens to you!

We'd like for you to be around and share with us on your road to recovery...

Love,

IO
Old 05-24-2007, 04:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thats exactly what i'm hoping for so than I know for sure i'll be sick if I drink..
Old 05-24-2007, 04:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome

Why are you still taking it if you are drinking?
Old 05-24-2007, 04:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
tangled up in blue

What is Antabuse?
Old 05-24-2007, 05:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Erie.. I dont want to drink.. I wish this stuff would make me so sick. But if I know I can drink and take it i'm hoping one day it will finally kick in and take its affect....
I know that sounds crazy. If I know i'll be deathly ill from drinking I wont drink
Old 05-24-2007, 05:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Paraposed

That sounds dangerous.

Would you go back to the Dr and tell him, maybe there is something else he can give you that may be more effective?

Rose
Old 05-24-2007, 05:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I probably will call her tomorrow....

Thanks
Old 05-24-2007, 05:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

WHY would you want to take antabuse and drink?
Old 05-24-2007, 05:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Never mind.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Paraprosped.

I think you should tell your doctor about your experiments.

I don't think antabuse is meant to be tested that way. It's not meant to be aversion therapy, but used in combination with therapy/recovery programs.

I've just completed one year on it successfully, and I've now been off it for a week. In that year, I've never tested it by drinking, never had a reaction, in short, I didn't know I was on it at all.

Now, after a year, I simply don't want to drink. In that year, I have worked pretty hard on my recovery program and I feel I have the tools to make the choice to continue to abstain.

Ya know, thinking back, when I was on antabuse, if I drank it would make me sick or maybe kill me. Same thing now, if I drink, it would make me sick or maybe kill me, just a little slower.

Good luck to you

Ron
Old 05-24-2007, 06:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi B to B

Antabuse is a medication that is supposed to make you very ill if you consume alcohol. It prevents the body from converting alcohol(a poison) to something the body can handle more easily. Acetalhyde builds up in your system wihout this intermediate step, resulting in instant hangover type effects. This makes a person very ill, so ill in fact that deaths have resulted depending on the level of antabuse(disulfirim) and alcohol present.

It's one of many meds available to help a person recover from an addiction to alcohol. Discussing these with your doctor is so important.

I've read many posts here and elsewhere where people have had extremely violent reactions and even a death from drinking while on antabuse. Caution is the keyword.

Antabuse is generally well tolerated, except if alcohol is consumed. Side effects are minimal, there is no need to taper off, it's non addictive, and a person feels no effects, physically or mentally.

Keep well

Ron
Old 05-24-2007, 07:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
tangled up in blue

So one takes Antabuse to relieve themself off of an addiction, like an addiction to alcohol? But Antabuse can kill when taken with alcohol...it sounds really dangerous to me. I don't think I know enough about it. Thanks for the info. Best of luck to you, para.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ron.... do you think I should keep taking it? Perhaps eventually it will start kicking in...

I dont know what to do....
Old 05-25-2007, 06:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Keep taking it ONLY if you are going to stop drinking. Waiting for it to 'kick in' while drinking can be FATAL.
What else are you doing for your recovery, para? Are you going to meetings? If not, do you have some other type of support group?
While in rehab we watched a video of a guy who was taking antabuse - then started drinking - he had volunteered for the experiment and had doctors present to monitor his heart rate, breathing etc. He was smug and smiling in the beginning - starting drinking and having a good time - soon became ill - violent vomiting episodes. Nauseated, trouble breathing, crying, snot running down his face. Eventually lost consciousness. Very disturbing to watch.
Don't do this to yourself.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I know someone who nearly died doing what you are doing. She ended up in ER had to have her stomach pumped.

Why are you doing this?

I couldn't have done it with just a drug. We alcoholics are always looking for the quick fix. Isn't that why we drank to begin with? Take a pill, make it all better.

In my experience, sobriety has taken hard work. The work has paid off in ways I could have never imagined, but I had to work.

It's worth it.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Para...Welcome!

Call your doctor....you are in danger.

Payers for your life going out
Old 05-25-2007, 11:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My guess is, you are suicidle???? (dont know if I spelled that right.) I wouldnt do anymore "testing" if I were you. Google it and read up on what happens to people!!

I've been told that even using hairspray and mouthwash.......anything with alcohol in it will make you sick. Actually DRINKING is crazy and dangerous while on it.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you all.... you've really scared me now.... geeze...
Old 05-25-2007, 01:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

good!