Taken by the police - Update

Old 05-23-2007, 08:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Taken by the police - Update

Firstly, thanks for all the kind and supportive comments to my original "taken by the police" posting. They have meant a lot.

An update for you all.

My kids and I have just got back from the local court house where we spent a very long, tough but ultimately good day.

After going through an intially VERY frustrating period, trying to get the Judge, Prosecutor and Court Appointed Defence Lawyer (my alcoholic wife's) to actually understand the situation properly, things took a rapid turn for the better.

They had my AW thoroughly examined by the court doctor who declared that she was actually very ill (well done !!) and needed treatment NOT imprisonment (even better).

The judge also accepted my own and my kids statements which pleaded for her to be prevented from returning to the house.

The upshot was that she was committed by the court to a detox and rehab clinic for 3 months and we were also awarded an injunction that will stop here returning to the home or actively approaching us unless we go to the court and say it is ok for her to do so.

This means she will be finally forced into detoxing and subsequent rehab (or the start of).

The final good thing was that my wife's reaction was actually one of relief and happiness.

She apologised to us all for what she had put us through and said she was glad that we had "turned her in" as this was the only way she was going to get better and that she really wanted to.

Although there is no future for her and I (all gone I am afraid), I am pleased for her and my children.

She has a real chance to save herself, regain herself and to be a mother again.

My children are also protected from her if she fails.

My relief can be touched and now I can actually see in front of me and it looks good. Time to move forward.

By the way, does anyone know of any forums for teenagers to talk to each other about recovery from an alcoholic parent etc. ??

There seems to be one for "Adutl Children of" here but not for children. Isn't that a gaping hole ?? or am I being daft and missing something ?

I know my children would really benefit from really seeing that they are not alone and that there are others out there etc.

God Bless.

Pete
Old 05-23-2007, 08:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Pete not sure about the forum, but alateen is an excellent source of recovery for children of alcohlics and the kids do not need to be teenagers in a lot of areas.

Glad to hear the courts are protecting you and your children.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ICU

That's good news Pete! I'm happy for all of you, and yes, of course for your wife too! Let's hope that the healing begins for everyone starting today!

As far as your kids, how old are they? I know that we do have teenagers posting here from time to time. Maybe someone will come along that will know of an online site specifically made for kids. Alateen is a good suggestion too!

Keep coming back!
Old 05-23-2007, 12:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
full of hope

Hey Pete, Glad things went in your favor!

Sounds like your kids are very lucky to have you!
Old 05-23-2007, 01:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
cmc

I'm so glad that things are heading in a better direction. Alateen is a great program, i have several friends from my Alanon group who work with their local Alateen group. Alateen also works for kids that are younger than teenagers.
I'm glad you are interested in finding some help for the kids. You might want to order some Alanon books, pamphlets and magazines to read and discuss among yourselves if you care to. Don't forget to ask for materials and information at her facility- they should be able to provide what you are looking for.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Pete,

Thanks for the update, sounds like all the bases are covered.

You are right, search out all your options for your children, it is imperative that they get the support they need.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is such a positive note! I am so pleased for all of you! The court system can at times be a good place to get the ball rolling. They took the problem out of your hands and they made the choices so it won't ever fall back on you. Mandated Treatment is the answer for many.Finally she will get 3 months of uninterrupted recovery. May this be the new beginning you have all been waiting for.