Notices

A Small Milestone

Old 05-22-2007, 06:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Small Milestone

This past weekend was a three-day holiday up in Canada, honours Queen Victoria's birthday (no, I don't wanna get into why we celebrate some old English babe that was born 180 years ago... it's a holiday, good enough). It is ALSO the first real "warm-weather" long-weekend up here, so all the RV/camping folks are out in droves.

Now we have an RV in a park on a big beautiful lake in southern BC. We have been there several years and know a lot of people, and spilled a lot of booze together...
Well, being that I am trying to begin recovery, I'm sure you will understand I had some trepedation about the weekend. The last time, I had an anxiety attack and had a stiff one out of my wife's gin, to "settle down". Oh, I settled down alright, after I bought and finished the 26'er of vodka that followed it.... Yes, in one go!

ANYWAY - long story short, I told my wife that all liquor had to be removed from the RV the minute we got there... "I don't care what you do with it, just get it outta there." So she took it up to some friends a few campsites away. AND she held herself to two drinks the first night (at their place with me), and NONE the other two nights.

Well, happy to report, I never had a drop. I can be around OTHERS, because it's their booze, not mine. I just can't have any of "ours" nearby.
A very dear friend (out of town) was very worried for me all weekend, but I checked in with her a couple times to keep her informed - she is VERY HAPPY for me today! Big hugs for her, too!

It's just another "starter-step", but it feels good to have another small accomplishment - and also to know that there are SOME activites that seem to still be possible in a sober life... I don't have to give up everything to recover.

ps - this is probably not news to most of you, but BOY! are drunks ever silly and stupid to be around, when you're sober.... LMAO!
Old 05-22-2007, 07:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done on getting through the long weekend without a drop, TenPacks. You'll be that much stronger for the next time.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
*****! Way to go TP!! Yeah, it's pretty funny to watch people drink and get stupid when we're sober;-)