Notices

How do I stop this

Old 05-20-2007, 03:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question How do I stop this

I am new to here....this is my first post. I am hung over today and feeling like trash. I am dissapointed in myself, again. My wife is disgusted with me. I can't blame her.

It seems so innocent when I start drinking. I am a happy drunk. Never violent. I stay home; mind my own business. I talk myself into the innocence of relaxing with a few drinks. So easy to do. Then I wake up the next day and feel dark inside. Over and over. Every weekend.

I don't know where this post is leading but I just had to do something. I know that I don't really want to quit, but yet I do. Today, I don't want another drink, ever. Friday, I will want 200 drinks. I need to stop before it kills me. I feel like a fool.

How do you stop this? I am clueless. Your stories are encouraging. Thanks.

I continue to pray.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, robarino. I'm glad you found us. You hit the nail on the head re not wanting to drink because of how physically ill you feel, but knowing that by Friday you will want many. It's the plight of alcoholics - that any consequences we may suffer as a result of drinking are not suffice to quell that urge for immediate gratification that we get from the first drink.
If you're serious about not drinking, try your best to stay in today and tell yourself that you won't drink today. Coming here for support is an excellent first step.
I hope you keep posting. Others will be along to welcome you shortly.

Rowan
Old 05-20-2007, 03:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
believer

You are very welcome, there is a lot of support here, a lot of stories of people who stay sober and find a way out of the deep pain.
The only one who can do this for you is you , robarino...How about this post leading you to sobriety? It's always a good time to start and if not to keep trying, that is always positive!

stay strong, you never have to use ever again....it's hard, but you're worth it!
Old 05-20-2007, 03:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Determined

Hi there

This place is great, switch on pc, and hang out here with a bunch of greta people who are reday to advise, encourage and kick A*S when needed. But instead of drinking come here with a pint of water and an open heart! Its a great palce to be.

Congrats on the 1st step - asking for help

Stay around and post to let us know how ya doin'
Old 05-20-2007, 03:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Smile Thank you

Thank you all for your kind welcome and best wishes. I realize I need a support system in order to suceed. You folks seem very nice and I hope to get to know some of you in time.

Thanks again!
Old 05-20-2007, 04:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey robarino,

this place helps me a lot in being sober.

welcome !

D
Old 05-20-2007, 04:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi robarino,

Welcome!

This is a great place to start if you are looking for support. There's lots of information here too.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you

I haven't even looked around this site much. Not sure where to start.
Thanks for your replies....
Old 05-20-2007, 05:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Well I had to finally admit that I was a addict (alcohol is a drug) before I could do anything else. Yes I know all about the weekend warrior for that is how I started to get out of control even when I thought that I was in control.

Personally is what has worked for me is going to NA/AA. I go to a meeting everyday (or for the most part), I get and use my sponsor, work my steps, do my meditations, read the literature, and don't use no matter what. This time around my sponsor told me to live step one for a year. I haven't had to take a drug since May 25, 2006 and for that I am eternally grateful. Matter of fact this is the longest that I have been clean since I joined SR. So it does work if we work it.

I have so many avenues in my recovery program and I am grateful that I can try to do things as suggested. My best thinking got me here so it is probably a good thing if I don't listen to my thinking especially in early recovery. Keep post and BTW I posted on how to fix you profile in the Trouble Forum

With Love and Respect

Vic
Old 05-20-2007, 05:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi & welcome... I remember feeling just as you describe.

I am a recovering alcoholic, sober 35 year old wife and mother, coming up on 18 months as of June 14. I could not have done it without AA. Like you, I grew disgusted with myself, and could stop for periods, but could not stay stopped. I was so frightened to think of walking into AA. A bunch of gutter snipes and slutty trash is what I thought everyone there would be. Little did I know I would run into a famous author, a local TV personality, a CFO with a million dollar salary, a real estate tycoon-ess, many fellow moms (I have school aged kids), and a variety of professional people and blue-collar people. Oh sure. There were the down and out there, as well. But on whole, I was quite surprised that AA was almost completely opposite from my expectations. I have since learned, this disease doesn't discriminate. And I guess I had forgotten, sober alcoholics don't tend to be in the gutter. That would be the drinking ones.

no one there made me say I was alcoholic or sign any pledge cards or sign my name to a membership roll.

I encourage you to explore these forums, especially the alcoholism forum. Post and ask any questions, feel free to PM me any time as well. We're glad you're here!
Old 05-20-2007, 05:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks Vic

Yeah, I figured the profile thing out finally. Thanks for the advice and sharing your story....
Old 05-20-2007, 05:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Smile Thanks came2believe

I appreciate the kind words. I'm not too chatty today as I am hung over and sick. But I'm doing lots of reading in the forums. Thanks again.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Hi Robarino, welcome to SR, I am glad you are here. I remember feeling like you do now!!! Not good at all, however, it is that memory that helps keep me sober. You never have to feel hung over again, if you just don't drink the first one. Please, if you feel like drinking, come here FIRST. There is always someone to help.

Cathy
Old 05-20-2007, 07:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

See if this info helps you

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

Welcome to SR!
Old 05-20-2007, 09:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Robarino ahh I remember the hangovers well. Coming up day 30 ( you will quickly get used to counting your sober days. I hated the day after and try as I could I could not stop at one or two drinks and a bottle or two of wine later then the next morning. I still find it fustrating round "wine" oclock but Im learning how to deal with it , its a whole new learning thing I think for your body and brain to get used to . Im still taking "one day at a time" Im not thinking of tomorrow or next week or next month/ year just the present. Hope to see you post again and hope your hangover is going and your head is coming out of that horrible hangover fog uggh I hated that feeling and now mornings are so much nicer clear head yeha!!.
Ang
Old 05-21-2007, 09:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

coming here and admitting the problem is a great start.

For me, I had to take action.

I had to put as much energy into formal recovery as I did drinking and drugging for over 25 yrs.

AA saved my life..........would you consider having an open mind and going if it completely changed your life?

Tom
Old 05-21-2007, 09:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey Robarino -

Welcome to the SR family.

It starts with just not picking up the first drink - it's that simple. Then you need a support system and a program of your liking. I use AA and it is a tremendous help. I go to meetings everyday to gain hope and strength. It really does work if you work it!!

TinLizzy