Notices

Anxiety Book advice

Old 05-20-2007, 02:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Determined

Question Anxiety Book advice

Hi all,

Hope your weekend been good so far. Just a quick post to ask if anyone has any info on good books about controlling anxiety and panic. i am going to go to bookshop shortly and have a look (before the motivation wears off and the anxiety kicks in!!)

Thanks
Old 05-20-2007, 06:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

Look for something on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.
It's a great way to learn good tools to control anxiety by looking at what we're thinking, if what we're thinking is correct, and how that effects our feelings and fears.
Best of luck shopping and have FUN!

Shalom!
Old 05-20-2007, 06:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Try Echart Tolle's "The Power of Now" It will change you, at least it did me.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Determined

Red face

Hi guys thanks for the info

Got 3 books but will take you advice and buy more

I got "how to master anxiety" - joe griffin and Ivan tyrerell
"overcoming anxiety based on CBT" Helen Kennerlley
"Allen Carrs no more worrying"

I went to book shop on my own and coped till I couldn't find the stairs to get out and had to use the lift (its a huge bright airy lift - but gee freaked out big time- why? I have no friggin Idea!!) I did then manage to queue, well 1 other person and buy the 3 books.

Then in a moment of madness decided to try the busy nearby shopping centre to get herbal remedies so if doc oks it then I can strat them straight away - like after I phone him at 8am tomorrow well nearly reversed down the in ramp as got really claustrophobic in the car park. MADE myself go to the shop and I kid you not my tshirt was soaking with sweat not just arms my back and chest too(sorry for graphicness). Felt sick and got instant migraine type headache Did however get 5-HTP at cost of £14.99. Then came home to find dad waiting to take me to theirs for tea and he gave me hard time about my anxiety/panic all being in my head and pulling myself together etc etc - not helpful AT ALL.

Went to theirs for tea very upset and talked to mum only to discover she suffers the same. DEEP F**KING JOY. She was worrying about me this morning and had to rush out of communion at church today because she had panic attack. Apparently since she was about 35 she has had these overwhelming feelings but it was only ever suggested when she recently ended up in hospital with severe chest pains , she still has to get a 24hr heart monitor to see what happens and a test for over production of adrenaline (sounds familiar!!) Part of the reason she always has whisky/alcohol to hand is it calms her down! She gets hot sweaty feels sick has to get out of places and though she enjoys shopping as in wandering round she gets really stressed out queueing!!! - I knew none of this. Can't believe it it was like hearing about me - SCARY

So BIZZARE Sunday all round here

Cheers for reading
Old 05-21-2007, 01:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Determined

well satred to read "how to master anxiety" - joe griffin and Ivan tyrerell it puts down exactly how I have been feeling and I am just about to satrt the 15 chapters on coping techniques. Aslo got appt with counsellor nurse (cant remember exactly what the name was, but to look at coping mechanisms) Doc has said that I can try herbal stuff but MUST NOT take the efexor with them, apparently that can be dangerous. And I have not to drink alcohol for 6 hours beore or after taking them lol So its progressed (or whatever the opposite of progressed is) to instaed of "just for today" to "just for 6 hours!" - mind you I suppose we all do live in the moment of now so not a bad wee mantra going on there!!

I have decided I am going to beat this anxiety thing by the end of this week - it may never go away but by Friday when I walk into docs I will not shake uncontrollably in waiting room, I will not cry and I will calmly explain all the things I have been doing and all about my mum (shes at same surgery just different doc) and I will be happy that I am alive and I will relearn how to enjoy the good things in life and how to cope with the scary things

I will also stop worrying about being scared of things like shopping. If I am Scared then I am Scared it doesnt really matter what it is I am scared of the fact is I am scared so i need to figure out what I can do about that and stop focussing on worrying because I am scared of "something stupid"

Sorry just had to get all that down so I can look back at this post and remeber the promise I made to myself today.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Enjoy your reading.

indigo