information please

Old 05-19-2007, 03:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

information please

I may be involved in the wrong forum.I have been following the posts here for a few days. Most of what is posted appears to be about marriage partners(husband/wife)
I am not having any diffculties in that department as I am a widow.
I have my Grandson living with me and I am searching for support and ideas new/old so I can share this information with him.
Can anyone point me in the direction of a forum that deals with recovery methods?
I thank you for your time.Rosalie
Old 05-19-2007, 03:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Rosalie!!!

Your in the right place. No worries about where you post, the important thing is that you post

I'm new myself, but I do know there's two places family and friends can post. This ones for alcoholism, the other for substance abuse.

Nice to have you aboard!!!

Peace
Old 05-19-2007, 04:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
full of hope

Hey Rosalie! Anyone who has been affected by alcoholism can be here!! That's you!

There probably are a lot of people with spouses and SO issues but not all. There are parents, children, grandparents, friends, neighbors, etc....

I'm glad you are here because it shows how much you care for your grandson! He is very lucky to have you!
Old 05-19-2007, 04:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, you have found a safe place to post. This board has been my salvation. I miss my grandmother. Your grandson is lucky to have you.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi,
Mine if my daughter, age 23. You are in the right place. There are ALOT of moms here who feel your pain. Read through some of the old post that deal w/ kids, you will get some of the hlep you need!
blessings
susan
Old 05-19-2007, 07:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am not sure if I have all that much to share with you. I am looking for information about detoxification. I thought this forum might have what I was looking for. I will stay on as a forum member.Down the road I may need support.
I am looking for a different type of forum I am afraid. I have found some on my own on the internet. I was just hoping that some of you might have inside knowledge of one.
Thank you for your kindness.
Happy to hear how many of you miss your Grandmother. She is still with you all if only in spirit.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

A group leader has given me a part of SR to check.It is called parenting and relationships.I went there.They had a few posts.But most again were about marriage and boyfriend troubles. Thank you again for my taking up so much of your time.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

See if there is an Alanon mtg in your area with parent emphasis. Have boundaries and know that you can't control or cure someone's addiction. Lock your medicine cabinet and secure your wallet. An addicted person, even a grandson, will do things neither one of you thougth he was capable of. Best wishes for your own discovery
Old 05-20-2007, 02:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I am looking for information about detoxification.
Rosalie, first let me say welcome to Sober Recovery.

Here is a site that will give you, hopefully a detox center near you:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/links/m...ntcenters.html

However, you must remember that your grandson has to WANT recovery.

With the semester coming to an end, he may be wiling.

Now if you are thinking about him doing this at home, it is risky. Here is sticky that will give you lots of info:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-expect.html

Not knowing how much he drinks, he may go into seizures, that, of course means call 911 IMMEDIATELY.

Now, the above being said, have you tried Al-anon. I know you love your grandson very much, however you MUST remember the 3 C's:

You didn't CAUSE it,

You can't CONTROL it, and

You can't CURE it.

With the semester ending, if your grandson WANTS and is WILLING to work harder than he ever has, then after detoxing he can look into AA or Smart Recovery or any number of recovery programs. IT IS UP TO HIM.

He is the one that has to decide to detox. He is the ne that needs to look up rehabs in your area (if he wants to go that way, and if money is a problem (most rehabs are very expensive) he can look into the Salvation Army, they have a very good rehab program and it is free.

Again, welcome to S R.

Love and hugs,

Hope some of the above gives you some of what you are looking forl
Old 05-20-2007, 03:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Rosalie, I would have to direct you toward what I think may be the best and most realistic help available for your grandson.
I'd start by making an appt with your family doctor. Maybe it's time for you and your grandson to have an annual exam. You can have a conversation with the doctor before hand about your concerns. The doctor can bring the subject up of detox. He can also admit your grandson into the hosptial to begin the process.
I believe it is safest, it is discrete, it is the quickest way to the end you are looking for. It would also provide a chance for the doc to be sure you are managing your stress over this.
It's never a bad idea to get checked head to toe once in a while.
I do think this would create a way to open the discussion with someone who has the answers. Your grandsons detox would be under the direct supervsion of the doctor. If nothing else, the doc can give him a list of options and facilites. He can also make the physical consequences of drinking real to your grandson.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Putting it all together

Originally Posted by mallowcup View Post
Rosalie, I would have to direct you toward what I think may be the best and most realistic help available for your grandson.
I'd start by making an appt with your family doctor. Maybe it's time for you and your grandson to have an annual exam. You can have a conversation with the doctor before hand about your concerns. The doctor can bring the subject up of detox. He can also admit your grandson into the hosptial to begin the process.
I believe it is safest, it is discrete, it is the quickest way to the end you are looking for. It would also provide a chance for the doc to be sure you are managing your stress over this.
It's never a bad idea to get checked head to toe once in a while.
I do think this would create a way to open the discussion with someone who has the answers. Your grandsons detox would be under the direct supervsion of the doctor. If nothing else, the doc can give him a list of options and facilites. He can also make the physical consequences of drinking real to your grandson.
As an RN and a recovering addict of 7 years , I totally agree with you. The family Dr. is the BEST place to start and it takes a LOT of the burden off you Rosalie. Your grandson may be making your life miserable but YOU have a life TOO, you need to take it back. He may not want to go in rehab and if he doesn't there are then alternatives that even a grandmother must make, he must leave and not interfere with your life. You cannot FIX him, he does NOT want to be fixed. Hopefully the Dr. will be able to talk to him, maybe even alone and that may also take a lot of burden off you (you made me do this etc). You cannot make another person do anything. I know from experience that I have seen many addicts go into the Emergency room, the Doctor's Office, wherever they could get, IF they were tuellly done with the drug habit. I hope your grandson is. I am saying prayers for you both.....

Many Blessings and DON'T GIVE UP, Just think POSITIVE......
Kahlia
Old 05-20-2007, 08:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

OK an"update" as you all call them
My Grandson is going for a Physical from the Doctor Tomorrow.
The plan is for him to do a few days in Detox.Then he will go from there.
Seeing as he won't return to AA. Him and I have chosen for him to see a Psychiatrists. I understand the one we have picked does have group meetings as well. I will share with you what ever the Doctor tells us tomorrow. One small step at a time.
Some of you have the wrong impression of my Grandson.He is a High functioning alcoholic just ending his thrid year in college. I am proud of him and he takes very good care of the house and me.
I just pray he is able to get this over with before he falls too deeply into it and ruins his future.
I do go to AlAnon with a friend who goes for her own reasons and I tag along.
I am doing well just worried but the fact that he is willing to accept treatment and it happens to fall right on his college break,it all seems to be strangely fitting into place.
Thankyou for your kindness. Rosalie
Old 05-21-2007, 12:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
full of hope

Thanks for the update, Rosalie!

I wish your grandson all the best!
Old 05-21-2007, 02:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think your grandson has an awesome start. I am slo very optimistic because he is at a transiton time of winding down at school and he will be preparing to enter the work force. The reason I think this will be beneficial is because he will also transiton his friends. He will be leaving the college crowd and entering the work.
I think when you go to school for something in particular, you want to do well and be taken seriously. Work automatically adjusts a persons habits for sleep and socializing.
He's willing to go to the doc and wiling to follow the plan of care. What more could we hope for right now?
You must be very proud of him!