New & Not New to Drug Addiction

Old 05-14-2007, 09:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New & Not New to Drug Addiction

Hi. I have a 28 year old daughter who has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, or schizoaffective disorder- depending on the doctor who's treated her. She has been hospitalized at least fifteen times in the past five years for severe psychotic episodes.

She is also a drug addict. I say that I'm new to this because it's just dawning on me how severe her addictions are. I have been in serious denial and have attributed all of her behavior to mental illness. I now understand that, while she may be mentally ill, she is also a chronic drug abuser.

Her first psychotic break occurred after she smoked two quart sized baggies of marijuana in one week. She had a horrible psychotic episode sometime later where they found her wandering around the hospital emergency room saying she didn't want to kill her baby (I had the baby at the time- thank God.) The doctor said she had a very large amount of methamphetamines in her system at that time. Every psychotic episode she's had, other than one postpartum episode, was precipitated by heavy drug use. She's admitted to using methamphetamines, acid, and just about anything that's available but her drug of choice has always been marijuana.

She is currently charged with stealing my credit card. They charged her with one misdemeanor and will drop two felony charges if she completed rehab by May 22nd. She didn't go to rehab so I imagine they will be sending her to prison. She has no home (she's staying at a Salvation Army,) no income, no vehicle (she sold her car to pay someone to keep her), and has lost custody of both of her daughters. I was recently awarded custody of the youngest and the older child's father has custody of her.

I am almost embarrassed to admit all of this, partly because of my own ignorance and partly because it affirms the depths to which my daughter has sank. Five years ago, she was a college student majoring in criminal justice, maintained her own home, worked, and took very good care of her children. It's almost unimaginable think of that person and the person she is now.

Anyway, I am here because I hope to learn from other's experiences and because I desperately need support. This past five years have been an absolute nightmare.

Thanks.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
let it grow!

it's nice to meet you, salliea. i have a daughter who is also an alcoholic/addict. alanon and private counseling really helps me.

keep posting! blessings, k
Old 05-14-2007, 09:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you!

I've decided to join narcanon as soon as things settle down around my house. We were just awarded custody of my 2 year old granddaughter and we're making some major adjustments to ensure her needs are met.

I'm very hopeful it will be helpful.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Just plainly tired

Sallie, I am so glad you found SR you are with people who understand. The addict in my life is my boyfriend his Drug of choice is Crack. We also have a year old son together. I know other moms will arrive shortly to welcome you and share their experiences with you.

hugs,
Jewel
Old 05-14-2007, 10:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi, Welcome,

I have a 23 yo daughter and understand. I'm learning there is lots of hope, experience and help here. It has helped me tremendously the last two weeks.
I think we all (mothers) have felt your feelings at one time or another.

It is easy to misdiagnose someone who is fooling w/ drugs. My daughter proudly told the psyshciatrist that the whole time she was treating her w/ major depression then bi polar, she was "using" drugs (how I hate the street terminology!!) So, who knows is she is really mentally ill or just a druggie? You're not alone is my point. Don't be embarressed or discouraged. If she ever gets "clean" (there it is again) the mental part will be easier to diagnose, then treat if necessary. I know drugs are my daughters problem, first and formost!

God bless,
susan
Old 05-14-2007, 11:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hugs.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just wanted to add my welcome....the addict in my life is my husband. Thank God he's clean for now.

Welcome SallieA
Old 05-14-2007, 12:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Sallie.

Please read the sticky posts at the beginning of the forum - they're filled with really great information.

You'll definitely find support here, and hopefully we'll get a chance to know more about YOU.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, The addict in my life is my 20 year old daughter. At one time she was every mother's dream. Now she is my nightmare. Which came first the mental illness or the drug abuse? Who knows. And it is almost impossible to figure out until they have been off the drugs for a while. If your daughter does go to prison, maybe she will have a chance to figure it out for herself. Stick around. A very good group of people here will help you sort out your feelings. Hugs, Marle
Old 05-14-2007, 01:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

sallie,welcome to S.R... i am sorry about your daughter. my son is my addict.these beautiful children of ours are so sick & there is nothing we can do.there is lots of info here.read all the stickys at the top of the forum.learn to take care of yourself.i have learned to let go & let God because i can not do it anymore.please keep coming back & let us know how u r. i am glad you are going to go to a meeting.you are not alone.i used to think i was the only mom going thru this.it is sad so many of us are.i will say a pray for you & your daughter & grandchildren. hugs, hope
Old 05-14-2007, 02:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
grateful rca

welcome to sr, sorry you are going through all of this, the addict in my life is my hubby of 21 yrs. i agree with the others, and i'll be praying for you and your daughter
Old 05-14-2007, 02:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you, everyone.

I read some of the sticky notes and found some very valuable information. Thanks to those who suggested it.

A bit about me- I am a former paralegal for a criminal defense firm but quit my job a couple of years ago to care for my daughter and grandchildren. Since then, I mainly sell stuff on Ebay and do part-time legal transcription online.

I have been married for seven years to a really great guy and have a 25 yr. old son who, thankfully, has no addiction or MI issues. I have two dogs that are our "other" children and I enjoy reading, collecting antiques, camping, and spending time outdoors. Since we've obtained custody of a two year old, I've spent a lot of time at the playing at the park, converting a guest room into a toddler's room, and making butterflies out of coffee filters and food coloring.

I hope to get to know all of you better. This seems like a wonderful place.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome. I was there with a daughter also. I was mortified that my child, nice home, college, car, could sink so low to live on the streets and smoke crack. She is well now, and has been for over 2 years. Having a child in active addiction is the absolute worst feeling in the world with the exception of losing that child. I'm glad you found us... and yes this is a wonderful place...Marian
Old 05-14-2007, 03:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by patchoulli View Post
Welcome. I was there with a daughter also. I was mortified that my child, nice home, college, car, could sink so low to live on the streets and smoke crack. She is well now, and has been for over 2 years. Having a child in active addiction is the absolute worst feeling in the world with the exception of losing that child. I'm glad you found us... and yes this is a wonderful place...Marian
Thanks, Marian. I'm very happy to hear that your daughter is well and has been for over two years! That's really great and I'm sure you are so relieved.

I am having a lot of anxiety over my daughter being at the Salvation Army. I worry that she will drift off somewhere and I will completely lose contact with her. I'm sure she wouldn't call me if she got into any trouble since I was the one who dumped her there.

She showed up at my house Saturday with no car, no money, and a trash bag full of belongings. One of the provisions of my custodianship of her daughter is that she can't have contact until she goes to rehab so I couldn't keep her here. I tried to have her bond revoked so she could spend the rest of her time in jail but the magistrate wouldn't agree. I took her to a mental health facility and they declined to admit her- so I took her to the Salvation Army. It was the only thing I knew to do to ensure she had a place to sleep.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. The best thing I ever did was start posting here. So many people in the same boat. My son has been using for well over 2-3 years (that I know of). He currently is in rehab for the second time. The first time he was there was a year ago, and after the first week he walked out, went straight to his girlfriend's house, and then when she wasn't home, called me, and of course I came and got him.

Long story short, he left our house over 3 months ago, and was living with a friend and his father. Last week, friend took him to a rehab and he's been there ever since. He tried to con me into letting him come home this morning, but told him a week isn't long enough and if you sign release papers, your on your own. It's so hard trying to stick to your guns, but I know it is for the best. I hope he stays as long as they will keep him and as long as the insurance company will pay. Otherwise, I can't imagine what will ever become of him. He's still very manipulative. Good for you for sticking to your guns on this. My prayers to you and your grandchildren.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Louise54 View Post
Welcome to SR. The best thing I ever did was start posting here. So many people in the same boat. My son has been using for well over 2-3 years (that I know of). He currently is in rehab for the second time. The first time he was there was a year ago, and after the first week he walked out, went straight to his girlfriend's house, and then when she wasn't home, called me, and of course I came and got him.

Long story short, he left our house over 3 months ago, and was living with a friend and his father. Last week, friend took him to a rehab and he's been there ever since. He tried to con me into letting him come home this morning, but told him a week isn't long enough and if you sign release papers, your on your own. It's so hard trying to stick to your guns, but I know it is for the best. I hope he stays as long as they will keep him and as long as the insurance company will pay. Otherwise, I can't imagine what will ever become of him. He's still very manipulative. Good for you for sticking to your guns on this. My prayers to you and your grandchildren.
Thank you, Louise.

My daughter is also very manipulative and I am a pushover where she is concerned. To be honest, I am glad the judge ordered no visitations. I'm afraid that if I didn't have an "excuse" I wouldn't be so resolute.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Just wanted to add my welcome Sallie ... I'm another mom and my son has been clean for awhile now since doing time in jail. There's a ton of love and support here and I'm glad you found us.

hugs ~

deedee
Old 05-14-2007, 07:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

(((Sallie)))........Nice to meet you. My problem is also my daughter. She is 25 and has been using drugs off and on for 5 yrs. We have all been through similar situations here. I feel better and stronger since I've been here. All of us mom's know what's on your heart. My daughter has also been diagnosed with bi polar disorder. I was told that most people that use drugs are bi polar, that is one of the reasons they get into drugs in the first place. Not sure how true that is, just something I was told.
Welcome aboard..........Lo