OT--Great Smoke Out

Old 05-11-2007, 06:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

OT--Great Smoke Out

Boy it is smokey here, fires burning everywhere and the smoke is so thick in some areas you can't see 20 feet ahead of you. I thought last week was bad, but, this is much worse.

In my area it has not rained in over 200 days, and we are as dry as a bone.

My brother lives in Georgia and there is another big fire there...also one going on in California...

I am going out tomorrow and holding a golf club straight in the air, maybe a stray bolt of lightening will find me.

Pray for rain guys, we need it, before we all go up in smoke.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Dollydo- don't do the golf club trick, you know that Florida is the lighting capital of the world. Too many get zapped!!! I'm further south of you and had a big fire just 4 miles away. Black smoke everywhere. At least the wind was blowing it away, but not much. Two days ago you would have thought that it was foggy out where I work, but one sniff would change your mind. Hubby and I figure that there are too many shopping centers and parking lots and too many trees have been cut down. Who knows but it sure is dry.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

be safe and update us....
Old 05-13-2007, 06:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Its awful here as well. Fires arent far from here all through Volusia and Flagler Counties in Florida. The winds have shifted so today we arent as smokey. Friends farther south have the smoke. Mine and my son's asthma has been acting up with all the crazy air.

Is your grass shriveling upp too? ours looks horrible everywhere. Looks tlike we have hayfields not lawns
Old 05-13-2007, 06:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Cinder,

My grass has left the lawn, all I have left is sand and dirt.

Seems like we here in the Tampa Bay area have gotten caught in the middle, smoke coming from both directions.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
grateful rca

i'm so sorry dolly, i thought about all of you guys when i heard the news. i hope it rains soon. be safe and i'm praying for ya
Old 05-13-2007, 07:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
cmc

It's smokey here too...in SE FL, especially in the mornings. It gets cloudy and we hear thunder but still have no rain.
I'm praying alot and about to go out in the front yard and perform a rain dance!
We can water the lawn once a week now-but mine is nice and green still because we have set the mower on high and don't water often anyway. Lots of people are losing their lawns now.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Dolly, we were in Sarasota for 4 days and it was the weirdest sight! None of those infamous FL skies. Friday night we were driving to son's graduation and I said... oh, look, it's a full moon! Nope, it was just a very smoke hidden sun!
We kept teasing the grad saying he hasn't even graduated yet, but he was already "setting the world on fire".
He still has to drive home, but I don't want him going through GA until the smoke clears. Is it clearing up yet?
Old 05-14-2007, 08:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

God the smoke was bad here for a few days thank god it rain here last night and cleared out the air. i have been living in air conditioning for a few weeks now.

be safe.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

I understand rainmaking prayers.. I was a dairy farmer for 20 years and I have done the rain dance many times.

My Exhusband tried to kill himself once by standing on the tractor, on top of a hill, with a pitchfork in his hand up over his head.. in a big thunderstorm (he really did do this). Lightning didn't strike him Dolly, tho he gave it plenty of opportunity!

Praying for rain for you all.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It stormed a bit last night and everything was wet this morning. Guess thats a start. The sky this morning however was still over cast and smokey, and everythings still so dry