Maybe a stupid topic, maybe not?

Old 05-10-2007, 07:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Maybe a stupid topic, maybe not?

Okay here goes, I am an alcoholic so there is no experience for me to draw on in regards to normal people and drinking except normal people do not understand my disease.

Try and take a step back from the hell we have/are put/putting you all through just long enough to help me try and grasp a normal person and drinking.

When you do drink is there a reason?

When you do drink why?

Okay forgetting college let us move to the normal world, when you drink at what point do you stop?

Please do not take offence at these questions, as you all are trying to understand us I am an oddball and would like to gain a bit of understanding of normal drinking.

Here is one that every alcoholic including myself do not understand, how in the world can you all leave a half empty drink on the bar and leave?
Old 05-10-2007, 07:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's not a stupid topic. By definition an alcoholic abuses alcohol. I pour out a glass of wine when I am no longer enjoying it, or can sense that maybe that last sip impaired me. I don't drink to get drunk when I do drink. I enjoy it like I enjoy coffee. The taste, the slight element of relaxation, but when I can tell it may go beyond that, I don't have another drink.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is a great topic!!

I drink quite frequently. In fact, in US terms, I probably drink quite a lot. At least a couple of bottles of wine a week, sometimes more. I drank a lot more when I was living with a problem drinker, actually, but that's probably for another discussion.

When? Glass of wine before dinner and another one with, usually, although not every day. Go to the pub at the weekend sometimes. Never during the day, except perhaps at a summer BBQ, because it sends me to sleep if I do. Never if I am driving, except if I am having a meal when I might have a small glass of wine with my main course. And sometimes I will go totally overboard and have far too much and say "never again". That is usually when I am having a great time socially, too busy talking (which I am known for) and I don't notice how many times my glass is refilled/another drink is bought for me. Not very responsible, I know.

Why? I enjoy it. I like the taste and I like the effect that a few drinks have on me, given the right circumstances. Moderating is not an issue for me, though, because I care too much about other activities in my life to let it interfere - although it's not like I ask myself whether I am going to e.g go cycling or have a drink, because drinking is just not a factor when planning how I spend my time. (I don't think I've explained that very well, have I?!)

How can I leave a half empty glass? Well, for starters, I am a glass half full type, but I think that is also a different topic! It's just not that important to me. I have other ways of escaping from my reality and attempting to fill the hole in my soul - methods I am slowly correcting in my recovery.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

Sometimes a celebration (raise at work, sometimes bc it would go well with a meal, or sometimes bc it just sounds good. I drink wine bc I enjoy the taste, sometimes I will have beer if Im at the beach, lying out at the pool, or at ballgame. Sometimes I turn on some good music in my house, do laundry or household chores, and pour a glass of wine.

when you drink at what point do you stop
When I feel I've had enough..sometimes thats after 1, sometimes thats after 3.

Generally, I drink because I enjoy it in moderation.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
VVV

interesting question ...

... because I was wondering if the fact that I drink has any bearing on my AH's state. Am I condoning his drinking by drinking myself? Or is that codie behavior? (see, I'm learning the lingo already!) Or maybe I should stop drinking myself to demonstrate how un-necessary it is?

There are big differences in how we drink.

I drink at the end of the day, when all my work is done, because I will be ready to sleep after 2 glasses of wine.

I drink wine at the end of the day because it relaxes me. I usually read. It's "me" time where I'm not waiting on someone else (kids or husband or job).

When I get tired (impaired?) after 2 glasses (3 at the very most), wine doesn't taste as good anymore (and the taste of wine is definately the biggest reason I drink it). Yes, I've left a glass half-full when I realize my eyes are getting heavy.

I most enjoy the first glass, and I don't like getting "drunk". My AH usually rifles through the first few ... the goals is to get the buzz. I don't think he even tastes whatever he's drinking. I sometimes think he drinks because that's all he knows to do ... if it's a nice day, go outside and have a beer ... if its raining, pour some wine ... a family gathering, let's drink ... vacation, time to get drunk. Learned behaviors. Some people wake up to a beautiful day and they want to go on a hike, play tennis, go swimming. My AH thinks "stand around and drink beer". Makes it more fun to marvel at the beauty when you're high, I guess.

Maybe it can be summed up by whether you're in for the journey ... or the destination?
Old 05-10-2007, 08:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovering Nicely

Hey Taz,
That's a good question. For me, I am a social drinker. If and when I do drink, it is either a) sometimes when company is over, b) sometimes during a BBQ or party, c) sometimes just to sit and chill, read a book and have a beer and d) sometimes not at all during any of the above. My alcohol of choice is beer. I do not drink any other alcohol. I don't drink to catch a buzz, so therefore I have a certain routine I follow for that: I add ice to my beer in a big red cup (and keep refilling the ice), I time my beers (like one maybe every two hours), make sure I eat plenty, and yes, when it's time for me to leave the party, I do actually pour out my beer that is left. I have at times just opened a beer, did my routine and decided "no, I really want water instead" and that beer will go to waste. My father was an alcoholic, my mother never drank in her life until my father died, then she became an alcoholic (I know, probably was her whole life, but never drank), so alcoholism runs in my family. That, being coupled with the fact that once, many years ago, I drank a LI Ice Tea (tasted good, but I had no clue how much alcohol was in it!) and fell and broke my nose. That did it for me. Hope that helps.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh, and sometimes I drink because the chance to have champagne cocktails with a treasured friend in the Oxo Tower Bar just cannot be missed!!
Old 05-10-2007, 08:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hey taz

maybe a couple times a month i drink two beers at the most- this is when ah is not there - i would never drink around him out of respect for him. if i go out with friends on a rare occasion i will have a drink.

i got really drunk one time in college and i never wanted to feel that again. i did not like the feeling at all!!! so really i stop at the slightest buzz -usually don't even get to that point. for me it is more for relaxation and being with an alcoholic i miss being able to go to have an occasional drink.

dear taz, i think just as we can never understand the reasons an alcoholic drinks i don't think an alcoholic can understand why we don't or how we can stop. continue in your recovery dear friend and stop questioning why. i fear if you go into that line of questioning it will lead you down the wrong path.

you have helped me more than you know in understanding
Old 05-10-2007, 08:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

queenetree LI ice teas are pretty potent 5 shot of booze straight up with a splash of coke even in my final days of drinking 4-5 of those would light me up pretty darn good, but then I am an alcoholic, I would imagine that 2-3 of those drank the way I would drink them would have a normal person laying on the floor sick.

LOL Folks I hate to say this, but I think I understand you alls drinking about as you all understand an alcoholics. Do not get me wrong, if you can shed more light for me I will appreciate it.

Oh yea BTW I have actually tried and get my wife to have a drink with dinner a few times since I quit, she used to enjoy an occasional drink, I even saw her drunk one time!!! She tells me no, she could care less and figures why waste the money!
Old 05-10-2007, 08:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

i fear if you go into that line of questioning it will lead you down the wrong path.
Hope do not worry about that, I spent 20 years enjoying drinking, 10 more years of trying to find that old pleasure and another 10 years getting my arse kicked by King Alcohol.

I have been to hell and have no desire to return, it was way to hard to get where I am at now, I am not sure I could do it again, so I will not put myself into a position to find out if I do have it in me to make a come back.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

taz

i hope you don't beat yourself up because you cannot drink like a "normal" person. believe me - we have our issues too! we are no more normal than you.

also, don't feel guiltly if you wife chooses not to drink for whatever reason. it is her choice and what she really wants to do.

take care hon!
Old 05-10-2007, 08:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I like wine with dinner, though not all the time. When I'm in Italy I will not turn down a limoncello after dinner :-).

Once in a while I'll have a margarita. But mostly I'm sparkling water with lemon or lime.

Taz, I'm glad you asked this question because I think it points to something I truly believe - non-alcoholic and alcoholic brains are wired differently. I prefer that to saying it's a mental issue.

So though I enjoy a drink now and again (especially if I'm in the Oxo tower, Minnie), if my doctor told me tomorrow I would have to give it up completely I could do it and never look back. In our situation, I think AH just could not, and cannot, fathom a life without alcohol.

(((Taz)))
Old 05-10-2007, 08:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The first thing I asked myself when I read your question Taz, is, "is he trying to live vicariously through us?",,he,he,he

Then I realized, I genuinely want to UNDERSTAND the A's disease and am always interested in your perspective. Thank you for being there to offer it. In my eyes, that takes courage.

Wine is my alcohol of choice. I don't drink at all during the week. It interferres with my "day to day". On rare occasions, someone is leaving work, or celebrating a b-day, I will go and have a glass of wine with my co workers to be social. Since I have a commute, I'll usually stop there. However, if I'm enjoying the social, I may order another, but not drink the whole thing. It depends on where my "imparement" level is. I think I'm VERY sensative to the driving thing, because my A is always on the road impaired.

Now the weekends

My friends are guys. The things I like to do are more "male" related. I play in a dart league. Of course thats in a bar. And I'll be honest, depending on my mood, I'll drink to get ~buzzed~. But just as often, I will drink ice water. I find, if I have a particularly busy weekend socially, I'll "pace' myself. usually starting with water or something non alcoholic. In any case, I have a glass of water at all times because I find that as I'm socializing, i'm not particularly paying attention to how much I'm drinking. No matter WHAT it is. Thus the water. If satisfiys the need to have something in my hand.

... because I was wondering if the fact that I drink has any bearing on my AH's state. Am I condoning his drinking by drinking myself? Or is that codie behavior? (see, I'm learning the lingo already!) Or maybe I should stop drinking myself to demonstrate how un-necessary it is?
I've often asked myself the same question.

I don't want to highjack your thread, but can you shed some light on this for us Taz?
Old 05-10-2007, 08:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
let it grow!

hey taz, don't have much taste for it, seeing the consequences it causes others. a glass of wine here and there, with a good meal. NEVER when i remotely might have to drive, NEVER in work situations, NEVER anywhere near my daughter. blessings, good question - k
Old 05-10-2007, 08:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It's a rare ocasion when I drink anymore. I do enjoy a glass a champagne or a champagne cocktail but I am particular. I like a very dry champagne. I used to drink a vodlka and cranberry but I lost the taste for it. I used to enjoy a few kaluha and milks but they are too fattening, I do enjoy a zambuca and expresso with a twist after a special dinner. That's about it anymore. I can easily go to a wedding and not drink but enjoy a drink or two on a quiet summer night on my front porch listening to the crickets. I have an aweful lot to do and drinking doesn't really fit in.
I used to enjoy that 30 minute window between a delightful buzz and realizing I had one too many. As I age my metabolism has slowed and drinking doesn't relax me it agitates me or makes me sleepy.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I enjoy drinking very much and probably drink alot like Minnie does....

IMO

The real difference is that I dont think much about drinking, nothing is really planned around it (unless going out to a club ) and Im not out to get drunk.....

I went out with some friends one night and knew it was going to be a long one, so I ordered my normal merlot and a glass of sprite.... When the waiter arrived I poured 1/2 of the sprite in my wine... why??? Cuz that way when Im drinking Im assured that there is not intoxacation.... I can get buzzed pretty good if I dont pay attention..

The Recovering Alcoholic that was with us almost fell out of his chair because I ruined the alcohol.... He still teases me today about that.

I have dated a few recovering alcoholics and not one has had any problem if I drank, but I can understand your wifes concerns.... If it were an issue for then though I just would not drink and I always ask. In talking with my current bf and suggesting I not drink he actually was a bit taken back..... his response is that Alcoholism is his disease and that he does not want people to feel different around him.... that in life outside of recovery people drink... get use to it, his recovery is his own. BUT if he asked me not to drink.... *shrugs* ....no problem and just like Denny, if the Doc told/tells me not too then I dont.... easy as that.

My ex-AH would/could not put it down and today after drinking so long has a real warped view of people that dont drink.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Taz great topic! Not a stupid question at all! It is like us asking the question to you why do you drink and cannot stop? Do you know? Do you learn this after your in recovery? (Beside the main reason of hiding the pain or is that the only reason)

I enjoy cooking with wine-Italian of course
I enjoy vodka sauce with Penne
I enjoy the taste of a good wine (Cantinna Faccagnini)
I just enjoy the taste just like someone else stated I also enjoy the taste of my morning coffee

When you do drink why?
For a celebration
To relax and wind down from a hard day-or week-
Wine can be soothing when in a nice jacuzzi with candles lit to bring peace back after pulling your hair out from dealing with your A (Just kidding TAZ!) (sort of)

Here is one that every alcoholic including myself do not understand, how in the world can you all leave a half empty drink on the bar and leave?

Leaving a half empy glass is because I have a problem knowing taking that next sip could impair my judgement-behind a wheel and or in life (such as maybe wanting call the X up from 20 years ago and say HEY whatcha doing?)
and getting behind a wheel I know taking that last sip when I have had enough could kill me or most important someone else!
Sometimes the taste and the stomach starting going and yuck who wants that feeling? Unless it is a 10.00 glass of wine! (Just kidding)

Great topic Taz!! *clapping*

Last edited by Rella927; 05-10-2007 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

i hope you don't beat yourself up because you cannot drink like a "normal" person. believe me - we have our issues too! we are no more normal than you.

also, don't feel guiltly if you wife chooses not to drink for whatever reason. it is her choice and what she really wants to do.
One of the secrets to staying sober is the admission the "We admitted we are powerless over alcohol", this is absolutely the most important step of all for staying sober. This is something that I know not only mentally, but spiritually. I know (I don't think I know) until the day I go to that big meeting in the sky that if I have one drink of alcohol I have lost immediate control of it.

No hon I am not beating myself up over not being able to drink like a normal person, I used to! Drinking like a normal person is one of the things that an active alcoholic pursues either into recovery, insanity or death.

I am convinced that we alcoholics get a different sensation then normal people when we drink, first thing we get when we have that first drink is an immediate need for another drink even before we finish the first, but for me (& every alcoholic I have heard share this there was with that first drink an immediate change not just in me, but in the entire world, all was well, worries were gone, a feeling of power came over me, I felt as though I belonged in what ever situation I was in, I immediately became "The Man!". As the years went by the tolerance went up and it took more and more booze to hit that magical point, and then came the end when it was a pursuit of that magical feeling that could no longer be found, the thrill was gone but the need to chase it was over whelming and then it came to the point where I had to drink just to feel normal.

Another difference is I never felt bad when I had to much to drink for years and years, even during the years of black out drinking, I never felt bad, but the magic feeling could not be found.

When I sobered up thanks to AA and my HP I have found that magic again, the magic is in sobriety, a type of sobriety I do not think a non-alcoholic could understand, I will not lose the magic again, I have found it and as long as I keep doing the next right thing I will not lose it.

BTW I feel no guilt about the wife chosing not to drink, her doing that is simply enforcing that she still loves me.

- non-alcoholic and alcoholic brains are wired differently.
Agreed 100%

I was wondering if the fact that I drink has any bearing on my AH's state. Am I condoning his drinking by drinking myself? Or is that codie behavior?
VVV while I was drinking I always used every one elses drinking as justification for my drinking, if you did not drink I knew plenty of other folks that did to justify my drinking!

I will say this, some A's in early recovery can handle drinking around them and even booze in their house, but in early recovery some A's really have some problems even smelling it, little lone seeing some one else doing what they know they should not do!

In early recovery it can be like being a little kid and seeing all your friends eating cake and you can not have any!

I was fine with others drinking around me by 2 months into my sobreity, I know some folks in AA that have over 20 years sober that will not be any where there is booze. All of us are different in that regards.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:51 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

such as maybe wanting call the X up from 20 years ago and say HEY whatcha doing?
Rella there is one good thing about being an alcoholic!!! There is not enough booze on the planet to ever call my ex up again!!!!
Old 05-10-2007, 09:58 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Great Topic, Taz -

I'm 43 yrs old & never been drunk in my life - As an adult child & then the wife of and now the mother of A's, I think even if it tasted good to me, the damage that I have seen the substance cause would override any enjoyment.

I am one of those people, who is very uncomfortable around alcohol. Don't like to go to BBQ's, friend's houses that serve it, and don't allow it in my house. It's just part of a safe thing for me.

Will tell you a funny story - a few yrs back - I had a horrible, sore throat & cough - rx meds weren't helping, no sleep, but was suppose to speak at a meeting in two days. Several friends (not knowing me too well) suggested I drink some alcohol to help me sleep & not cough. So miserable, I thought about it - Maybe one of those frosty drinks - it's cold, and maybe it would help me sleep. But, oh man that's on the other side of town - I'll just stop at Sonic and get a Milk Shake - that I'll probably be close to the same thing.
Told this to my AH. He laughed - Said "No, a Sonic Milk Shake & Frosty Strawberry Colada is NOT the same thing"
My AH says something is so WRONG with me!!!!

Oh, well - The chocolate milk shake tasted good to me.