Notices

Somewhat Confused

Old 05-08-2007, 02:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Somewhat Confused

Hello Everyone,

I just joined this site today. I think I drink too much, 8 or 9 beers 3 times a week at the minimum.

I consider that to be a problem, how severe? I guess it depends on who am I comparing myself to? doesn't matter. I need to change my ways, I have acted stupid, have said stupid things while under the influence and have managed to screw up romantic relationships and driven away good women due to stupid behavior caused by drinking too much.

I just need to stop. I am here to learn about other people's experiences to help me find my way out of this.

regards
Old 05-08-2007, 02:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Rumi,

Welcome!

Take a look around and make yourself comfortable.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Although I am in no position to give advice, just encouragement...

Read often here. Even if you don't feel like posting or logging in. We are many, and there is much to be learned here.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
believer

Welcome. There are many inspiring people here with good stories of wisdom to share. Glad you are here and ready to make a change!

Karim
Old 05-08-2007, 02:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by Rumi View Post
I just need to stop. I am here to learn about other people's experiences to help me find my way out of this.
Perfect! Keep reading and posting, there's plenty of experience here for everyone. Welcome, it's always great to have someone new here!
Old 05-08-2007, 03:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Rumi,

Welcome to SR - this is an unbelievable site - with real people who care. I hope you keep posting.

Rowan
Old 05-08-2007, 05:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone, I think I'll be sticking around. This site seems to be one that provides great value to many.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Rumi !

Stick around long enough, and you'll hear "your" story. They're all a little different. Some lost things, some didn't. But we all have the desire to quit drinking. And a lot of of us have. (Yours truely included)

Good Luck on your journey. Hang on to your *ahem*, it's a wild ride ! But it's sooooo worth it.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi, Rumi.
Sounds like you are willing to change. That in and of itself is an important step in the right direction. Even if you aren't sure you have a problem, your open-mindedness will be of use to you if you do decide you want to stay sober. One way to tell if you have a problem is by looking at the effect alcohol is having on you. Is it making your life unmanageable? Is it hurting you physically, emotionally, or spiritually? Is it interfering with your social life or career? Only you know the answers to these questions. Everyone has a different bottom... you dont have to be lose everything to have a problem. Hold on to your willingness to learn and improve.
You've come to a wonderful place. I've found so much support here and so will you. Welcome=)
Old 05-08-2007, 09:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Rumi....

Read read read....

And then share share share....

More will be revealed as we go along together.

Welcome!!

:

IO
Old 05-09-2007, 06:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
let it grow!

keep posting, rumi! blessings, k
Old 05-09-2007, 08:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to see you here!

Welcome to SR...
Old 05-09-2007, 10:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Rumi!

As the others said, just stick around, read some threads, and keep posting. This is a great place, nice to have you here.

confound
Old 05-09-2007, 01:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Red face need some advice

I am what people call a binge drinker I suppose. I wouldn't drink everyday but when I would, 2-3 times a week, I would drink until black outs. I have not had a drink in 14 days today. I have been overwhelmed with emotion!! And I am completely nauseous and have no appetite. I feel like I can't breath and my heart is pounding out of my chest. I feel tired and ad and am sort of afraid to go anywhere. I cry and afraid, I don't know why?!?!? I mean there is nothing for me to literally be afraid of or sad about in my life. I just got married and am so very happy about that and am looking forward to starting a family soon. This was a major motivation in stopping that lifestyle and although I am proud of myself in my head, my body and emotions are all over the place.

I want to know if this sounds normal and is just a part of it or am I losing it?!?!?!

Soooooo nauseous!!!!!
Old 05-09-2007, 07:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi lotus, I am sorry you're going through such tough times. Have you in the past seen a good therapist? I think these types of situations call for some sort of professional intervention. I am thinking about seeing one myself, want to try to get to the root causes of why I binge drink as you called it very correctly.

I am not sure if there are "root" causes for this or some say this is a medical condition like diabetes or other diseases. I think for everyone it has turned into a medical situation due to our choices, we need to take responsibility and not the fact that this is something that happened to us. Perhaps there a genetic predisposition, I am not completely sure about the scientific research but what I am sure about All who have this supposed genetic predisposition do not drink.

Hang tough and take action to deal with the overwhelming emotions. Sorry I did not have any magical thoughts to share and help you ease the pain.