Notices

I'm not sure what this is

Old 05-08-2007, 07:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
61'st day sober as of:12/18/07

Unhappy I'm not sure what this is

Good morning

As the subject line suggests, I'm really not sure what this is but the last 4 times I have consumed alcohol (usually 8-10 beers) rather than getting the "buzz" I used to get, I have actually been feeling really crappy. I feel dizzy and spaced out, lots of brain fog and the alcohol does not make me feel "good" like it used to. Is this simply a progression of my illness (alcoholism) or what exactly is going on here?.

Then there are the hangovers like the one I'm having this morning after 3 days sober. It is not fun at all (understatement). Spaced-out, anxious, unsteady on my feet, dazed feeling, sick at my stomach, etc.

On day 1 of my sober periods, I generally feel really hungover (we all know what that's like). On day two the anxiety, out-of-it feeling, sweats, insomnia (usually waking up "too early") and some mild nausea set in. I also experience a low-grade fever (99.2-99.4) after eating a meal. On day three, the cravings kick in and this is what happened last night and why I drank 10 beers and feel horrible this morning.

So I ate a big salad to try and get some healthy stuff in me.

So does any of this sound like what others here go through in their struggles with alcoholism?. Just knowing that I'm not alone is part of the therapy for me so any replies will be encouraging to me as well as very much appreciated.

Thank you so much, Need4Change
Old 05-08-2007, 07:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Need4Change View Post
Good morning

As the subject line suggests, I'm really not sure what this is but the last 4 times I have consumed alcohol (usually 8-10 beers) rather than getting the "buzz" I used to get, I have actually been feeling really crappy. I feel dizzy and spaced out, lots of brain fog and the alcohol does not make me feel "good" like it used to. Is this simply a progression of my illness (alcoholism) or what exactly is going on here?.
Yes this is the progression, now you have to drink more and more to get the same effects. For me I found that it simply became impossible to feel the "buzz" any more. I just continued to feel crappy... sorta like a permanent dose of anta abuse. On the upside, I don't seem to crave alcohol anymore!

Then there are the hangovers like the one I'm having this morning after 3 days sober. It is not fun at all (understatement). Spaced-out, anxious, unsteady on my feet, dazed feeling, sick at my stomach, etc.
Yes, that is what I experienced too

On day 1 of my sober periods, I generally feel really hungover (we all know what that's like). On day two the anxiety, out-of-it feeling, sweats, insomnia (usually waking up "too early") and some mild nausea set in. I also experience a low-grade fever (99.2-99.4) after eating a meal. On day three, the cravings kick in and this is what happened last night and why I drank 10 beers and feel horrible this morning.
Same for me...

So does any of this sound like what others here go through in their struggles with alcoholism?. Just knowing that I'm not alone is part of the therapy for me so any replies will be encouraging to me as well as very much appreciated.

Thank you so much, Need4Change
Yup, sounds so familiar. So, what are you gonna do about it?

Levi
Old 05-08-2007, 07:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
61'st day sober as of:12/18/07

Originally Posted by leviathon View Post
sorta like a permanent dose of anta abuse
I couldn't have said it better myself because that's EXACTLY what it feels like. In fact, while I was drinking last night I was thinking this very same thought. I am going to go back on the Naltrexone because it stops my cravings dead in their tracks but it does make me extremely fatigued.

- Need4Change
Old 05-08-2007, 07:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by leviathon View Post
Yup, sounds so familiar. So, what are you gonna do about it?
Good morning Need, welcome, great to have you here.

Yes, what you're describing is the progression of alcoholism and normal symptons of withdrawal when you're between drinks. If you'd like to know more about it get the book Under The Influence and you'll probably identify with the stages of the disease.

So as Levi asked, what's your plan? It's very difficult to stay sober alone, AA can be a great benefit, and it sounds like you might even benefit from help with detox.

Keep posting and reading, you'll find what'll work for you.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
let it grow!

good to see you on the board today, need! keep posting. and i agree - a plan helps. blessings, k
Old 05-08-2007, 08:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I think as others have said, it progresses and gets worse and you feel worse.

I hope you keep reading and posting.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I actually got to the point where I became more of a light weight. It Used to take me 6 or more drinks befor I would black out. It now only takes 3.

I wish I would just pass out when I drink to much but something about my chemistry; keeps me drinking long after I am too wasted to remember.

I dont know if any of the rest of you experience this; but it certainly has left me vulnerable to being taken advantage of.

Im glad to be sober now for 9 days.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I believe it is progression. In my case, when beer didn't cut it any more, I did beer and shots of whiskey. Eventually that didn't do it anymore and I went to 100% mixed drinks, no beer at all.

Even that eventually failed me, and I went to bourbon & soda AND a shot of Jaegermeister!

Oh yeah and occassionally some illegal drugs too!

So don't let your self go any farther, from this alcoholics viewpoint, it does not get any better.