Notices

Celebrating recovery

Old 05-06-2007, 07:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Exclamation Celebrating recovery

My two years approaches and I have been hearing a lot of talk about not counting clean time and not celebrating milestones.

That of course is a personal choice but for me I need to think what message I am sending newcomers and those fresh back from relapse.

For me milistones are a personal acheivement and celebration of that. Just as important they are a celebration of Recovery with those that are on the journey with me and those who have helped me. I believe celebertaing milestones is also an example for others so lets be thougtful how and waht we share.

I am looking forward to celebrating two years clean in two weeks time and living a great life with all its ups and downs, life on lifes terms not on my terms as I know where that takes me.

Love Kevin
Old 05-06-2007, 07:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((((Kevin)))))))

way to go sweetie!!! I dont count simply because I am afraid to but WOW TWO years!!!!!! Very Impressive!!!! I wish nothing but MORE years!!!!! WTG my friend!!!!!

Love Liss
Old 05-06-2007, 07:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Kevin, congrats on the almost two years. That's awesome.

I wasn't nay saying counting the milestones, I was just saying for me, I did not focus on them day to day. I reflect on them from time to time. It is easier for me to deal with one day at a time.

Peace, Levi.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

**{kev}} celebrate! two years is amazing! look how far you've come. i think of milestones as good places to stop and reflect how much growth i've had etc. i think you should celebrate--you are an inspiration to so many on this board and an encouraging friend to so many as well!

so proud of you, my friend!
Old 05-06-2007, 07:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Raised from the Dead

two year is amazing, nothing short of a miracle. definitely worth celebrating! my 1-year was a spiritual experience and i celebrated hard. i celebrate recovery every day. i just came from this young peoples meeting and running into all your friends is worth celebrating.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Thanks guys.

I to do my recovery and now my life one day at a time, that saying is so much of my recovery, but I just believe that celebrating and sharing milestones is so important and I was not singling anyone out, in fact I was primarily thinking of comments made in and around the rooms of NA. It seems mile stones are not in fashion at the moment both at SR and in the rooms, well I am here to tell you they are for this little addict as I believe they have a mighty message in them.

Love Kevin
Old 05-06-2007, 07:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Originally Posted by scootinbabe View Post
**{kev}} celebrate! two years is amazing! look how far you've come. i think of milestones as good places to stop and reflect how much growth i've had etc. i think you should celebrate--you are an inspiration to so many on this board and an encouraging friend to so many as well!

so proud of you, my friend!

Already dancing scoot, wanna join in

I meant this thread to be about carry the message - lol but thats out of my control thank God!

Kevin
Old 05-06-2007, 08:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wink

Good topic. My personal belief is that milestones are worthy of recognition. They are in most other aspects of life; why not in recovery? I recall celebrating three yrs of sobriety in 2006, and how special that felt. Unfortunately I soon relapsed, and yes, after three yrs i did feel particularly awful. I would have felt miserable anyway, and having three yrs of sobriety did give me a certain confidence that I could live very well without drinking. (The only peril I see is that one could become overconfident or lean toward denial of their problem at a certain point, but that's each individual's responsibility to guard against.) I feel the same way now, but I also believe that for the long haul I need a program and support. I'm currently pursuing AA. In the past, I simply quit drinking and that was that.

And congrats on your looming milestone.

I'm going to log off for tonight after spending plenty of time reading today. Glad I found this board, and I'll be back. Like it or not.

Daniel
Old 05-07-2007, 05:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
let it grow!

appreciate all the rewards, nogard - you deserve it. cuddles, k
Old 05-07-2007, 08:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Hey Kevin you celebrate that 2 year mark! That is a very important achievement not only for you, but yes for the newcomers and the ones coming back, they see it can be done.

I have always celebrated by sober birthday. That date is MORE IMPORTANT to me than my natal birthday. After all, it wasn't until I got sober that I actually started living.

Congrats Kev.

Love and hugs,
Old 05-07-2007, 08:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
On a tear

(((Kevin)))

I love recovery celebrations, but from the CODIE side of things, I gotta tell ya - they make me nervous. My son went back out right after his first year. But what I know today is that his relapse was well in place before the date... the date was just a way for him to mark "go"! I think, from what he told me, he just wanted to see if he could stay sober a year... and he did. But that was his goal, he was done... voila - back out again.

My daughter doesn't celebrate recovery dates, but does keep track of her overall years (2!). (She also doesn't have a program she is working.)

You however, aren't ONLY celebrating the milestone, but I see you in here working a recovery EVERY day... to me, that is worth marking. My prayers are that you are here 40 years from now, wondering if you might want to have a special celebration to mark your sober time... and that you invite each and every one of us!

((Kevin))
Old 05-07-2007, 08:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nogard View Post
My two years approaches and I have been hearing a lot of talk about not counting clean time and not celebrating milestones.

That of course is a personal choice but for me I need to think what message I am sending newcomers and those fresh back from relapse.

For me milistones are a personal acheivement and celebration of that.
Love Kevin
Hi Kev,

I am with you on celebrating sobriety...Just twenty four hours of sobriety is a huge accomplishment...

Love and peace...
Old 05-07-2007, 02:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Originally Posted by BigSis View Post
(((Kevin)))

I love recovery celebrations, but from the CODIE side of things, I gotta tell ya - they make me nervous. My son went back out right after his first year. But what I know today is that his relapse was well in place before the date... the date was just a way for him to mark "go"! I think, from what he told me, he just wanted to see if he could stay sober a year... and he did. But that was his goal, he was done... voila - back out again.

My daughter doesn't celebrate recovery dates, but does keep track of her overall years (2!). (She also doesn't have a program she is working.)

You however, aren't ONLY celebrating the milestone, but I see you in here working a recovery EVERY day... to me, that is worth marking. My prayers are that you are here 40 years from now, wondering if you might want to have a special celebration to mark your sober time... and that you invite each and every one of us!

((Kevin))

Thanks everyone.

BigSis 40 years would make me 93 but why not and your all invited to be part of my birthday celebrations just as you are part of my recovery every day.

Praying for your son BigSis and laurie yes my recovery birthday is also more important than my bb birthday.

Recovery is Love in action.

Kevin
Old 05-07-2007, 02:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I can see that one day at a time is the only way to go because "Beyond the mountains there are mountains again".
Old 05-07-2007, 02:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
believer

thanks for the inspiration

karim
Old 05-07-2007, 03:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Kevin, I celebrate with you in your 2 year recovery! Way to go.

I hope you did not think I was minimizing your milestone in my earlier post; mentioning one day at a time.

I was speaking from where I am at and that has been one day at a time to my current milestone of 8 days.

"Yesterday I dared to struggle. Today I dare to win"

Bernadette Devlin: [/COLOR]
Old 05-07-2007, 07:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Kevin,
SOO MANY CONGRATS! Two years is amazing... truly inspirational to newbies like myself who are counting days! Take pride in what you've accomplished=)
Old 05-08-2007, 01:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Thanks guys, one day at a time is how I do my recovery still and how I intend to continue.

Kevin

PS its still a few days off Sobriety date is 21st May 2005.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:57 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Day at a time sure adds up Kevin.

Way to go.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:08 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Pffft......

Look at me...I have just 11 months today and I am proclaiming it everywhere.....

Go tell it on the mountain......

I believe it is good news for all, especially the newcomer who hears our story

and says "If they can...I can". We all are on the same voyage and help

one another along on the trip.

It's about good will..

It's about love.

:

Sherry