Notices

Good days and Bad days

Old 05-06-2007, 11:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Good days and Bad days

Yesturday was a good day! My 22nd day sober! It started out great had a good night sleep, my sciatica pain was not too bad, and I got things accomplished. But last night I had a rough time, my anxieties returned and I was not able to fall asleep untill 6:00 a.m. I slept maybe 3-4 hours (restless sleep). I feel anxious and depressed today.

Do good days outnumber bad days as time goes on from your last drink? I've heard people on this board take about it being a roller coaster the rest of your life! Is it alcohol that keeps pulling you back or is it just life and its problems? Maybe its just having to make the adjustment of dealing with life without that anti-anxiety depresant drug alcohol!
Old 05-06-2007, 12:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

absolutely good outnumbers bad... doesn't seem like that at first b/c there have to be a number of bad days while your system clieans itself out... then there are the days when your mind has to work through what you have done while using.... but eventually you hit this nice balance where the good outweighs the bad and you are able to gain perspective on your life.

Congrats on the sober time and keep up the good stuff!

Levi
Old 05-06-2007, 02:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I wa sober for 7 years; and after awhile it just wasn't part of my life anymore; beyond wishing I could be a casual drinker.

3 years ago I picked up that first glass of wine; with the belief that I was older and would not fall into the same patterns "WRONG". I am 7 days sober and cannot see it getting any easier. However from experience I know it will.

The more time you have sober the easier it gets.

Hnag in there; you can do it.

~Toomutch
Old 05-06-2007, 03:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi newtosobriety,

Congratulations on your sober time! And yes it gets better. Just hang on real tight during the difficult days, and keep doing the work to stay sober, no matter what.
Things will ease off eventually. Hope you sleep better tonight.

Rowan
Old 05-06-2007, 03:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newtosobriety View Post
Yesturday was a good day! My 22nd day sober! It started out great had a good night sleep, my sciatica pain was not too bad, and I got things accomplished. But last night I had a rough time, my anxieties returned and I was not able to fall asleep untill 6:00 a.m. I slept maybe 3-4 hours (restless sleep). I feel anxious and depressed today.

Do good days outnumber bad days as time goes on from your last drink? I've heard people on this board take about it being a roller coaster the rest of your life! Is it alcohol that keeps pulling you back or is it just life and its problems? Maybe its just having to make the adjustment of dealing with life without that anti-anxiety depresant drug alcohol!

Even though I relapsed recently and have been sober only 12 days, I've had several yrs of sobriety, relapses, extended sobriety...point is, I have ample perspective. Yes, my experience is that your moods, depression, and sleep will improve. It has taken about 3 months for me to return to my normal self in the past. Remember that everybody is unique, and your mileage may vary. I would expect a slow, progressive improvement, though. And some days you'll take a step back. I just know my worst day sober is a heckuva lot better than my best drunk day! (That sounds like the leavings of a large farm animal , but it's true).
Old 05-06-2007, 04:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Newtosobriety,

As the others have said, it definitely does get better and it's not always going to be a roller-coaster. Your sleep will probably improve, but for me, sleep is an ongoing issue. I'm often online at 3 AM! But, hang on and keep reading and posting. You'll get through this.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Congrats on your clean time New, I no longer have the obsession and complusion to use, but in early days it was YES/NO all day long in my head. These days not feeling ok is just a small part of this wonderful gift of a life.

Kevin
Old 05-07-2007, 05:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
let it grow!

one day at a time, new. blessings, k
Old 05-07-2007, 06:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I'm right there with you, newtosobriety.

Today is day 19 for me, and sleep has been tough for me as well. In the last few days I've finally fallen into a bit of a sleep routine, and it's making all the difference. Get yourself good and tired today, no naps, go to the gym or for a walk or whatever your options are for exercise, hot bath and herbal tea before bedtime, and see if that will help send you off to sleep.
Wishing you some peace and sleep!!! Be proud of all these non-using days you've got under your belt!!

Hope
Old 05-07-2007, 07:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Congrats on your 22 days, the longer you are sober the better things get, I have found that things have improved drastically for me thanks to the 12 steps of AA, drinking was but a symptom of my problems, thanks to AA not only have I learned how to stay sober, I have learned how to stop the pain, how to become a better, happier person.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on 22 awesome sober days!!!!!

YES YES YES...The good outweighs the rough days. Life still happens but the way you respond to life, as you keep growing in your sobriety, will be more calm, confident and clear headed, so that even a seemingly bad day can turn out not so bad.