What have you done that's outside your 'comfort zone'?

Old 05-06-2007, 10:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A work in progress....

What have you done that's outside your 'comfort zone'?

Happy Sunday everyone!

Just a thought to throw around today. When is the last time you did something that was totally outside your comfort zone, just for fun?

Here is my deep, dark secret.....

Last Friday night, I took my 10 year old to a professional wrestling event. (Yeah-I said wrestling!!) He is a HUGE fan of WWE, RAW, etc, and they came to town, so I took the plunge and went with him.

I had a blast! So completely outside my 'normal' (whatever that is...) choice of things to do.

Oh, and John Cena is the man!!!!

One of the 250 (!) pictures I snapped......(can you say H-O-T?!?!?!?)

:Weightlif
Old 05-06-2007, 11:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

I went swimming in the ocean,
deep enough for the sharks to eat me up.
Does that count?

Last edited by mooselips; 11-19-2007 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress....

Absolutely! That would make me REAL uncomfortable LOL!
Old 05-06-2007, 11:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

duet: you sure can say HOT! I know alot of people that are closet wrestling fans. I could never get into it though. But my husband and son always liked it. With that picture I think I could learn to like it real fast. Lol.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress....

I'm not exactly a fan, either, but I have to say the men in the ring were all pretty fine! LOL!!
Old 05-06-2007, 02:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

I went to the race track for the kentucky derby (in philadelphia not churchill downs)
Old 05-06-2007, 02:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
grateful rca

let me see, i can say that john cena is hot, my kids and grandkids love wwe. we even have a lot of action figures around here. only thing that i've done lately is to kind of let go of the addicted drama. time to make some fun plans
Old 05-06-2007, 05:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress....

Originally Posted by teke View Post
let go of the addicted drama. time to make some fun plans
I'm with you on that one!
Old 05-06-2007, 05:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I bought one of those really deep kiddie pools last summer--I went in it every night--surrounded by candles-with opera playing!!! I am sure the neighbors who could see thought I was insane--I enjoyed every minute of it stupid as it sounds!!!
Attached Images
File Type: gif
hi.gif (32.4 KB, 49 views)
Old 05-06-2007, 05:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thats mine too, letting go of the addicted drama and Im definately out of my comfort zone in not getting involved and letting go.

I realized something today, Ive enver broken up with someone, I usually grew so distant theyd leave me, even casual things I didnt know how to do it, kinda like saying NO, it was a tough word, so by sticking to my dont come around me I dont want any contact with you if you arent supporting us, and taking care of you, then by doing that Im definately outside my comfort zone, but its getting more comfortable
Old 05-06-2007, 07:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

i figured out how to mix gas and oil for my weedeater.
that has to be it...I have been divorced a year this month and that has to be the last of the things that I have to get done without thinking....hmmm..how'd he do that
Old 05-07-2007, 05:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A work in progress....

Ladybugg,
I know that feeling! I have a very green pool in my backyard that I have got to figure out what to do about. For all of his faults, exAH did take care of some things around here (although it usually took him a whole lot l-o-n-g-e-r than it needed to!).
Old 05-07-2007, 06:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
let it grow!

i've been doing a lot of web and face to face presentations for my new job. it's out of my comfort zone - not because i don't like to present, but because i don't know my product very well. i feel great reward after doing it.

i also dug up and moved 4 huge bushes in my yard this past week. out of my physical comfort zone, that's for sure. sore over here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-07-2007, 06:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Redoing my spare bathroom....completely. Replacing the floors, tiling, painting, recaulking, etc..... I have absolutely NO idea what I am doing and have never done it before...its kinda outside my comfort zone because normally, I'd want to hire someone to come in and do it but not this time......

How will I ever know if I could do it or not if i don't try........

I do have to say, its harder than I ever imagined it would be.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I try to do one thing that is outside my comfort zone every month. Well, littler things every week, but bigger things once a month. I want to know that I'm strong enough to handle whatever comes (it's kinda my thang) so I stretch a little bit, little bit, little bit.

Like needles. Scared to death of needles, so I started donating blood. Now I'm not. Needles? Pshaw.

Going out to dinner or lunch by myself, with just my journal and a book. I always felt like everybody was looking at me...I wouldn't be caught DEAD going out alone to a meal or a movie. That took some practice, but now I'm wondering what the big d*mn deal was.

Heights....yuck. So I took a rock-climbing class for women. It was fun and safe (you're all harnessed up...couldn't fall if you wanted to). I still don't like heights but I feel now like it's a choice, not a phobia.

Getting rid of everything but basic cable. I'd always thought that I "deserved" all those extra channels and I "needed" them in order to have a fun evening. I discovered that I much preferred the extra fifty bucks in my savings account every month. Now I feel like I'm investing in myself, not in "The Sopranos"

Quitting the job that was stressing me out. Convincing myself that I'd find work that I loved doing, somehow. And I did. I love getting up in the morning now.

Stuff like that....one a month, like a vaccination.

Jwife, next I'm going to try to learn how to do tile! (eeeek!)

Love,
GL
Old 05-07-2007, 08:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Going out to dinner or lunch by myself, with just my journal and a book. I always felt like everybody was looking at me...I wouldn't be caught DEAD going out alone to a meal or a movie.
That would be really out of my comfort zone too. Ill have to try it one day at lunch
Old 05-07-2007, 10:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Speaking in front of different recovery groups - last weekend, I shared my story at an AA meeting in Pasadena,TX. My HP keeps providing opportunities for me to do this and it is very much out of my comfort zone. Rather stay in my safe little Al-Anon meeting in Lake Charles, Louisiana.

But it was fun to meet lots of new recovery friends, especially on all sides of recovery, AA, Al-Anon & Alateen.

Peace,
Rita
Old 05-07-2007, 05:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

duet, doesn't it feel good to do something completely out of your ordinary? I love it.........looks like you had a blast. When my husband was living he was so full of life and loved doing all kinds of things. I on the other had held back. When he passed I knew he would want me to live my life to the fullest.......so I began to live. I am a country linedancer, so I went upstate NY to a ranch for a week. I went horseback riding, I got into a turkey shoot contest......uhm!!! came in second place. Didn't know I could shoot like that. Archery was fun too. Totally out of my ordinary, but I had a blast.
Sometimes we have to let go of aour heartaches and let our hair down.
You go girl..........Lo
Old 05-08-2007, 05:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Not sure I did this "for fun" --- but it is definitely outside my comfort zone.

Wrote on an index card: If you keep doing what you've always done- You're going to get what you're always gotten."

Just a little reminder for me to alter my thinking.

If I keep thinking in destructive, negative ways- then I will keep feeling negatively about myself and my circumstances.
If I keep reacting and behaving in the same self-defeating ways in response to another's addiction than I will keep being controlled by their addiction.

Going to try this for today and see how it works out.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Oh and as something I'm going to "do for myself" completely outside of a behavior change- I'm thinking about hiring a cleaning lady to clean my apartment.
I can't really afford it but it will make me feel good... this I know...