my new methods

Old 05-05-2007, 09:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

my new methods

WOW, the anti-depressents I am taken have made such a difference. Yeah, all my own problems are still there but the sharp edges and the life or death drama of everything that happens just isn't there anymore. I can see things much more clearly, deal with things in a much calmer manner. Things are not as overwhelming, and best of all, I do not obsess and/or get emotional about things that really do not warrant that kind of time and energy.

As my mother always tells me "these are just problems to be solved."

And in terms of dealing with my abf--I am able to detach. I am much stronger with my boundaries, much less emotional about the practical, less willing to fall into his manipulation traps. I no longer fear what would happen if I don't go along with him, I think to myself "this is me, this is what I will tolerate, and if he doesn't like it, well, he can bugger off." rather than the previous "I will DIE if I don't have this man in my life."

example -- he steals money from me and goes to use. the next day he calls me to ask for a ride back to his place. I think to myself -- this is not something to get emotional about, this is just a practical problem to be sorted out. so I tell him "I'll give you a ride if you give me a check when I get there that I will be cashing as soon as the bank opens on your pay day." Cool, calm, collected. When he whined about that I was like "You're choice, give me the check, I pick you up, otherwise, forget it."

and guess what -- I got my money back.

I refuse to mince words any longer, I refuse to play into the "you make me feel bad about myself." thing.

and you know--he definitely does better with my detaching as well.

I gave the whole enabling thing a long think and I came up with the idea that if you can enable bad behavior then you can just as well enable good behavior, so now, instead of "helping" him do drugs and drink, I help him with the positive things in his life.

Of course, I don't always manage to stick to my new policies (had a disaster that involved me trying to hide his atm card) but I am not going to beat myself up over it. I am only human.

Also, no more waiting on my plans to see if he ever shapes up. I make decisions based on my present needs, rather than what might happen if he miraculously sobers up.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are really doing OK - thanks for the post - glad your meds are helping you keep calm cool and collected - that's great!
Old 05-06-2007, 05:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

glad your meds are helping.you sound good to me.boundries!!!!
Old 05-06-2007, 05:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
grateful rca

glad to hear that you are feeling better. keeping you and yours in my prayers
Old 05-06-2007, 06:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are doing what is the right thing for you. We all have slips. The difference is we realize it is a slip and then we get back to business. I am glad that you are feeling better. Hugs, Marle
Old 05-06-2007, 06:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

I found that once I got the detatchment thing down, it was a whole lot easier for me to deal with the addicts.
It just keeps getting better too.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Let me grow up.

Super! It's great that the medication helps take some of the sting out of your situation and even better that you still realize any problems you may have must still be addressed. I used to Prozac. Didn't work but it did help me lose 15 punds because one of its side effects was loss of appetite. I've since gained back those 15 pounds. . .LOL. . .and I've learned that it's more effective to give my problems over to God. Best anti-depressant I know!
Old 05-06-2007, 11:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had the same reaction to antidepressants. They made everything Not A Crisis, Just Something That Needed Solving. And I could solve it all, without a crisis.

Be careful, oneeyeopen. You may just get to the point where you're wondering why you keep hanging out with a "man" who steals from you. Or a "man" who constantly needs to be bailed out, like a pre-teen kid.

I know I did. I woke up one morning and realized those things weren't in my "ideal boyfriend job description" at all
Old 05-06-2007, 11:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Very inspirational!
I hope I wake up one day and realize I deserve more and that what I've been "dealing with" is something I'm ready to give up and swallow the fear and pain.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
On a tear

My sponsor is a big believer in Love, Prayers and Medication. Some of us get that "superwoman" thing going... allowing in some help is a GOOD thing.

((hugs))
Old 05-06-2007, 06:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HKAngel24 View Post
Very inspirational!
I hope I wake up one day and realize I deserve more and that what I've been "dealing with" is something I'm ready to give up and swallow the fear and pain.
I decided I wanted more than I was getting. You'd just have to decide the same. Not everyone wants to make that decision. There are rewards in staying stuck that can feel (superficially) better than the rewards of strength and self-respect...just like with our addicts and their drugs, the temporary high of feeling safe trumps the hard work of getting free.

And by the way I "woke up" with the help of that terrified decision, hourly prayer, ten appointments with a therapist JUST to talk about surviving this, and one bottle of Paxil (which I never refilled). I had help. Big sis is right...the help is a good thing, and it's there if we're ready to receive it.

Love to all
GiveLove
Old 05-06-2007, 08:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Zoloft did the same for me many years ago-I still take it.Like someone pulled up a shade and I could see and deal better....best of luck to you....
Attached Images
File Type: gif
animated_DNA.gif (16.5 KB, 9 views)