Useful way of passing time

Old 05-04-2007, 02:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Useful way of passing time

Just wanted to tell you about something that has really helped me over the past few years. I mentioned before about how my intuition gets better the more info I feed it and that goes for what I watch, read and hear on a daily basis.

Maybe we can start a book/TV thread to go with the film threads, but for now I wanted to mention what I listen to. I used to be a news junkie and would listen to a news/sports channel whenever I had the radio on. I look back and realise that the news is mainly bad news, along with eternal comment from people who often don't have the first clue what they are talking about and only want to get their verion of the "truth" out there in the guise of fact. That was how I fed my brain until my bro got me an iPod Shuffle and I discovered podcasts and speaker tapes.

In the beginning (when I still went to Al-anon), I went to a site called xa-speakers.org and downloaded all the speakers I could. It is a great way to top up between meetings, or perhaps get some idea of what al-anon ideas are all about before going to meetings. Also, listening to AA speakers helped expand my understanding a little.

Now I mainly search for podcasts from iTunes. There are some great therapy-type shows on there, which I intersperse with comedy, and I have recently discovered that the guys from Empowered Recovery also have put some podcasts on there, although I haven't listened to them yet. Also, the BBC radio website is a great source of plays and interesting radio shows.

I can either put them on my Shuffle to listen to when I am out and about, or I have burned CDs to listen to in the car - although I now have a funky new car stereo where I can plug in my Shuffle and listen to it on there.

Just wanted to tip you off. Be aware of what you are feeding your sub-conscious - an endless diet of "reality" TV and American Idol-type shows (which is all that seems to be on TV lately) seem to encourage snap judgements, non-constructive criticism and acceptance/rejection based on very shallow criteria.

Anyone else found some good stuff to listen to?
Old 05-04-2007, 02:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I read alot, this way I can judge what I am *feeding* myself with mentally. Once my son is in bed, I usually settle down with a book after checking emails etc.

But when it comes to music, I am very selective :p. I listen to classical music mainly and it seems to have a calming effect as well.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh, I forgot to mention music!! Thanks for reminding me, M.

I am kind of a transition phase as far as music goes - I spent so long singing along to tunes without listening to the words. Have you heard some of the claptrap people sing about? Seems like half of the songs on the radio are co-dependent nonsense, going on about "The One" and not being able to live without him/her. Bleugh!
Old 05-04-2007, 02:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

My daily commute is 110 miles, so I spend a lot of time in my car. I used to pass the time listening to the radio, but realized that I could put that time to better use by listening to books on tape. The neighborhood library is literally in my back yard, so each weekend I pick up 2-3 new books and that usually lasts me through the week.

One of my recent favorites was "The Notebook," an inspiring love story written by Nicholas Sparks. I had seen the movie on DVD and I enjoyed it immensely, but the movie doesn't come close to capturing the essence of the book. It made me realize how much I've short changed myself with the choices I've made in my life.

But the good news is that, although I've made some poor choices in the past, I don't have to beat myself up for having made them because opportunities to make healthier choices and a fresh, new start present themselves to me daily.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

it is so true what you are saying---If you put junk in your head--you get junk!!!!
I stopped watching the news and reading the newspapers a long time ago--only on occasion now--it really makes a difference on how how you feel. I would rather read-mediatate-listen to music than fill my head with constant depressing news and images of violence...yes you have to look in once in a while--we do have to live in this world after all...but now I keep it to a minimum.Try it.
Attached Images
File Type: gif
animPenguin.gif (53.1 KB, 22 views)