Update

Old 05-04-2007, 08:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Update

Well.....I found out what is wrong. I have Polycystic Ovarian Disorder and Insulin Resistance. I'm not producing enough hormones for me to ovulate. Insulin Resistance runs hand in hand with POD. I don't quite understand exactly what Insulin Resistance is but I am going to do some research on it to find out.

It explains why I have been having a very very difficult time losing weight though.

I am going to be put on Provera and Metformin, I know Provera is a hormone replacement but I'm not sure what Metformin is besides that it is a diabetes medicine.

My fears were confirmed.....POD can greatly reduce the ability to get pregnant. I will more than likely have to be on fertility medicines when I decide to try.

ohhh....why can't my life just be normal........
Old 05-04-2007, 08:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Or However You Spell It....

Oh Laura I'm so sorry honey. If you can....try to look on the up side. Thank God it's not cancer and modern medicine is so great. Doctors are working miracles everyday with the technology they have. You'll get through this sweetie. Don't give up hope.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have PCOS as well and the Metfornin has really worked well me for weight loss. I highly recommend a book called "The Insulin Resistance Diet". It has changed my life and the way I eat forever.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

I was diagnosed with PCOS 10 years ago, when they knew little about it.

The only thing that made me lose weight was eating no wheat or gluten no processed sugar and very very limited dairy..that in combination with excercise every day..I lost the weight last year that Id held onto for a long time.

Theres lots of progress in treating PCOS now...its tough but manageable!
Old 05-04-2007, 08:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
grateful rca

keeping you in my prayers, i pray that all will eventually work out and that you began to feel better soon.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Get Caught Reading

((((((Jwife))))))

Have faith that this turns out as it should. As Loves said, medical technology is so advanced nowadays, I'm sure they'll be able to help you when the time comes for getting pregnant. Have faith and thank God it wasn't cancer.
Love ya,

Old 05-04-2007, 09:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
let it grow!

take good care of yourself, jwife. blessings, k
Old 05-04-2007, 09:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks all........I'm sooo thankful it wasn't cancer or anything like that. It's just a terrible downer.

I know there a medications out there for me.....actually I start the Provera today. I guess I'm just down about it.....
Old 05-04-2007, 09:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about that Jwife. Sending you some big hugs!
Old 05-04-2007, 11:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Big HUGS ... give the news time to sink in and you'll start to feel better in a day or two.
Take care,
Old 05-04-2007, 11:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Just plainly tired

Jwife, I am sorry to hear that but am glad its not cancer. You are in my prayers.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I take metformin for my type II diabetes. It is the generic name for glucophage. Basically it just stimulates the production of insulin. RAS takes it too and my MIL. I have never experienced any side-effects from it at all. And luckily, it's not too expensive.
Usually, if they start metformin, they will also put you on a liver protection drug like Advandia or Actose, but if you are not technically diabetic, maybe it's not needed.
Also, my gyn told me that I would have a very difficult time getting pregnant...not ovulating, and then I got pregnant the first month I was married.....so you have to realize they are guessing, using statistics and it might not even affect you.
Good luck.
Barb
Old 05-04-2007, 01:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
On a tear

(((Jwife))) Trust your HP... He has you .... right now.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks all of you....thanks secretmom--

I think I am just going to go home and enjoy my weekend.......tiling the bathroom fllor
Old 05-04-2007, 01:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

JWife, It took my husband and I five years of trying before I could get pregnant. I suffered two miscarriages, but was finally able to conceive when I was 32. Don't give up hope. Things have improved greatly since I was in that situation. I will say some prayers that when the time is right, you too will be able to conceive. Hugs, Marle
Old 05-04-2007, 08:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

oh jwife, i am praying for you.miracles happen everyday.keep your faith.hugs, hope
Old 05-04-2007, 09:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Prayers JWife, I'm sorry that you have to deal with this but so thankful that there are medicines and treatments that address it. HP has you sweetie...enjoy the weekend. Hugs and prayers
Old 05-05-2007, 03:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

((((jwife)))))

Lots of great advice before me.
You have my prayers...
Enjoy your weekend, sweetie!! Tiling the bathroom floor sounds kinda fun!

Hugs...
Old 05-05-2007, 03:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
rozied

Hi Jewel, Being a nurse I think I know more than the average person about illnesses.
I saw a show on Discovery about a yr ago on this disease & truthfuly I had never heard of it before. I know the show did say that people that have this have a very hard time losing weight & that they gain weight without eating anymore than any other person.
As far as getting pregnant when you have this I know nothing about that. If you are trying to get pregnant but cannot I will keep you in my prayers. I have seen alot of people who the drs have said could not have kids, get pregnant, so drs don't know everything. There is a greater physician.
Love,
Diane
Old 05-05-2007, 04:28 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

(((Jwife))) I'm sorry about your news. But I'm glad it's not cancer. Do some reading so you can learn about what you have going on. You might even be able to find a support/chat for the disoreder as well. I used to go to the Medi board for stuff about thyroid disorders, so look around you might find something similar as well. Will keep you in my prayers.