Struggling...update

Old 05-04-2007, 05:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Struggling...update

I posted a week ago about my 14 year old stepdaughter - who lives with her mother - being taken to hospital unconcious after drinking vodka. I just wanted to thank you all for supporting me that horrible night while my RH stayed in the hospital with her.
It was touch and go for a while.
We talk to her every day now and she's back in school and coming to us this weekend. She lives quite a distance away which is a pity, but I have to say my husband, despite his own problems has been great with her, and I think it's brought them closer.
There's been no word from the mother who blamed him for it happening - tho she got the drink from her 17 year old (now ex) boyfriend - said it was his alcoholic genes. Mother and daughter are supposed to have sorted out their problems - the main one being the mother's boyfriend who's a heavy drinker and who the daughter doesn't like.
I hope and pray this is a one-off - she's had a bad shock and is very contrite. My husband wants her to get some help but the mother is avoiding arranging it.

Anyway, thank you all for you kind words. it's been a hard week all round and I hope we have a good weekend with her and she feels she can talk to us. I've known her since she was six and love her to pieces.
Sophia x
Old 05-04-2007, 01:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

sophia, enjoy your weekend with her! i'm glad she's doing better.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Let Go Let God

shes very lucky to have you and your rh .. enjoy your time with her and make sure she knows (Im sure she already does) that you are always there for her

Peace .
Old 05-04-2007, 01:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks a mil. She's going to a disco tonight - her mum let her so hope she's careful She comes to us tomorrow.
Any ideas on what to do with a bored 14 year old????
Sophia x
Old 05-04-2007, 01:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Let Go Let God

shop !!! and of course if that doesnt work ... SHOP!!
then throw in some food . and more than talking , do a lot of listening and questioning .. when you question them it makes them feel you are interested in them and in what they are saying (and shows you are paying attention) . see a movie together , or rent a movie and watch at home (do u have blockbuster in Ireland ?) . get manicures together .. there are lots of things , suggest some and ask her what she wants to do to ! Never a dull moment with a young teenager !
Old 05-04-2007, 02:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have no idea where in Ireland you live but if she's into horses...

I admire you for standing strong for this girl, she deserves better than a Mother who is in denial of what's happening. My ex partner also has a 14 yro son who lives with his mother in the UK. Early last year he came over here to visit his father whom he hadn't seen in 4 years. Ex parked the child with me and went off drinking. One week of HELL as the boy pretty much acted up and I had to be the peacemaker all the time between them.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
On a tear

Good Lord - blaming him for his genes? Gah!

Ask her why she didn't command her genes to be more dominant!

sorry.... don't do that - it won't help. Just know you are in my thoughts and your step-gal is in my prayers. ((hugs))