Notices

Itching like mad tonight

Old 05-04-2007, 03:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Itching like mad tonight

I've never had withdrawal symptoms when I have quit before except for insomnia, which I fully expected.... I was getting to the point that even alcohol wasn't solving THAT anymore.
But as I lay in bed, starting to drift off a few hours ago, I started itching BIG-TIME, and everywhere! (I have had my annual shower, I swear. )

Is this a withdrawal symptom that anyone is familiar with? It is settling down quite a bit now, but I have taken another Melatonin (herbal sleep med) and an Ibuprofin for my arthritis, too... so I may be tired enough to sleep soon. Bloody well better - it's almost 4:00 am here - so much for catching my Nooner meeting.... I won't be fit to drive, too exhausted.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I dont know about drinking...But when I used after a few days after. I would itch like crazy on tender aresa of my legs and arms. And it would like move around. For example ..If it started on my lower leg...it would like move up then over to my other leg. Kinda like I was chasing the itch around my body.
Dont know why.
Dont know if that is the same. But now that I have almost 2 mos...It has long since been gone.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Lurker

I itched too. It would drive me crazy (not a very long trip). I still do from time to time. I guess the alcohol works on the nervous system. So when it is gone that system kinda goes nuts. Good luck. There are better days ahaid.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The itching is typically caused by the body releasing the toxins that your system has built up.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've had some itching around my lips and nose. I have been battling insomnia and the itching sensation always occurrs just when I feel I'm going to fall asleep.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Itching is a well known withdrawal symptom and is a question on the Addiction Research Foundation Clinical Institute Withdrawal Assessment.
exzmple here
http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/alco...al_scale.shtml
Old 05-04-2007, 10:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks gang - I did indeed manage sleep not too long after my post. Good to know I was in something which "can" be expected...
Old 05-04-2007, 05:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yup, I had it for about 4 months. Drove me nuts. Funny thing was, it wouldn't bother me during the day, but would only start when I went to bed. I changed sheets, wore pajamas, wore no pajamas, nothing worked. It would only last about 5 minutes though.

Look at the bright side, all you have to deal with now is insomnia and fatigue !!

(It gets better)
Old 05-04-2007, 05:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TenPacks View Post
(I have had my annual shower, I swear. )

I did get really dry skin and kinda itchy as well. I think it normal.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GlassPrisoner View Post
Yup, I had it for about 4 months. Drove me nuts.
Look at the bright side, all you have to deal with now is insomnia and fatigue !!

(It gets better)
Four MONTHS? Ackkk!

Five minutes I could deal with, this was a few hours...
Old 03-02-2009, 08:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My addiction itch

I'm just over three months in recovery and I have what I like to call an "addiction itch." It's on my lower right leg, and it seems that whenever I get nervous or anxious, or right before I go to bed, it itches. It's been there for at least a year now, and I do remember it itching like hell when I was drinking and using. It's good to hear that it may be a way my body is releasing toxins. Also, it's good to hear that another member's itch went away after four months - that would be cool. It itches for a few minutes at a time, and I have to scratch it. About 30 days in, when it started getting really bad, I decided I'd try to turn the itch over to God, but I just ended up losing a lot of sleep and when I itched it after a couple of days, it began to feel better. I guess that's another example of where my thinking gets me.

Nice to have found this forum and good luck to everybody!
Old 03-03-2009, 11:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

when i get stressed out i itch like crazy... thats just my experience tho :\
Old 03-03-2009, 12:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I have heard (obviously I'm no doctor) that liver issues can cause itching too, fatty liver, liver disease, even thyroid problems. I'd just keep an eye on it and see how you feel, and if you're concerned see a doc!
Old 03-03-2009, 12:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flutter View Post
I have heard (obviously I'm no doctor) that liver issues can cause itching too, fatty liver, liver disease, even thyroid problems. I'd just keep an eye on it and see how you feel, and if you're concerned see a doc!

oh cr@p.... thats probably true for me. that, or my cat scratching my arms open... or both :|