Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Movie Night Report - The Pursuit of Happiness and Aligning Our Actions With Our Goals

Movie Night Report - The Pursuit of Happiness and Aligning Our Actions With Our Goals

Old 05-03-2007, 07:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

I didn't post this earlier because so many folks seemed to be in crisis this week--I didn't want to appear as if I were making light of anyone's problems. Now that things are quiet for the moment, I thought I'd chime in with last week's movie report.

My daughter and I watched "Pursuit of Happiness" staring Will and Jaden Smith. First off, Jaden, Will's son, is absolutely adorable, plus he did a fine job for such a young man. Guess we'll be seeing plenty more of him over the years as he matures. Secondly, I thought the movie, which was based on a true story, was very inspirational. It serves as a reminder that, if we want something badly enough and we align our actions with our goals, nothing is beyond our reach.

I think the main message of the movie is we have to ALIGN OUR ACTIONS WITH OUR GOALS IN ORDER TO ACHIEVE THEM. Seems like such a simple theory, but somehow we often either manage to lose sight of our goals or forget to align our actions with our goals.

For the last few months, I've been paying close attention to my actions and I've been making sure that they align with my wants, needs, and goals, and I've been seeing fabulous results in my own pursuit of happiness. Perhaps that's why this movie spoke to me when I watched the trailers on TV.

My daughter and I watched it from the comfort of our living room sofa, curled up under blankets, wearing our favorite pajamas, and eating plates of chinese carry out (chicken fried rice, broccoli in garlic sauce, and egg rolls). Netflix are an extra treat when you live out in the boonies like I do and the closest video rental place is 30 miles away.

Tonight it's movie night again. So, I've just brewed a fresh pot of coffee, my daughter has home-made sugar cookies in the oven, and we're just getting ready to settle in to watch Disney's "Happy Feet."

So, I've chosen two movies about happiness. If you want to be happy, you've got to focus on happiness. I want to have happy feet, a happy evening spent with my daughter, and a happy heart.

Here's to many more movie nights to come.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i loved that movie, too! it really spoke to me and showed me that we can be anything we want to be - but it requires work and lots of heart. it sounds like you're having a wonderful time with your daughter, FD, and it appears as if even more happiness will find you!
Old 05-03-2007, 07:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So Glad you are back---you should never stop posting!!!!! I need you to set me straight LOL....
I agree-good movie--and I just watched happy feet and it is sooo cute. Usually I do not watch this type of movie--I like serious thinker type movies! But it does make you happy to watch happy movies!!!
It made me smile to think of you and your daughter curled up eating chinese in your jammies....My AS and I used to have movie night 2 nights a week---come to think of it I was happier watching kids movies!LOLI do miss those days.

I find the moviePay it Forward to be one everyone should watch--to freely give and recieve
and the color purple to learn about forgiveness and redemption.

I hope you have a good time tonight you deserve it!!!
Attached Images
File Type: gif
cat5.gif (27.8 KB, 63 views)
Old 05-03-2007, 07:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I like movies that are a little off the track - have you seen Happy Accidents?
Old 05-03-2007, 08:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

no denny what is it about? I even like the foriegn films with subtitles LOL--being disabled I watch a lot of movies and read a lot. I watched "help'the old Beatles movie the other day and laughed til I cried---something to be said about putting positive stuff in your head!!!
Old 05-03-2007, 08:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You have to be willing to suspend belief on this one:

Ruby Weaver (Marisa Tomei) is tired of being the "enabler" in relationships and has decided to give up the role of doormat. She's also on the verge of giving up on love. But a sweet, small-town guy, Sam Deed (Vincent D'Onofrio), changes her mind, and it seems Ruby's finally found a sane boyfriend. Or has she? Soon, Sam's divulging that he's a time traveler from the year 2470 … and Ruby must decide whether love conquers all.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
full of hope

AAAHHHH movie night!!! It seems like a long time ago we were planning that.

I think we should make it a habitual thing!!
Dinner and a movie...yep, it could become my new habit!
Old 05-04-2007, 04:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
ICU

FD, shame on me, but I totally bombed out on movie night. I put it off until the end of the week, then other things came up. I guess the lesson learned is to not 'put off the pursuit of happiness' (pardon the pun) LOL! (I too want to see that movie).

But, to be honest, I did do something VERY VERY special. Last Thursday night, I actually, literally, spoke to Kenny Loggins during a private phone chat. I taped it too! It was wonderful to speak with him again. THAT was the highlight of my day, week, month, year.....'HE' is definitely in line with my actions and goals, LOL!!!

Chero, I forgot to follow up with you on the piano lesson you had planned. Did you do it?
Old 05-04-2007, 04:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
full of hope

You SPOKE to Kenny Loggins! That is soooo COOL!!

Well, I've had two piano lessons...and I can officially play an entire song! I love it!! It's so fun!
Old 05-04-2007, 04:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
ICU

Yup, I certainly did!!!

Great to hear about your piano lessons Chero. I'm so happy for you, in your own 'pursuit of happiness'.

I'm having fun with the movie you saw FD....what a great inspirational reminder! But then again, your words of wisdom 'always' inspire me.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

FormerDoormat, keep making memories with your daughter. Priceless.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Royalty

I literally just got back from the video place....and we have movie night every week. We watched Pursuit of Happyness last week. I thought it was 'just ok' ...not bad, but I noticed it made my anxiety level rise. Then it just ended...I hate when movies do that. I would have liked to watch him at his job that he worked so hard to get, and watch him become successful. The credits say the guy was a millionaire later on....after he became a stock broker.

Our favorite movie so far, was the Guardian/ Kevin Costner and Ashton K. It reminded me alot of Top Gun, but in the water. My daughter watched it more than once, before we had to return it.

Tonight's selections are the Divinci Code and The devil wears Prada.......
Old 05-04-2007, 04:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
full of hope

OH HQ! Those are both good! The Devil wears Prada is good...funny and clean it seems.
The Davinci Code...well, I read the book first and the book was way better. The movie left a lot of stuff out.

Have fun!

I've recruited friends and we are taking a crew to the movies tomorrow! I don't have a clue what's playing but oh well....
Old 05-04-2007, 04:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Royalty

Spiderman 3 is out....I think my kids and AH are going to see that tomorrow. It's not something that I would watch....so it looks like I have 2-3 hours to myself tomorrow! woohoo!
Old 05-04-2007, 04:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
full of hope

YEAH YOU!!!

I want to Premonition...anybody seen it???
Old 05-04-2007, 06:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well, it looks like great minds think alike. I watched "Premonition" at the theater with my daughter about two weeks ago. Overall, I thought it was a good movie, but not great. The premonition was a recurring premonition, with each additional premonition revealing a bit more information than the last one. Sort of like a serious "Ground Hog Day," if you remember that movie, but definitely not as suspenseful as The Sixth Sense.

I saw "The Devil Wears Prada" and "The Davinci Code" last week. The same two selections Chero just made--what a major coincidence. I really liked the part Merill Streep played and thought Anne Hathaway did a fine job as well. The best part of "Prada" was seeing all the beautiful clothes. After watching that movie, it dawned on me that with all the changes I'm making in my life these days, it's time for a wardrobe change as well. Can't afford designers like Prada, but I'm quite adept at ripping out a designer ad from a magazine that features a fabulous outfit, then going to affordable retail stores and finding similar items to pull together the same look.

"The Davinci Code" was good. It followed the book very closely. Although if you didn't read the book first, it might be hard to follow at times.

I'm going to trust your judgement, Denny (I always do), and add "Happy Accident" to my Netflix list. I'll let you know when it arrives.

You've probably noticed by my recent references to "Pay it Forward" in my posts that I loved that movie, too, Sunflower. Another of my absolute favorites is "Shawshenk Redemption." Any movie featuring smooth-talking Morgan Freemon ranks high on my list.

Just received two more Netflix in the mail tonight: "Raising Helen" with Kate Hudson and "Monster-in-Law" with Jade Fonda, a perennial favorite of mine.

Gotta get caught up on the other threads, then it's movie night again this evening. Look what you've gone and done, ICU, you've created a movie monster.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

ok I am gonna take your advise on a few of these.
I thought the DiVinci Code book was better than the movie as well.
here are some good watches I have just seen
The Queen
The Prestige
The Illusionists
The Golden Flower
The Departed
all came out recently and are very good
Attached Images
File Type: gif
AdamDancing.gif (10.9 KB, 44 views)
Old 05-04-2007, 06:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I saw "The Queen" recently, too. Helen Miran did a fabulous job of portraying The Queen, down to the most minute detail. I liked the movie, but my daughter wasn't overly impressed. Of course, I was totally smitten with all things Lady Diana and Prince Charles back in the day and followed their story closely at the time, and she's too young to remember any of it.

I even remember where I was and what I was doing when I heard the news that Lady Di had died. My boyfriend, daughter, and I were vacationing in Rehobath Beach. I was standing in the kitchen cooking breakfast and Richard and my daughter were sitting out on the back deck sipping coffee and enjoying the morning sun. Funny how you remember things like that when a significant event in history occurs.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:42 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
full of hope

Oh, the Illusionist...I was wanting to see that!
Old 05-04-2007, 06:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Ohhh, I LOVED the Pursuit of Happyness!!!! I literarally cried the whole movie! Crying at movies is one of my favorite things to do!

And yes, FD, the Shawshank Redemption is my favorite movie of all time.

At the theater recently.....Fracture was good. I watched 300 last night on the IMAX. Wow. It was reeeeeeally bloody and gory, way too much so actually, but the movie was so well done that I could get over the bloody stuff. I found myself blocking my eyes a few times, but seriously, the intensity of the emotions in the movie is amazing. The passion is unbelievable. And let me just tell you....the bodies on those men will have you drooling, and I'm not one to lust after men's bodies!