Notices

Help Im looking For

Old 05-02-2007, 07:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help Im looking For

Im trying to reach out to anyone that can help me get on track! Yes I know I have to be the one but just strugling to do so. I try and try to stop drinking but I always run to the bar. I just get down and sad and there I go to the bar!! I go a week or even a month without drinking then I get down on myself and sad and there I go.
My dad just recently passed on me and I miss him he was my friend just not dad! As much as I know he hated me drinking I'm still doing it! Why I just don't know?

I ask anyone to respond to me and help me with friendship get threw this battle of a depression and alcholism I"m fighting. I have hit my rock bottom I lost my wife my daughter my dad I just want to stop this running and face it !
Old 05-02-2007, 08:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

We're glad you're here, griffy. Welcome aboard. My condolences about your loss.

Have you tried going to meetings? They can help take your mind off of things. If you've been drinking for a while, things sort of get to be second nature, like driving to the liquor store or the bar without even realizing it. Go to meetings. Get a Big Book (and read it), take up some new or old hobbies.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome on board sorry you are having such a bad time, you are taking the first move by admitting that you have a problem. I'm sure people will be along soon to point you in the right direction and as I said the desire to stop is a good start.
Attached Images
File Type: gif
27.gif (8.2 KB, 39 views)
Old 05-02-2007, 08:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Griffy,

Welcome to SR...You are not alone with your feelings...Just know that sobriety is not hopeless. We are here for you...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...1&d=1178118886
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
white cat.jpg (2.1 KB, 38 views)
Old 05-02-2007, 08:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
let it grow!

welcome, griffy. i'm sorry about the loss of your father. i lost my dad a few years back, so i understand how difficult it is. keep posting, k
Old 05-02-2007, 08:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Griffy,

Welcome to SR - I'm so glad that you found us.
I'm very sorry about your father.
I couldn't stop drinking (and stay stopped) without the help of AA and the people here.
I sincerely hope you stay with us.

Rowan
Old 05-02-2007, 11:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Welcome Griffy, sorry to hear about your father, but welcome to SR.

Here is perhaps a different way to look at your situation. You said you have hit "rock bottom" as you have lost you wife and kid. I can identify with that situation, as I am in the same place. Now you father has passed and you want to drown those sad feelings in alcohol, so you don't have to deal with them. Perhaps this is your opportunity to "man up" (no sexism intended, just a term!!) and face these feelings instead of running from them. It is tough, and as many have mentioned, hard to do on your own. AA may help. Even if you don't necessarily agree with everything AA has to say, at least you can hang out with a room full of sober people, who really care about your problems, instead of a room full of drunks who don't really care about anything except getting drunk.

I can't imagine losing my father, though he is getting older and will eventually pass. I has to be incredibly painful. The problem with drinking over it is that the pain will still be there until you deal with it. It's hard, I'm only just learning how do really deal with and understand my feelings myself. I've got 19 years of repressed feelings spilling out of me right now, and it's not easy. But I'm not going to dig my hole any deeper than it already is.

Look at this tragady as an opportunity to honor your father by making a real attempt to work on your sobriety. I, of course, don't know your father, but I'm sure he'd want the best for you. I hope some of this helps. There are lots of great people here who will do whatever they can do to help you. But as you said in the first line of your post, you have to be the one to do the work. Take care.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Griffy there is a solution, I found that solution and so much more in the rooms of AA, like you I could not stop drinking, in the end after 40 years of drinking I was at the point where I had to drink everyday, the only way I could get sober was detox, after 5 days of detox the fog started to lift and they told me if I wanted long term sobriety my best chance was to go to at least 90 AA meetings in 90 days and get a sponsor.

I did that and here it is over 7 months later and not only have I been sober the whole time, but thanks to the people in AA and AA's program I am happy, joyous and free.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi, griffy. I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. Recovery and all of the emotions that come along with it can be overwhelming. Just talking (or typing!) about your problems, fears, cravings, etc. can really help. I would recommend AA meetings. Continue posting here, too! Very best wishes.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Griffy...you've taken the first step by admitting you have a problem (are powerless) over alcohol, and your life has become unmanageable.

I drank for 32 years, and tried to stop many, many times. I knew how to stop...just didn't know how to stay stopped...AA taught me how 27 years ago. I know...it's hard even for me to comprehend, and I've lived it.

I cannot recommend AA meetings and the program of recovery enough...please give it a try, Griffy...and, we'll be here for the added support.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to the SR family Griffy -

TinLIzzy
Old 05-02-2007, 03:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Hope3

Welcome griffy, you are not alone anymore, you have found

a great support network. May I ask, have you tried anything to stop drinking

like program or been seen by a doctor?

Hope3