Old 05-02-2007, 02:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - May 2

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Our Higher Power

For the next twenty-four hours ...

In recovery, we live life one day at a time, an idea requiring an enormous amount of faith. We refuse to look back - unless healing from the past is part of today's work. We look ahead only to make plans. We focus on this day's activity, living it to the best of our ability. If we do that long enough, we'll have enough connected days of healing living to make something valuable of our life.

...I pray for knowledge of Your will for me only...

We surrender to God's will. We stop trying to control, and we settle for a life that is manageable. We trust our Higher Power's will for us - that it's good, generous, and with direction.

We're learning, through trial and error, to separate our will from God's will. We're learning that God's will is not offensive. We've learned that sometimes there's a difference between what others want us to do and God's will. We're also learning that God did not intend for us to be codependent, to be martyrs, to control or care take. We're learning to trust ourselves.

. . . and the power to carry that through.

Some of recovery is accepting powerlessness. An important part of recovery is claiming the power to take care of ourselves.

Sometimes, we need to do things that are frightening or painful. Sometimes, we need to step out, step back, or step forward. We need to call on the help of a Power greater than ourselves to do that.

We will never be called upon to do anything that we won't be empowered to do.

Today, I can call upon an energizing Power Source to help me. That Power is God. I will ask for what I need.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Sometimes, we need to do things that are frightening or painful. Sometimes, we need to step out, step back, or step forward. We need to call on the help of a Power greater than ourselves to do that.
When I began recovery I was frozen in fear. I heard the words, I even believed them and I think I even knew what I had to do. But I was frozen in fear and just couldn't do it. And that scared me.

Through prayer, I asked God to remove my fear and had what was my first "spiritual awakening" when I could feel my fear being lifted like a huge weight immediately after saying that prayer. I can't explain the feeling, the "knowing" but I have never doubted since.

I have had moments of fear since, but each time I feel the fear creeping in I say another prayer and again ask God for help. That gets me through my days and breaks the bondage of fear.

Hugs
Old 05-02-2007, 08:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for this ANn. It took me years of practice but I finally acept my powerlessness.