Kicked out of suboxone program...HELP!!!!!

Old 05-01-2007, 05:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Kicked out of suboxone program...HELP!!!!!

I am trying SO hard to not be so negative about this, but I AM FREAKING OUT HERE!

My husband has been doing great on suboxone for the past 2-3 yrs. His dr. actually had him talk to a newbie to her program b/c he's her "star patient." He has always done his drug tests w/o incident, occassionally has had to chng an appt b/c of work, but has always done like he's supposed to. Last month the nurse told him it was time for another drug test and gave him the info on where to go, etc. as always. Honestly, b/c of work he had not been able to go before his appt last week, so he called and rescheduled his dr appt to this week which gave him time to get the test done. He went in there today and was told that HE IS DROPPED FROM THE PROGRAM!!! The nurse failed to mention that the test needed to be done within 24 hrs but they see it as "he used and didn't do the test." Couldn't be FURTHER from the truth!

So now, after almost 3 yrs of taking it every day, he has to stop it cold turkey. I am a basket case right now! I know I should be supportive of him and build him up and tell him he can do it, but I am so scared of our world falling apart. When he used Lortab/hydrocodone before he stole money from work to support his habit, got arrested and a felony conviction for it. Right now since his record was clean b4, he only pd restitution and it is non-adjudicated where if he stays clean 5 yrs it's taken off his record like it never happened. He's so close to the end of that with only 2 yrs left.........

I guess I'm wrong for automatically assuming he's going to screw up. But this medicine has taken away his craving for opiates for so long now that I'm afraid of what will happen. He has an addictive personality anyway. Our lives have been SO much better with the suboxone.

Anyone out there have any experience with this at all? Advice? I really appreciate it
Old 05-01-2007, 06:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

I don't have any experience with what you're going through, but I am sorry you have to feel so afraid. When you mention "this medicine has taken away his craving for opiates for so long now that I'm afraid of what will happen"
Remember, you can't control him or the addiction.
Instead of getting upset with something that hasn't happened, try calming meditation and relaxing your mind.
I hope you're feeling better real soon.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My AH was on sub for a while - I am pretty sure you can't just go cold turkey. Is there another program he could join? If not, and he is facing going it CT, I think you are probably going to have to get him to the hospital for some professional medical intervention.

Hugs to you and good wishes for a quick resolution.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you are going through this. I have never heard of anything quite like this. Doctors usually taper a patient off sub, and I have never heard of any making them just jump to nothing. Doctors do have to be certified or something to prescribe sub, but there are quite a few, at least in my state. Perhaps your husband can make some calls. I agree with Lookingin2you that medical assistance would be desirable. I also agree with WW that you can not control this and it really is his deal to take care of while you focus on you. Hugs
Old 05-01-2007, 08:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am new here and not sure if it is possible to edit a post...since I couldn't figure out if it was possible I just wanted to add that when I said "you" I did not mean to imply that it was somehow your job to "fix" any of this. I just mean to say that the situation may come down to needing medical intervention just so you will be prepared for that possibility. I saw my AH taper off of sub and it was excruciating (for both of us!!). I can't imagine someone going CT.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
grateful rca

sorry you are going through all of this, just want to offer support and a few prayers, i don't have any experience with that drug, so i'll just pray for you and yours
Old 05-02-2007, 04:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i pray your husband will b ok. is there another dr. he can go to? is he going to meetings? i am sorry for all of this.take this one day at a time.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
rozied

I also do not have any experience with suboxone, in fact I am an RN & I have never heard of it ( not implying anything I sure as heck don't know everything )
I do know if a drug should be tapered noone should be coldturkeyed off it.
Wishing you & your AH the very best.
Diane
Old 05-02-2007, 09:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am on suboxone, don't panic, have him go to another doc and refill script! Any questions, e-mail me at [email protected], I know subox backwards and forwards. Detox guy!