Notices

14 days today!

Old 04-30-2007, 09:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question 14 days today!

Hello, just wanted to check in here as I enjoy the feedback and see this site as another connection to my sobriety along with meetings. I'm still dealing with alot of struggles(mostly financial) but am learning to deal with it without drinking. For most of my adult life I've attached my finances to my self esteem in an extreme way. I find it difficult to change old thought patterns. Has anyone else had to problem that would like to share it as sometimes I still feel alone with this issue. Thanks...
Old 04-30-2007, 09:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
let it grow!

hey confused, i can't offer you any much direct experience. i struggle too with changing old behaviors, it's a real challenge in my own recovery.

i do want to say congratulations on 14 days! that is a big accomplishment.

blessings, k
Old 04-30-2007, 09:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
believer

Yes. It's hard, you have to change so much and some habits connected to wrong things are still there. I think now that you have 14 days, things might start to get out of your system. I hope they get out of mine soon.Being sober is by itself an act of self love.But what you do with it to keep yourself that way is very important.Like people told me here, letting go of destructive behavior of any sort is crucial. There are very hard days, but "this too shall pass". I am trying so hard right now and i Know what you mean. I feel happy that i am sober but the struggle for self love is overwhelming. But that too shall pass. It is a step by step work, before every step there is a tough trip, but when you get there it will be ok.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Denver, well done on your 14 days! That's awesome.

Umm I'm going through some financial changes myself right now and it's made me somewhat insecure - for me, I tell my HP every day that I trust in him and have faith that he will make sure I am able to survive. I keep doing the footwork i.e. showing up for work, working on staying within a budget etc -
The longer you are sober, the more your financial security will be less of a concern - at least, that's been the case for me. I hope this helps.
I'm glad you're here.

Rowan
Old 04-30-2007, 12:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that staying on our soul's path and moving forward will always take us to the right place. But, I agree, that 'letting go' is very hard to do.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

CinD, that is great, way to go. Stand up and be proud the early days are the hardest days to attain.

Levi
Old 05-01-2007, 08:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You are doing great congratulations and welcome from me.

indigo
Old 05-01-2007, 08:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Way to go on two weeks confused!

I was a high-functioning alcoholic, and like you my self-esteem was based on my financial security.

These days I'm assured by a faith that I'll always have what I need as long as I stay sober, my higher power provides me with the tools in recovery to succeed no matter what life throws my way. I also found out in my first two years of sobriety that I've got a fair amount of extra cash now that I'm not throwing it away on alcohol. Funny how that works, huh?
Old 05-01-2007, 08:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by karimpatim View Post
Yes. It's hard, you have to change so much and some habits connected to wrong things are still there. I think now that you have 14 days, things might start to get out of your system. I hope they get out of mine soon.Being sober is by itself an act of self love.But what you do with it to keep yourself that way is very important.Like people told me here, letting go of destructive behavior of any sort is crucial. There are very hard days, but "this too shall pass". I am trying so hard right now and i Know what you mean. I feel happy that i am sober but the struggle for self love is overwhelming. But that too shall pass. It is a step by step work, before every step there is a tough trip, but when you get there it will be ok.

Thankyou for that post karim, you just nailed something for me. Congrats on the 14 days confused!
Old 05-01-2007, 08:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Rock-chalk-jayhawk..

welcome! and congrats on the 14 days!
Old 05-01-2007, 09:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Confused congrats on the 14 days, I am sure you know that it was not easy it was earned, hold your head high, keep going to those meetings.

Have you got a sponsor yet?

Change is a bear!!!! I was 52 when I sobered up. I am an old dog with some very old tricks I had to unlearn.

I knew I had to change, because if I did not change I was going to drink again, and if I drink again I am going to die!

Nothing changes, if nothing changes!