Drug Testing Your Addict.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Drug Testing Your Addict.

I was watching the news this morning and they aired a website where you can go to purchase drug testing kits for your teen. My question is why they focus on drug use by our teens. Dont they realize that the biggest scare is with the parents of these teens? I have watched program after program based on drug use of our teens. Yes its a major concern but what about exposing the fact that we have teachers, lawyers, school bus drivers, business execs, nurses, doctors, etc, out there that are addicts too?

Well anyway the website is http://www.testyourteen.com/. There was alot of useful information in this website and I thought to share it with you all.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Just plainly tired

Gwen, the other day I was at riteaid picking up a prescription and notice a whole section devoted to take home drug test.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey, they sell these kits at Walmart too, my question is, what do you do stand there and watch them go? I know my AH would just use water or something else to fake it!!!!
Old 04-30-2007, 07:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I believe you have to watch them go as some test are sensitive to body temperature. They will also come as inconclusive if used with water or something. The neat thing is that you are able to use these test as a surprise. Just watch the addict when they know they are cuaght. I know in this forum it is hands off the addict, but being an addict I found this kinda effective. The purchaser has the elemnt of surprise. There is no time to cover up or get fake urine, etc. Also it is a down fall for the purchaser due to not trusting thier addict and cause many more problems. But for me in my house, if I dont agree to this testing then it looks bad for me. For me I have no problem doing these testings simply because I know I did alot of damage by my drug use and it takes time to regain that trust. And when there is kids involved as there is in my home, I think its justified. Funny thing is my bf has never surprised me with these test and really hasnt displayed any intrest in my recovery. He just assumes I am clean. I guess he has moved on past my drug use and by my actions he feels I am clean. Its a good thing but I guess I still feel I need to prove myself. I look forward to when the probation officer wants to hair test me or just a UA simply because its me proving to everyone that I am clean and I have learned.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I so agree with Gwenmarie.....my RAH told me from the horses mouth that drug testing him was the number 1 deterent that worked for him. There are consequences to his drug use and the tests allow me to implement those consequences. Of course, the consequences have to matter to the addict.

The element of surprise was key - as was observation of getting the sample. We agreed that it was just as humiliating for me to be in a situation where I was watching someone that I love pee and might use drugs as it was for him to have me watch him pee. The agreement was that neither of us could do it with an attitude.

There are a lot of sites on the web where you can order multi panel tests. We use a 5 panel test - 25 for about $125.00. I learned how to randomize by a professional tester and put that into place. We test randomly and on suspecion. Granted, once that first year has passed, it's a lot less often. The relapse counselor that RAH goes to said that he needed to be tested randomly for at least 20 years. Sounds fair to me.

Yea Gwen! Thanks for sharing!!!!! Donna
Old 04-30-2007, 08:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I think drug testing everyone in the workplace is good. My husband (who neither drinks nor uses any substance) works on large construction projects and he has seen a huge difference in safety practices on sites where testing is done compared to sites where it is not.

I think there are many places where mandatory testing is good...workplace, vehicular accidents, underage children perhaps...it has a useful purpose sometimes.

That said, I think it is degrading to both the tester and tested when home drug tests are done. It proves nothing. If it comes out clean, it doesn't mean it will still be clean an hour later. And I have seen and heard of too many ways to "beat the system" to trust any test's accuracy. My instinct has always let me know better than any test ever could. I would not do a test on anyone in my home. If I was that unsure weather they were using or not, they would have to leave my home anyway. I don't want to be a "Drug Cop" anymore.

Hugs
Old 04-30-2007, 08:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Very good point Ann. My bf has never surprise tested me simply because he says my actions and behavior speak for my sobriety.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Starry Girl

I think maybe that story ran about the teens because it is easier to deter a teen from trying drugs or who has used drugs just a few times than it is to clean someone up 10 years later when they have become a full blown addict. Parents with teens still have legal control over their kids and can do what they feel is best if a test comes up positive. I wish there was a bigger push to educate children about drugs and not just "drugs are bad, don't do them."

As far as drug testing in the home, I have done it but I will say it is far more upsetting to me than not knowing. I recently was so convinced my AH was using and bought a forty dollar test and it was completely negative and he was totally clean. But the point is I was SO overly anxious and even after I found myself following him around and checking his eyes even though I KNEW he was clean. I let myself be ruled by my anxiety and drug testing just feeds into that.

Maybe it would be different if someone had a plan of action and boundaries and were absolutely prepared to stand by them, but for me seeing a positive test would only tick me off. I wouldn't be ready to kick him out, though I might threaten to, I wouldn't be willing to divorce him, the only consequences he would have would be to listen to me freak out at him which wouldn't really affect him anyway if he were high.

All in all, drug tests get expensive, they get to be a pain in the butt, and in my life they cause more problems than they solve.