Is this manipulation?

Old 04-29-2007, 07:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
full of hope

Is this manipulation?

Well, ever since I told AH that I am taking time for myself and he can do whatever he likes (as if he needed persmission!?) he has been my new best friend. My shadow. I can't even brush my teeth alone.

I hate to complain about this, really! But I've gone from abuse and neglect to being smothered.

Do you think this is manipulation? Is that what he is doing?
Old 04-29-2007, 07:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
harleygirl92156

I would guess fear.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
full of hope

Maybe I'm being a baby about the whole thing?? I'm feeling very confused right now....
Old 04-29-2007, 07:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
My Cape Is at The Cleaners

I smell fear.
When there is a chance that you are thinking and working on yourself, the fear of you seeing things differently is there.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nope, I think it's fear. Whenever a woman tells a man to do whatever he wants, I think a man interprets that to mean she has another love interest.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
full of hope

Yep, I heard that one this weekend. As if I have time in my life to deal with another man!

I don't know...I'm just so sick and tired of...I don't even know what!?
Old 04-29-2007, 07:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

to my suprise

I got very angry and I didn't know why. When I gave up, my ex got clingy.
I had waited so long for him to act married and treat me like his esteemed wife.
Why now?
He knew I meant it. I realized that he was capable of being nice , attentive and loving all along, it just wasn't necessary.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

mine would overcompensate like this when he knew i was at my limit with him. worked for him everytime, cause i was such a sucker for it.

fear? yup....probably. fear of having his world shaken up. his routine dissrupted. his plan of action changed. his prediction of your behaviors all messed up. got to smooth things over so his life can continue as before. jmho.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i hear ya mallow.....wasn't it sickening???? and, yes, it made me angry also.

disgusted me to my core.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I get that, too - 'are you seeing someone else?' Like when do I have the time for that while I'm taking care of a 3 year old?

It's just another way they get attention and an ego boost (which my AH needs all the time) and manipulate you into giving it to them. IMHO, of course. That's the case with my AH anyways. It's the whole self-absorbed thing. It's all about HIM. I can't say anything or do anything without it being turned around as to how it affects him. Man.

Er, yeah - I sympathize with you!
Old 04-29-2007, 08:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Fear and also, I believe, the need for you to acknowledge him. My AH would follow me from room to room, walk out in the driveway and stare at me as I drove away, cling to me in a way that reminded me of a child who had lost its mommy in the grocery store. So I say, yes, it is fear. It is also realizing that you are NOT putting him front row and center. That is a type of fear, but I don't consider it fear of loss like non-addicts feel. It is more fear of losing attention and total focus on him.

You dare to have a life? Nope. Not in the addict's eyes. You are there to serve him and take whatever he dishes out. So now you are getting the I'm-scared-you-will-leave-me act.

Please be VERY aware of his actions. Once this type of fear/panic sets in for the addict, they sometimes will escalate to violence. He sounds calm right now, but he's cooking up in his mind that there may be another man. He could start to become more abusive the more you move away from him.

Please be cautious and watch what he does.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A work in progress....

Originally Posted by prodigal View Post
Please be VERY aware of his actions. Once this type of fear/panic sets in for the addict, they sometimes will escalate to violence. He sounds calm right now, but he's cooking up in his mind that there may be another man. He could start to become more abusive the more you move away from him
I agree with prodigal 100% on this. My (ex)AH was doing the same sort of thing you're talking about. Following me all over the house and just looking at me like a puppy that had been kicked or something. I can't even explain the look on his face, it was so needy and pitiful.

After the hammer dropped and he got served with divorce papers, for awhile he cycled in and out of remorse, denial, etc. Now that over 2 months have passed, he is beginning to get the picture that his old tricks don't work anymore, and that I really am gone. He is getting increasingly irrational and intimidating. I have a restraining order, but he has ignored it repeatedly to the point of having to go to court next week on I don't know how many counts of contempt. My 19 year old football player son will be home from college on Wednesday, and I will feel much better then. In the meantime, I am keeping a can of mace real handy.

Be very careful; don't take any chances and remember that he doesn't think like you do. I learned that the hard way.

((((HUGS)))))
Old 04-30-2007, 04:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Part of the ride on the rollercoaster, could be a number of things, but I wouldn't be surprised if and when he goes back to doing what he was doing, he won't come back and say "I started again because no matter what I do, I can't make you happy, so I figured why not go back to what I was doing" They have every excuse in the book to blame and reason out their behavior.

Just my thought when I read your post,
Old 04-30-2007, 05:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
full of hope

That is so true, Dolly....and what he doesn't blame me for I blame myself!
Old 04-30-2007, 05:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Fear of losing control of you and losing his meal ticket. Definite;ly manipulation.

Earthworm
Old 04-30-2007, 05:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Absolutely.

After all, how can you focus on yourself if he is like your shadow? Saying you need space is terrifying to an active problem drinker (or anyone else who needs you to stay the same) because they know that the things you discover in that time will mean that things will change. And not for the better as far as they are concerned.

Ugh. I remember that phase all too well.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

*Sniff* *Sniff* oh yup it is that fear kicking in for sure! Mine did this everytime I was with friends, family, counselor, Al-Anon because I would regain my issue and behavior patterns and start keeping with my boundaries! Then BAM he started in fear of losing the roof over his head his comfort zone....you know disrupt his life! The get a glimpse and start the start all the good stuff to suck you back in...then when they reel you in they start all over again! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew not a ride I want to take anymore!

(((Hugs to you)))
Old 04-30-2007, 09:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yep, he's scared.

You mentioned that he isn't abusing you now, but I would say that what he is doing now is also abusive. He is not allowing you your personal space and the right to live your lown life. This is a control tactive that many abusers use in emotionally abusive relationships. He fears losing control of you and has switched modes, but in my opinion it is still abusive. If it doesn't feel good and healthy, it probably isn't.

I would agree with others, please be careful, he may become irrational when he realizes that this tactic isn't working.

-K
Old 04-30-2007, 09:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Well I can tell you right now it is manipulation and the reason is fear, not fear of losing you though, fear of losing his drinking safety net.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
ICU

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
Well I can tell you right now it is manipulation and the reason is fear, not fear of losing you though, fear of losing his drinking safety net.
O-U-C-H!!!!! Truth sometimes hurts!!

It's funny, I used to tell my ex all that time that I would never be his 'emotional' safety net with respect to other woman....it never occurred to me that it also could apply to his drinking.

My ex had a lot of...'ahem'....'safety nets'!!