Notices

Can alcohol withdrawal cause SEVERE brain fog?

Old 04-29-2007, 12:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
61'st day sober as of:12/18/07

Thumbs down Can alcohol withdrawal cause SEVERE brain fog?

Hi people

Off and on during periods of abstinence lasting between 3-7 days, I've experienced the following symptoms...

* SEVERE and unrelenting brain fog (almost unbearable).
* Dazed/spacey/scrambled feeling in my head
* Derealization/depersonalization/anxiety

Are these normal symptoms associated with alcohol withdrawal?. I do have a bottle of Naltrexone and also Campral and I'm thinking about getting back on one of them but I would really like to know if these are symptoms sound familiar.

- N4C
Old 04-29-2007, 12:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm not sure exactly what "brain fog" means... could you please explain? The last two symptoms sound normal. I would talk to a doctor before you start taking anything. You may want to consult a doctor anyway, given the dangers of detoxing yourself. Take it easy and drink lots of water.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by livefree View Post
I'm not sure exactly what "brain fog" means... could you please explain? The last two symptoms sound normal. I would talk to a doctor before you start taking anything. You may want to consult a doctor anyway, given the dangers of detoxing yourself. Take it easy and drink lots of water.
Brain fog feels like your brain was injected with Novocain. You just feel mentally hazy, your thinking is unclear and you feel "********" or "numb". Not sure how else to describe it.

- N4C
Old 04-29-2007, 01:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Detoxing from alcohol can be very dangerous.

Please talk to your dr.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hope3

Yep.................I once stared at a simple sentence for 5

minutes until it finaly sunk in.

I was throwing the keys in the garbage, and starting to

start the car with the garbage...It will pass, best thing I did for

it was laugh............hope3
Old 04-29-2007, 01:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

My last detox was like that too...I seriously thought I'd had a stroke or something. Don't be a dunderhead like me - go to the Docs.

D
Old 04-29-2007, 01:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I just posted about this in another forum...I thought it was completley wierd how I was feeling, the strange fog feeling is how I've been feeling all day and had not idea what it was about, still don't be it helps knowing that its not something else.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yup... have you sat at a stop sign wondering why it was taking so long???

I slept a whole lot my first month or so
Old 04-29-2007, 01:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes, it's normal........what was the question ?

About 30 days in, I was putting the milk away in the pantry. 6 months in, I still have brain farts, and my short term memory is pretty bad.

It passes.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi,

Yes, my brain seemed like I was miswired...There were so many emotions hitting me and I didn't know how to deal with all of them. As crazy as that was, I learned to become grateful that I could actually FEEL again...
Old 04-29-2007, 03:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I just got back here and was amazed at all the responses. Thank you all!. Well, I thought I should clarify that while I have brain farts, memory lapses, weird emotions, daydreaming and being in a trance-like state, etc, what I mean by "brain fog" is the feeling you get like your brain was just injected with some sort of anesthetic. It is the same fuzzy, dizzy, dazed and disconnected feeling you might get if you crossed your eyes for a few seconds while staring at a blank wall. At times it can get kind of scary because you know it's not "normal". Sometimes I can be like this for days and it can hit me at any time and last for any length of time.

A few times I have consumed large amounts of alcohol and could detect what I can only describe as a crunching/crackling sound or sensation in my head (like the sound you might hear if someone was bunching up a piece of paper or something or even worse, like bugs were munching on my brain). What was that all about??.

- N4C
Old 04-29-2007, 03:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
tangled up in blue

Originally Posted by Need4Change View Post
I just got back here and was amazed at all the responses. Thank you all!. Well, I thought I should clarify that while I have brain farts, memory lapses, weird emotions, daydreaming and being in a trance-like state, etc, what I mean by "brain fog" is the feeling you get like your brain was just injected with some sort of anesthetic. It is the same fuzzy, dizzy, dazed and disconnected feeling you might get if you crossed your eyes for a few seconds while staring at a blank wall. At times it can get kind of scary because you know it's not "normal". Sometimes I can be like this for days and it can hit me at any time and last for any length of time.

- N4C

I've experienced this feeling lately as well. It's scary because you know it's not normal. I haven't thought to go to the doctor, but I think some posters more experienced in getting through this stage have recommended to do so. I'm thinking about making an appointment later this week. It never hurts to get checked out, anyway.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Ah yes, feels like ones brain is nothing but mush or mashed potatoes. I still remember the feeling. Lasted on and off for almost the first 6 months, but each episode got shorter and the episodes got further apart as some of my brain wiring started healing.

However, if I were you, I would definitely get my Dr's opinion to make sure it wasn't something else.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 04-29-2007, 07:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Need4Change View Post
I just got back here and was amazed at all the responses. Thank you all!. Well, I thought I should clarify that while I have brain farts, memory lapses, weird emotions, daydreaming and being in a trance-like state, etc, what I mean by "brain fog" is the feeling you get like your brain was just injected with some sort of anesthetic. It is the same fuzzy, dizzy, dazed and disconnected feeling you might get if you crossed your eyes for a few seconds while staring at a blank wall. At times it can get kind of scary because you know it's not "normal". Sometimes I can be like this for days and it can hit me at any time and last for any length of time
yep, there's no doubt N4C - that's a pretty good summing up of what happened to me in my last detox....get it checked out.

A few times I have consumed large amounts of alcohol and could detect what I can only describe as a crunching/crackling sound or sensation in my head (like the sound you might hear if someone was bunching up a piece of paper or something or even worse, like bugs were munching on my brain). What was that all about??.

- N4C
er..dunno bout that one. Sorry.
D
Old 04-29-2007, 07:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Resentment Building

As others have mentioned - get yourself to the Dr.

I too experienced the brain fog you are talking about when I gave up drinking. First time around it was pretty bad - Got 5 months up, then busted (damn). Second time around, I checked into re-hab cause I needed the distance etc. - I cam down from alcohol in 3 days - they gave me Valium to detox the first two days - The fog wasn't so bad. I also stopped taking my anti-depressants - becuase I was getting drinking induced panic attacks - It was much easier second time around - but I was in a safe, controlled environment.

I have heard that the vagueness diminished over time. So look after yourself - take it easy - And no matter what - don't pick up that first one. !

Good luck
Old 10-05-2012, 12:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Brain Fog

I know exactly what brain fog is.

Aside from feeling scattered and spacy, it feels like a fog has settled in front of your eyes-not being able to see with clarity.

I've also changed my diet to primal, quitting grains and sugar. I'm wondering if that change is not also causing brain fog.

The really nice thing about quitting grains and sugar is the lack of cravings for alcohol.

(Even though I did have a beer last night, I really want to stop completely!)
Old 10-05-2012, 01:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Need - those were definitely some of the withdrawal symptoms I experienced. They went away for me a couple weeks in. I've got 46 days sober right now and the brain fog is pretty much gone.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Something you might want to watch out for is seizures. I personally never detoxed off alcohol, but I tried to cold turkey myself off of Xanax and Colenazapam and took a seizure which resulted in a moderate concussion from my head falling through the computer desk .I had a lot of the same symptoms you have. Especially the Derealization, depersonalization and anxiety. Only reason I am bringing Benzo's into the conversation is because I know the two withdrawls are very similar. I wish you the best of luck!
Old 10-05-2012, 01:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I had brain fog for 2 months, it was awful at first, but when that fog lifted...............I felt reborn. Hang in there and wait, the rewards are beautiful.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome NoWringWraith

My experience was the fog gets better the more time we're sober. Good to have you here.

I remember the OP and I hope he's doing ok now - but he's no longer around.
This is a 5 year old thread guys

D