Notices

Recovery....

Old 04-28-2007, 09:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Recovery....

.....this is something I wrote when I had about two years sober, it was mostly intended for other women in recovery, but I think it applies to everyone here.....

.... You know me, I am your Sister, your Niece, your Cousin, your Aunt, your Daughter, an in-law, possibly your wife. My name isn't important, what is important is that we share a common bond. We are spiritually connected by our addiction, just as we are spiritually connected by our recovery. If you don't quite understand that, one day, it will all make perfect sense.
..... I guess what I am trying to say, is that when you are feeling down or confused, when the outside world just isn't making any sense, or it seems like everyone is out to get you.....I understand.
..... When the overwhelming urge to use hits, and you think the only way out is to get so high or drunk that you forget everyone that has hurt you...or you have hurt.....I understand.
..... When you see some of your family members and friends getting a "buzz", and it seems like they are having a good time.....when you start to think "maybe I don't have a problem, maybe I can have just a few" .....then you get that sick feeling deep in your gut, because you know you are just fooling yourself, and if you take just one drink/hit, all is lost....I understand.
..... When you are having a really good day, and eveything is going right...but you feel like it could be a little better if you had a few.....I understand.
..... I understand all this, because I feel it too. Oh, not all of the time, but it will creep up, when I least expect it. I have found, that when I am surround by people who are like me (in recovery) it is easy to pull someone aside, or pick up the phone and tell them how I feel....because when I do, and they say "I understand" I know that they really do!!!
..... I know that no one person's story is better or worse than mine. I know that I am no better or worse than anyone else....and there are people willing to help me in recovery........just for the sake of helping another person in recovery achieve a better life. WOW....sometimes, when I think about that, it really blows my mind!
..... Let me assure you of this.....I DO understand and I DO care, I am here if you need me, all you have to do is ask. Someday, you will be telling a newcomer these things. Until that day comes...I am here for you....and remember, as long as there are people in recovery...we are NEVER alone.

Cathy

Last edited by Surlyredhead; 04-28-2007 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thank you that is so inspiring.

indigo
Old 04-28-2007, 09:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Rock-chalk-jayhawk..

wow that was great. thank you for that..jason
Old 04-28-2007, 09:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hope3

Thank you so much surleyred, hugs to you.

Hope3
Old 04-28-2007, 01:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Cathy,

Thank you so much for posting that here - so important to know that we are all in this together.

Rowan
Old 04-28-2007, 02:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Cathy,

Thank you for sharing your words of wisdom...Today hasn't been one of my best days but I am sober and so I am grateful for that.

Reading your story was uplifting. Thanks again...

So glad you are here.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
believer

Thanks. That's why i come here. People in recovery just get it.

God bless you Surly
Karim
Old 04-28-2007, 03:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
tangled up in blue

Thanks so much for posting this. I truly understood these words. It's comforting to know that other people feel the same way as you do.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Surley......

Right on!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love,

Sherry