Notices

Today is the day I stop drinking

Old 04-26-2007, 02:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today is the day I stop drinking

Im writing this on here because i dont really know much else to do and would welcome any suggestions

Today once again im going to give up drinking. Dont get me wrong Im not an everyday drinker but when I do drink I turn into a monster. Both my parents drink as did my grandparents and it does seem lately that im drinking more ( due to waiting for a new job to start) I have a lovely everyday life two perfect dogs and my home is wonderful so i dont know why i feel the need for a beer or a bottle of wine so often.

over the years Iv upset many people by drinking, messed up many areas of my life and lost countless friends, I literally cant handle my drink and get insecure, nasty and all the bad traits you can think of.Iv lost my 2 front teeth by having a drunk piggy back (thankfully i have some now )

I see myself in my mom who has chosen drink over a life and for years even as i child i would despair when she had her first half of lager because i knew that day she was lost for the day. Now Im that person.

I met a lovely man on the net a few months back and im driving him away, last night we split after i had a bottle of wine, summoned him to get his things and pushed him out of my life. Over minor insecurities dealt with badly in drink.
It seems that my fate is tied. Because even as I plan stopping this destructive behaviour I cant see anything changing.

I would love to be that person that never touches a drop, i dont need it for confidence , communication, or interaction with people as i am a natural people person and do better without it.

I dont know what to do, well I do but dont know if I can do it
Old 04-26-2007, 02:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sure you can... and Welcome to SR!!!!

Step One - That is all you have to do today.... that and stay sober... only for today.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Paddy4

I am a newie (this time around and didn't get very far last time around). There are lots more experienced people here who can share their experience strength and hope.

If you want to stop drinking, this is a great place to start.

Welcome aboard. More SRs will be along soon. It's a quiet time on the board for a bit longer yet.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
tangled up in blue

Good for you. I understand what you mean when you say that when you drink you become a monster. I do too. And the next day I reap my consequences. I think it's amazing that you can see yourself as you really are when you drink; I think many times people try to convince themselves that they are a funny, outgoing, awesome person while drinking when in reality it generally brings out negative characteristics rather than positive ones. I think it's so easy to allow alcohol to make us think that we're these superhuman/fantastic creatures when we drink. What harsh reality it is to tell ourselves that, in actuality, our ugliest sides come out and rear their ugly heads!

If you ever need anything, come to these boards. They have helped me immensely. I'm happy you've decided that today is your day. Good luck. You deserve a sober life.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, paddy. keep posting, k
Old 04-26-2007, 06:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Paddy,

this is a great place with lots of help and advice...with the help of people here, I've gone from being a 15 year binge drinking alcoholic to not having a drop for three weeks...if I can do it, I think anyone can !

welcome !

D
Old 04-26-2007, 06:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Paddy,

Welcome to SR - I'm so glad that you found us. As you can see, a lot of us can identify with what you're going through. Please keep posting.

Rowan

Last edited by Rowan; 02-05-2008 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Paddy,
Good for you for choosing to take care of yourself and control of your life. It sounds like you have a really good perspective about your drinking and why you want/need to stop. This forum is really, really supportive. Good luck today. Keep posting!
Old 04-26-2007, 07:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello Paddy,

Welcome to SR. You have come to the right place.

Keep posting, we are glad you are here.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks guys I have spent a lot of the day in this and the other forum and my determination has not wavered yet.
I dont normally drink a lot and maybe act up every other time i drink but its getting more frequent. Iv booked to meet the chair of an aa meeting prior to the meeting on monday. The couple of people I have told think I dont need to go ... but I know that I do.
I thank you all so much for accepting me into the fold so nicely
Sally
Old 04-26-2007, 01:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hope3

Welcome paddy, I think it's great you want to

change your life for the better.

Recovery is a life long process, looks like you are on the

right track in reaching out, good luck, best wishes, hope3
Old 04-26-2007, 01:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Sally,

I'm glad you're going to a meeting - I got sober through AA, too.
I had lots of people in my life who insisted I didn't need to go, or to stop drinking for that matter, but I did and now they are behind me 100% after seeing the change that has come about.
I'm glad you're here!
Old 04-26-2007, 02:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

hi, sally......welcome to sr.....

i'm sorry for your relationship troubles.......i have pushed many people i cared about in my life...i think it's because i felt like i did not deserve them.......and i didn't understand how they could care about me.........

welcome to day one...this is the hardest part, admitting you have a problem and taking steps to quit.....many people remain in denial for a really long time...it's a very brave thing you have done....it takes a lot of courage to admit you have a problem...

good luck
ayla