Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

TOPIC: They Had The Audacity To Ask How Much I Drank ! What's Ur Story?

Notices

TOPIC: They Had The Audacity To Ask How Much I Drank ! What's Ur Story?

Old 04-25-2007, 05:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question TOPIC: They Had The Audacity To Ask How Much I Drank ! What's Ur Story?

Hi Im Sharon and Im An Alcoholic.

By the Grace of my HP and people
like you here in SR I havent had a drink
of alcohol since 8-11-90.

For that and you I am truely grateful.

From "Listening to the Wind"

"One day I got up as usual. The last
thing I remember was feeling so shaky
I could hardly stand up. I ate a
tablespoon of honey, hoping it would
give me the necessary sugar rush. The
next conscious memory was the emergency
room. They said I was suffering from
malnutrition. I was nearly thirty pounds
underweight. They had the audacity to ask
how much I drank! What could that possibly
have to do with anything?"

My story goes like this.....Feb 1990

I go out to a club, dancing, drinking etc.
on my way home i run off the road hitting
a concrete culvert sitting on top the
ground. EMS takes me to hospital for
10 days saving my life from a punctured
spleen, and numerous broken ribs, bones,
contusions...etc....

Go to court several yrs later to sue
construction site as cause for my
accident.

Was it that reason or was it due to
me possibly blackening out....or
was it because the blood alcohol
was well over its limit?

Some say poor construction....

I say otherwise....truthfully.

Aug.1990.

I go out to the same club....come
home after partying....horrible arguement.
tried to end my life with pills....

Family intervention took place sending
me to rehab via the back seat of a police
car....

28 day rehab stay...

Im not an Alcoholic....or was I?

Yes I am, I can truthfully say.

Whats ur story?

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Midas

For me, I was drinking a 6 pack a day. When I went to be evaluated for treatment, I even lied on the questionnaires. "I can't tell them how much!" I was lying to myself and believing every bit of it. They knew that I wasn't telling the truth. I could barely even fill out the stupid forms. I was a mess.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was drinking around 12-18 beers a day...over the years I guess I just built up tolerance. Then I needed something more...thats when I hit the pills. It was all down hill from there.

I slowed down, when I saw how hard I was going to hit the rocks at the bottom of that hill. Call it Divine Intervention, etc. But I went and asked for help. As hard as it is, moment by moment, I am on the road to recovery.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was in a lot of pain because of a back injury. No need to ask the doc for pain pills when good old reliable alcohol was around. I got the cheap supermarket vodka in the large jug, and just had one, though that one was in one helluva mug, and I wasn't shy about refreshing it. Somehow over half the bottle managed to fit in that one glass. I was wondering who was sneaking in the house and stealing my liquor.

My family was out of my life, and I hardly had any friends. But one I did have said "Why don't you go to an AA meeting, it might be fun." So I went to see the freaks, went home for a drink and felt smug. But a few weeks later I was laying on the floor one day and felt ready to be taken out with the garbage. I thought "Maybe I should go to AA." Then I thought, "Naaaa, that place is completely bizarre." Then I thought "Wait a minute, I'll do it!"

Good thing I have a taste for the bizarre.

That was October '82. Haven't had a drink since.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

I was drinking over a fifth of 100 proof vodka a day, that included a pint to get me straight in the morning.....I was sick for over a week when I quit...I mean SICK...didn't feel "right" for a month!!! I thank GOD that is over...and I pray every day I never feel that way again!!!!
Old 04-25-2007, 08:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm with Surly redhead. A fifth or more of whiskey a day, almost every single day, did me in. On a light day I might have 15 drinks.

I was sick as hell for a week as well and truthfully thought I was going to die. I managed to then put in 10 months sober, then relapsed with some "controlled" drinking, but soon was right back up to a fifth a day.

I am now coming up on 2 months sober. By the grace of God I will never drink again.

I told my family - most of whom live far away - that I was going to AA. My brother could not beleive it, he told me I was not an alcoholic. I told him how much I drank, the withdrawal horrow stories including sweats, shakes, vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, etc. He immediately changed his tune and became very supportive.

My family that lives close by was a totally different story however, they knew I had a problem, but even then had no idea what volume or what kind of withdrawal hell I went through.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

aasharon,
Thanks for sharing and congrats on maintaining your sobriety.
I think right now I still need time to reflect on my whole story, as I'm gaining more insight into the extent of my insanity while drinking with every passing day of sobriety.
As for how much I drank... about a liter and a half of cheap vodka each day. It's disgusting, but more importantly, it's dangerous. Drinking that much at 90 lbs, I'm grateful to be alive.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I think most alcoholics would agree it's not how much we drank, it's what the drink did to our mentality and insanity.

When my ex would ask me how much I'd had to drink (How dare she do that. Some nerve, huh?) I'd answer "2". And my lying, deceiving, manipulating mind would have no problem justifying the "2" twelve-packs I'd put away that day.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi dg

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
I'm with Surly redhead. A fifth or more of whiskey a day, almost every single day, did me in. On a light day I might have 15 drinks.

I was sick as hell for a week as well and truthfully thought I was going to die. I managed to then put in 10 months sober, then relapsed with some "controlled" drinking, but soon was right back up to a fifth a day.

I am now coming up on 2 months sober. By the grace of God I will never drink again.

I told my family - most of whom live far away - that I was going to AA. My brother could not beleive it, he told me I was not an alcoholic. I told him how much I drank, the withdrawal horrow stories including sweats, shakes, vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, etc. He immediately changed his tune and became very supportive.

My family that lives close by was a totally different story however, they knew I had a problem, but even then had no idea what volume or what kind of withdrawal hell I went through.
Just wondering did you manage to detox by yourself?? Or was your detox supervised ??
Congrats on 2 months..I can't manage 12 hours.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Joi

I'm with Surly redhead too! Vodka to get straight and all day to maintain until I passed out that night. "Aint life grand!"
Old 04-26-2007, 09:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Well how much I drank varied over the years, by the time I was 22 or 23 I was drinking 6-7 cases a week, then I quit for a year and a half, started back up again and could easily drink a case a day by the time I was 50, at about 51 my body decided I had drank long enough and enough to confuse it, at that point I could drink all I wanted to and never get a buzz one day and then the next day only drink 6-8 and start slurring my speech and my eyes would glaze.

How much did I drink? Way to much!
Old 04-26-2007, 09:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was newly separated from my husband - suddenly the house was empty at night when my girls' were with him for a visit. I drank a lot - alone - those nights. I remember climbing the stairs and looking at their empty bed and empty crib and the pain just about killed me. But then, once I did have them at home with me, I couldn't wait for them to go to bed so that I could break out the bottle. Figured I was doing good enough, so long as I was sober while they were awake. The next day always found me hungover/depressed in bed - my girls didn't have much of a mother during those dark times.
Thank God I found the rooms of AA, and people like all of you.

Shipo, you there? How are you doing today? You don't have to do this alone.

Rowan
Old 04-26-2007, 10:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

G'day Rowan

Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
I was newly separated from my husband - suddenly the house was empty at night when my girls' were with him for a visit. I drank a lot - alone - those nights. I remember climbing the stairs and looking at their empty bed and empty crib and the pain just about killed me. But then, once I did have them at home with me, I couldn't wait for them to go to bed so that I could break out the bottle. Figured I was doing good enough, so long as I was sober while they were awake. The next day always found me hungover/depressed in bed - my girls didn't have much of a mother during those dark times.
Thank God I found the rooms of AA, and people like all of you.

Shipo, you there? How are you doing today? You don't have to do this alone.

Rowan
Yes I'm still here and in my usual state of inebriation...Just after 3am now.
I have a long way to go.
Hopefully I will have some positive thoughts to add to the forum in time.
Congrats in your sobriety
Cheers Paul
Old 04-26-2007, 10:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Please keep posting, Paul. Don't worry about making a 'positive' contribution - just by reaching out and sharing what you're going through helps others.
Glad you're here.

Rowan
Old 04-26-2007, 11:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank You

Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
Please keep posting, Paul. Don't worry about making a 'positive' contribution - just by reaching out and sharing what you're going through helps others.
Glad you're here.

Rowan
Thanks Rowan..If what I have planned goes ahead I'm going to need all the help I can get. I've already as a newbie gained a lot of sage advise and information from this forum.
Cheers Paul