Notices

new to this

Old 04-25-2007, 02:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
what goes around comes around

Question new to this

hi my name is vana and i am a 20 year old addict. recently i had a very close call, i was using and took a sleeping pill and nearly died . thanks to my best friend she called my mom and hence i am here today. i used last week and i have finally woken up and said to myself i dont want to do this anymore. it felt like a fog was lifted from my eyes and now i can see the world. i plan on going to a long term treatment center in whitby as i am from niagara but i am still new to this and would appreciate any support i can get from anyone. thanks soo much,vana.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
tangled up in blue

Hi, Vana. I'm so glad you found this forum. I'm so happy that your close call wasn't fatal.

When are you planning on going to the treatment center? Good luck with that!

I understand the feeling of a fog being lifted from your eyes. That's how I felt when I decided to stop drinking/using, which was only recently. After this initial feeling, it can be really hard. You are stripped down to who you are without all of the excesses you're used to but with a positive attitude, help from others, and support, you can get through it. I really wish you the best and hope that you keep posting. <3
Old 04-25-2007, 02:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

welcome vana...I am so glad to hear that you are getting the help you are looking for.

I am a recovering addict I almost have 1 yr and I am grateful for my new outlook on life.

good luck and keep posting,

~B
Old 04-25-2007, 02:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

findingnirvana,
I'm happy to hear that you are OK and that you've chosen life over addiction. You are not alone and you've come to the right place for support. As someone about your age, I know how confusing it can be to give up substances when it seems like everyone else drinks and does drugs. Remember, though, that you are only giving up substances; when you use, you are giving up your life and your freedom. I suggest you keep an open mind as you enter treatment. You've made the right choice. Believe in yourself and in the happiness that lies before you in sobriety. My thoughts are with you.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Vana,

I'm so glad you found this site - you will find a lot of support, wisdom, and encouragement here. I am also in Ontario - about an hour from Whitby. Are you on a waiting list for the treatment centre, and will this be your first time going to one?
That was a close call you had - too close - hang in there and believe in yourself - being clean and sober has given me my life back.
Please keep posting and let us be there for you.

Rowan

Last edited by Rowan; 02-05-2008 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Midas

Welcome aboard, Vana. We're glad you're here.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Smile thank you

thanks to all of you for the support. as for treatment i am faxing them my information and then will be put on a waiting list for a bed. i have no clue how long that will take. i am finding it really hard right now to deal with anything i feel like i want to do everything,but i know that if i take on too much im bound to fail.it seems like i am alone in this when i know im not,its just i have lost everything to my addiction, i had a job and some friends not the good kind tho. i suppose sitting at home everyday is not helping . thanks for all the positivity , it seems that i am not too positive with myself right now, all i want is to go into treatment and get better. i tried detox in october but i was around friends who used so you can imagine
i am just trying to find peace with myself but its not working. does anyone have any tips on how just to slow my mind down? should i meditate or go to church?
any tips would be awsome
Old 04-26-2007, 05:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Vana,

Welcome! I'm a Canadian also.

I'm glad you're seeking the help that you need and I know that you can get through this. I think you will find that recovering from addiction means making a lot of changes in your life, including your friends. But, you can do this.

As for slowing down my mind, music always works for me and lots of walking.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Vana,

I hope you can get into that treatment centre soon. Is there any way to get a counsellor to act on your behalf, to fast track you? If you ask around and talk to the right people, you might be able to get around the lengthy waiting period. Just a thought.
Boredom can be a huge trigger for me - you mentioned sitting around - why not put on some headphones and go for a walk, instead? Be willing to try different things, and see what you come up with. It's so hard to slow our minds down when we have racing thoughts, isn't it? Aargh we can be our own worst enemy.
I'm glad you reached out and let us know what was going on. Please keep posting.
You can do this, Vana.

Rowan
Old 04-27-2007, 08:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Vana,

Welcome to this great place called Sober Recovery...Here you will find helpful information and meet lots of great folks.

keep posting....
Old 04-27-2007, 11:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Smile

Thanks for all the advice it really helps knowing i am not alone. i am working with NADAS to get me into treatment sooner and i am trying to take things slow. its been a big wake up call for me ,particulary this morning when i got up too fast and ran upstairs and my heart was hurting very bad. i dont know how much damaged i caused but i hope its not extensive. soo far i am just writing everything out and i plan on going to the Y next week after i get the ok from my doc. its just frustrating having to change everything and having all these emotions come back but i am trying to deal with it. i do have a counseller ,but its more of i am finally being honest with myself and saying if i continue down that road i am going to die.
right now i just plan on going to meetings and taking everything slowly which i am not very good at:P but im trying. and i will keep posting on here i enjoy everything u have too offer and i hope to benifit greatly from your help
Old 04-27-2007, 11:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You seem to have a good sense of what you need to do in order to get well, and you also recognize that emotions come back when we stop using and drinking - we can recognize and deal with them when they occur.
You've got a very positive attitude, and I admire you for that.
Hopefully the doc gives you the all clear to hit the Y - that would be something to look forward to for sure.
Keep us posted.

Rowan
Old 04-27-2007, 11:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
let it grow!

it's nice to meet you, vana. please know - recovery is possible. blessings, k