How heavy is your backpack?

Old 04-24-2007, 07:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How heavy is your backpack?

I was walking along a trail in the woods and came upon a stone & picked it up & put it in my pack. I walked a little further and saw another stone and thought I will take this one too, and put it in my pack. Soon I had picked up so many stones and put them in my backpack to carry, I was being weighed down & could no longer walk.
We have to remember not to take on so many things that don't belong to us that we are weighed down. We have to remember it is ok to walk past things and not pick them up.

This was said at my last naranon meeting & thought I'd pass it on.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

That's a great thought, Helpus. I used to be a great collector of resentments but my back got weary of carrying them all. Today I travel luggage free, it's the only way to fly
Old 04-24-2007, 07:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

I am learning the only thing I need put on my back each day is my own cross but for some reason I don't find it as heavy any more. Seems like someone must be helping me carry it.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have decided that my backpack is very small and can only carry a few small pebbles at one time. Even then it can get heavy, so I remember the saying '' God will only give you what you can carry or take on at any given time". However I sometimes have wondered where he got the idea that I can do so much or worry. But I have learned that I can only worry about one thing at a time. Otherwise I have a meltdown and dont want that any more.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Helpus! I know of a woman who attended an inpatient program for codependency (back in the day when such things existed in Florida and insurance companies would cover it) One of the exercises was that they had to walk around with a sack filled with rocks. The rocks symbolized resentments and worries and "baggage" they carried and they could lighten the load by taking out a rock and sharing the burden in group. This woman was a strong codie...She carried her rocks for days after the others had let their rocks go, for she felt these were her crosses to carry. But finallly she felt tired and weak and iscolated. She finally reached her bottom and was able to let the rocks go.

Your post made me think of this story today...thank you for sharing this here.