Husband's Son

Old 04-23-2007, 10:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Husband's Son

Just looking for anyone and everyone's thoughts ... my husband has a son who lives kinda far from us. Within the last year year and a half he is pretty much secluded himself. Doesn't talk to any family members or friends. Calls are all left not returned. He did tell his brother he felt he had an alcohol problem and was keeping to himself to get himself under control. That was a year and a half ago. We went there over the weekend to no avail, he never came home from his job and has not called or or acknowledged that we were there. We did call leave two messages and a note on his door. Mind you he lives 6 hours from us.... I just think it is possible that there is some type of mental illness going on and was looking for other thoughts and maybe suggestions... Thanks!!!! I also posted this on the mental Health forum.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
let it grow!

it sounds like you've done all you can at this point - by offering help in calls and a note. you don't fear he's missing in action, do you? it sounds like he's showing up at work, etc?
Old 04-23-2007, 11:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, we have heard he has been at work. Maybe you are right and there is nothing more we can do. Can't help someone who doesn't want your help right? It is just kinda heartbreaking. He's so young (30) to live like this.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i think that he'll come around when he wants to... either when he needs something from you or when he's not embarrassed or ashamed of himself (like if he really has been sober). waiting and not knowing what's going on must be difficult for you and your husband, but i don't think there's a whole lot you can do right now.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

just because he works does not mean he isnt an A or has mental problems--does your husband know where he works? Maybe he could call there and ask his boss-just saying you haven't heard from him in a while and you are checking if he is ok?