Letter from my brother

Old 04-23-2007, 09:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Letter from my brother

I read Tazman's post and this just brought tears to my eyes-I wanted to share with everyone my brothers letter that he wrote and gave to all of us...

Dear Alcohol,

There was a time in my life when I thought of you as a very good friend, I know better now. You were always there when I needed you, comforting when I was sad, soothing when I was angry, and lifting me higher when I was celebrating, satisfying when I was hot, sweating, and tired after work. We certainly enjoyed our sports together and you seemed to be in every other commercial on T.V. when I watched the games. Those were good times.

Remember when I was young and I first met you? How you gave me the courage to approach and talk with girls? I didn’t think I could do it without you. You sure gave me the confidence I couldn’t find within in myself, or so I thought. You became on of the gang and all my friends really liked you when you first came into our lives. As the years passed some of them got along just fine with you, but they didn’t become as close to you as I did. I really thought that I could trust you and that you would never let me down. I remember when Roy died and they whispered that you might have been involved. I heard them but dismissed it. He was still so young. It had to be something else. You joined me when I married and attended all the good and bad times in my marriage. The birth of our children, the loss of loved ones, the parties, the picnics and the vacations. You would always show up ready to help.

Remember about 10 years ago when I realized we could hang out together at all hours of the day and night, whenever I felt like it. I even started to lie about you to keep you around. I would hide you so they didn’t know you were there. I didn’t want to depend on you like that. I felt a lot of guilt and shame over you. It’s just that you made me feel better and eased my pain.

When did it all start to go bad? I pretty much know but I thought I could handle it. You weren’t betraying me, were you? I wanted to still hang onto you and have my life go smoothly. You wouldn’t allow that though, would you? I tried to let you know that our friendship was not the same anymore and it might be best if we went our separate ways, but that sure wasn’t easy for me. I actually let you keep hanging around long enough to see me lose all the things that were precious to me, my wife, my children, my house and my job. I had worked very hard in my life and it was gone in a blink of an eye. I searched for answers and thought you could help me find them. You didn’t but it helped to have you there. You were even kind enough to be there when I drove my car, telling me I could handle it. Don’t worry. How much more time could I have spent with you before you took the last precious thing I have, my life. I don’t want to find out I want to live. I see you now for who you really are and I don’t want to hang out anymore. Oh, I know you’ll always be there waiting over my shoulder like a shadow on a sunny day, but If I keep putting one foot in front of the other and don’t listen to the whispers, I’ll be alright. It’s time to say goodbye and go our separate ways. I will always remember you and wish you nothing but the worst.

Amazing to see the A's point of view -as the reach recovery.....
Old 04-23-2007, 09:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Excellent, I can totally relate, I look at alcohol as a lover who turned into a fatal attraction, but I see every thing he is talking about, man did she watch over me all those years until she had control over me, then it became a death struggle that I darn near lost.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recovering Nicely

This is one of the best letters I have read in a long time. My other favorite is the mistress one. It is such a shame that all A's couldn't read this, relate and want sobriety. So much for the disease of alcoholism.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

wow, rella, thanks for posting this. it's so sad (and sometimes hard for me to keep in mind) that they really do view alcohol as their best friend and as something they trust to carry them through both happy and sad times.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Yes InThisForMe but it is when they realize that they are doing this as Taz and others that they do not need it is what I commend them for-and only then!