book suggestions anyone?

Old 04-21-2007, 09:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

book suggestions anyone?

the last nonfiction book i read (and could barely put down) was sylvia brown's "insights"... and it kept me busy and helped me keep the focus on myself

what's the most recent non-fiction book you read that you were able to find some solace with or unwind to??
Old 04-21-2007, 09:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm reading In Cold Blood...not exactly a book filled with serenity or solace, but it's a great story and it's written so well...I saw the movie Capote recently, and I just really wanted to read the book after that. It's good stuff!
Old 04-21-2007, 09:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You know, I'm also finding that I'm spending SO MUCH time thinking about my husband, posting on this website, posting on my blog, posting on other forums, reading about opiates and heroin and addiction...I'm a little obsessed...it's just nice to read about something else!
Old 04-21-2007, 10:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
On a tear

Glass Castle was good - not sure if it is nonfiction or memoir, but I found it thought provoking.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree "In Cold Blood" is a classic, read it three times. If you like animals, then "From Baghdad, With Love" or "Marley and Me". I also read "The Night Stalker" although that one might scare you, but I love to read about how they catch serial killers. Often thought I should have been a homicide detective Marle
Old 04-22-2007, 06:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A recent one that has literally changed my life: Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert, about one woman's journey from desperate unhappiness to a life of joy. She's normal, funny, just a regular person who is trying to find the key to not being unhappy any more. I will never, ever let this book out of my sight.

Also, The Joy Diet: Ten Daily Practices for a Happier Life by Martha Beck. It's funny, helpful, and a kind of step-by-step that gives you something to practice along the way. Very cool.

Good luck!!!
GiveLove
Old 04-22-2007, 09:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

The Secret Life of Bees...one of my all time favorites!

I just read.."The Road" very intense.....
(the newest Oprah book)
Old 04-22-2007, 03:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am reading "Lucky You" by Carl Haaissen and "Buddhism" by Steve Hagen (mostly about Zen, which I am unfamiliar with.)
My most favourite recent non-fiction book is "When Things Fall Apart" by Pema Chodron (Buddhist Nun)