OK all you 'funksters'...let's pull ourselves out of it!

Old 04-21-2007, 04:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ICU

OK all you 'funksters'...let's pull ourselves out of it!

I'll start....

I have a deep and abiding love for Kenny Loggins for his thought provoking and inspirational music (ok, for the fun-spirited, kick-butt tunes too). (Interestingly enough, for years he too has been on a journey of actively pursuing a more spiritually rewarding way of life, not much different than what many of us here are striving for.) Anyway, I've been a fan of his for years! I used to go to so many of his concerts and have had the good fortune and pleasure of meeting him so many times. He and his band actually gave me rides to and from the shows a couple of times when we stayed at the same hotel. OK, get your mind out of the gutter, it wasn't like "THAT"! No, I am not 'that' type of groupie....just a fan...ALWAYS treated with respect and courtesy by him and his band and management team!

Anyway, through various relationships in my life, I had given up so many things that were important to me, or made me happy! Kenny was one of them. Well, no more.

He's on tour now, promoting his new CD, so in an effort to 'rediscover' things that I love and used to do, I bought a ticket to one of his upcoming concerts for later this summer. I'm going by myself, but that's ok. I don't want ANYONE ruining it for me. This is for me, me, MEEEEEEE!!!

I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to this. I 'feel' an excitement that I haven't felt, literally, for years! This shows me just how much I have neglected my spirit....no wonder the funky blues have taken hold of me so much lately. I need to feed my soul more often!! "I'm a free (wo)man now"!! (Little plug from his new cd "How About Now'?)!!

So, my question to you is, what is something that you love to do and maybe haven't done for awhile because of, well, it didn't fit into 'someone else's plan'? And, what, if anything are you going to do about it now?
Old 04-21-2007, 04:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hmmmm - well i love going to the movies but ABF just likes to drink. In 6 years he only took me out to dinner once. He just goes to bars. Yes - I know I know.

So - dinner and a movie with a girlfriend. Although I am still in early recovery so maybe I should get myself to an AA meeting. Which insane part of me do I take care of first? LOL.

Great thread and I am looking forward to hearing more ideas here.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Last year I went out with 5 other women for a "Girl's Day Out". It was so much fun - so we are in the planning stages of doing another one this year and making it an annual event.

Concerts. I started going again a few years ago after XAH and I seperated. What a blast! I'll be going to a few this summer - as well as going out tonight to see an up-and-coming band perform.

Suntans! This was something XAH griped about! Not sure why as it really didn't affect him. I've just recently started going over to a friend's house twice a week and tanning in her tanning bed to get a base tan before the beautiful summer weather gets here (still cold here) so I'll have a jump start on a nice tan! I can't even remember the last time I had a nice tan!

Fairs and Festivals. Again, I started this a few years ago, but plan to go again this year. I make my kids go with me - their teenagers! lol - so they gripe and complain but then we have an awesome time. There's one in particular that I go too with just my daughter as they have awesome jewelry booths and she always breaks my bank at that one! LOL. Planning to go again this year, of course.

I'm seeing someone. I don't allow the X to make me guilty anymore nor do I care what he thinks or how he feels. That took a long time in coming and it's a long story - but the point is that I'm going on with MY life, doing what I want to do, etc. with no reservations because of the XAH.

Oh - and I'm continuing to work on my house. While that may seem laborous to you all - it's been a major experience for me. I get great enjoyment out of it as well as a sense of accomplishment. XAH let so many things go, it's really sad that he was so unappreciative of what he had.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
full of hope

What a nice thread, ICU!

I miss going to the movies. My AH will never, ever take me and it didn't dawn on me to go alone!?!? I'm going to have to think about that.

But, I will tell you one thing I'm doing. I always wanted to start playing the piano again so yesterday I made a phone call and a lady in our church who gives lessons is going to give me lessons before church on Wed.

You should have seen AH's jaw set when I told him this morning. You know what I thought....AH WHO????
Old 04-21-2007, 05:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ICU

None of my ex's ever liked going to the movies either. Between my last 2 (ex's) I think I might have seen 4 movies (out in the theaters) over a span of almost 13 years. I wonder why I never just took myself when I wanted to see something??? I used to do that all the time when I 'didn't' have a relationship. I wonder why having relationships makes me, and others, stop doing things that we love.....Hmmmm.....

Fairs and festivals are good ideas too. I loved going to the Renaissance Festival in NY.

Piano lessons? Now there's a great idea too. I love listening to music (could 'ya tell?), but learning to play an instrument would be so cool!

Great ideas...keep 'em coming!
Old 04-21-2007, 12:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Same here with the movies. He couldn't drink or smoke in a theater and couldn't be without for 2 hrs. We did attempt once in 5 years, but ended up getting in a fight in the parking lot and left. Never again!!

I'm going to go to as many movies, plays, etc. that I would enjoy. I should have gone alone while with him, but at the time, I made everything about him.

My teacher friends and I are going to a high school play next weekend. I appreciate the arts and never had a chance to really enjoy them!
Old 04-21-2007, 12:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
full of hope

We should just start our own movie club!

We could all go to the movies on the same night....

Old 04-21-2007, 03:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What's playing tonight then???? I really don't mind.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You guys crack me up!!! Having been a single woman all but 3 years of my life--I go to the movie alone alot---just go!--now I am a huge movie buff--so most of them now are dvds cause I am not well enough to drive most of the time.
As far as Kenny Loggins --I have met him as well-years back just walking around in Epcot in florida-a very nice man.
What would I like to do?Ya know no matter what chaos was going on here with the AS I still did things-I think the best thing was a week oceanfront by myself--right next to NYC with Mom on her 70th. But I always had in th e back of my mind--''I wonder whats going on at home" to the point of anxiety attacks---
It would be nice to just go somewhere anywhere and not have to worry about what you may find when you come home!!!
Maybe I look at it differently being permanently disabled with a chronic illness-I never know whats around the corner so I felt why I was well enough I should do them...glad I did.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
full of hope

Originally Posted by Sunflower View Post
It would be nice to just go somewhere anywhere and not have to worry about what you may find when you come home!!!
Oh, Sunflower, you made my heart skip a beat!!
Old 04-21-2007, 03:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

ok if we are going to a movie how about.................................
One flew Over the Cuckoos Nest?????
Old 04-21-2007, 03:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
full of hope

Is that an old one???
Old 04-21-2007, 03:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

we all should go to the movies on the same night! i'm up for it!
Old 04-21-2007, 03:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

chero it is a classic--rent it someday--from the 70s I think
Old 04-21-2007, 03:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
full of hope

I totally think we should do the movie thing!! What's showing right now?
Old 04-21-2007, 03:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

well... i saw "reign over me" (the one with adam sandler and don cheadle, where adam sandler lost his family in 9/11) and i HIGHLY recommend it. it was hilarious, sad, and so uplifting all at the same time. when i walked out of it, i felt like a new person! it's one i would definitely see again!
Old 04-21-2007, 03:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My daughter was meeting her friends at the movies last night and I thought, I can't even remember the last time I was in a movie theatre. So.... I went and saw a a movie by myself. It was wonderful!!!!! I should have done that a long time ago. ;-)

Jo
Old 04-21-2007, 04:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
full of hope

OMG! I was wanting to see that movie..reign over me! I cried just watching the previews!!
Old 04-21-2007, 04:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am watching ''the king of scotland'' tonight on dvd about a cruel dictator with Forrest Whitaker-who won the oscar for his perfomance in it...sounds heavy doesn't it????
Maybe I better watchsomething more light hearted I am already in a deep enough mood!!!
Old 04-21-2007, 04:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
full of hope

How about a chick-flick!???