intuition vs. fear

Old 04-20-2007, 09:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

intuition vs. fear

So I was just talking to a good friend of mine and we got on the subject of intuition vs. fear.

We both agreed that we have a hard time knowing when a feeling/thought comes from that little voice trying to tell you something (that you should heed)...or when a feeling/thought really comes from a place of fear and should be recognized, but not listened to.

Does this make sense?

Do you guys ever have this problem? And if so, how do you tell which one is which?
Old 04-20-2007, 09:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

OMG this is the story of my life--and I can never tell the difference-which makes me really anxious. Alot of times my intuition is on target so to ignore it is scary....granted I am talking about my AS as a mother and all mothers have that gut feeling when something is wrong....hard not to act on it isn't it?And yes the fear overwhelming!!!!
Old 04-20-2007, 09:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
full of hope

That is such a GOOD question! Can't wait to read the responses on this one! Thanks, New!

For me, usually if I'm walking in fear I can't rationalize the subject or task at hand. Hmm...I don't know. We get so used to the fear, don't we?
Old 04-20-2007, 09:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I got some good advice from Lanie on my thread about something like this. I think both feelings can be respected and honoured. Fear is there for a reason and can be respected just the same as intuition. If something feels wrong we could honour that. Working out why it feels wrong helps us get better and then we can start to make the right decisions for ourselves.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I spent a great deal of time trying to discern between the voice of fear and intuition until I stumbled upon this wisdom....

The voice of intuition is neutral whereas the voice of fear is emotionally charged. Irrational fear can usually be recognized because the voice is "abusive"...and it attacks...it's berating and negative in nature. It can make you feel awful and powerless. Intuition does not do that to you.

I actually carried the information I found in my purse for a great while..but dang it ..I can't find it.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm so relieved and psyched that you guys get what I'm talking about!

Loving these replies...

Pilgrim- wow, so true that it is worthwhile to try to figure out WHY something feels wrong.

Nudawn- now that is quite a gem...I'll be ruminating on what you say for a long time.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i wish i could tell the difference too! But for me, fear is often a very strong feeling. Intution is usally a small little voice. One thing that i find helpful is praying. It helps calm my irrational fear!
Old 04-20-2007, 09:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've internalized fear to such an extent that I can't distinguish it from intuition. Fear is my intuition. I will try Nuudawn's recommendation and see how things change for me!

Fear is what I learned growing up. Fear of what might happen to me because there was always something bad coming down the line right at me.

Supposedly there's the voice of my HP in there somewhere but it's being drowned out by the Fear voice. Intuition is the HP speaking but it's real quiet. Since the Fear is internalized abuse I bet we could learn to distinguish them. I'm going to try! I just know my HP isn't abusive, because I won't allow that.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When the hair stands up on the back of my neck, that's millions of years
of evolutions. I didn't care if its was fear or intuitions or both
I made a 180 and ran. I'll figure it out later.

As for my codi habits....it's a totally different vibe or kind of fears.

As for people in general...some people just gives out negative or dark vibes.
I don't like that either. I aviod these indiviuals as much as possiable.
clean, drunk, normies....it dosn't matter to me.

As for fear of height...that wierd for me.
Everytime i get in a high rises or high places.
I have an urge to jump off.lol
Old 04-20-2007, 11:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Internalized fear...

I have had to get out of my comfort zone all this week and

go out and try to take care of business that "just crept up"

on me. You know what I mean...and by today the chemical

connection has come back. The gut twisting gnawing anxious

feeling that something will happen....or what has happened

is worse than I know...

I am bipolar as well as recovering alki/addict/codi. I am bipolar

had a brief lapse in meds due to circumstances beyond my

control this week on top of everything else...

I have felt like running. That is irrational fear. The "internalized".

Just as if I had relapsed with a substance, I relapsed with ....fear.

Changing my attitude and working 100% on acceptance

and faith in my HP's ability to take care of all is how

I will pull out of this, I know. It takes time and effort.

Intuition? I've been called a witch..lol. But no, I'm not.

A certain "knowing" of things, seeing images of a

situation...I have that. Runs in the family.

Love,

Sherry
Old 04-21-2007, 12:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Becoming a Butterfly

For me intuition comes to me as a truth. "There is something wrong here." It's a statement from my innermost self to the decision-making part of me. I've learned to be firm and trust it. These days I'll stand up and leave, opinions be damned.

My fear is all trembly and freaked out. It doesn't feel clear cut. I take it as a warning tho. It's like my intuition's spider-sense, if you know what I mean.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think codies and addicts operate out of fear ... fear of emotions, fear of reactions, fear of life and its outcomes in general. I have played the fear card in my life so often that I think it is a message from God not to do anything other than to stay stuck and wait. Wait on what? More fear???? Naahhhh....

When we're living with or somehow attached to an addict, I think we frequently react to our feelings. JMO ... how do we discern the difference between acting on feelings or stepping out in faith by listening to that small voice within? Pray. Shut up. Wait. Then watch what happens. Don't do something on the spur of the moment or impetuously. Stand back and detach. Just examine the facts. Look at your own reactions and how you think they played a part in the situation.

Then step out and try the waters. I'm doing that now. I have struggled for a couple zillion hours. I've been stuck. Now I have to examine what has happened and what role I played. As I've done that, I have come to believe that I remain stuck way too long based on fear and some sick, false sense of security.

I guess sometimes we just have to dive off the board into the arms of someone saying, "C'mon, I'll catch ya," and believe it ... regardless of our own fears and sense of hesitation.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

I believe Intuition and Fear are pretty much the same.
Intuition is the thought in the brain.
Fear reacts to that thought. Same as sadness, happiness or pain.

Its like when you met someone - my intuition tells me something about that person. You start judging the person. Weighing up what you think of them.
Fear is a physical reaction to the judgement.

Then we decide how we deal with it.
Intuition can be used or not used.
Fear can be used or not used.

I use my intuition all the time. Its like I met someone and while listening, I hear the messages that are there for me to use.

Make any sense!
Old 04-21-2007, 04:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Intuition is my first response.it always come first.
Fear can come second,if im fearful.And if im fearful,i have blocked out my,intuition....smile...
Old 04-21-2007, 05:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

What a fantastic topic! I just love it when we get down and dirty with our own recovery rather than concentrating on the whys and wherefores of anyone else's problems.

All my life I have known that my intuition is always right. Problem is, I've usually reached that conclusion in hindsight, which of course didn't really help much at the time. Over the past few years, though, I have learned to respect my inner voice and now know that it is my best self speaking - the one that picks up on all the information that I have ever read/heard/watched/experienced and is able to feed it back to me when needed. Our brains are super computers and I believe that the deep subconscious is where the real work happens. Anyone read "Blink" by Malcolm Gladwell? Fascinating stuff - my family now ask each other "What's your Blink response?" on all sorts of things, not least in the last 4 pub quizzes, all of which bro and I won!! My intuition is about reality and truth. When I tap into that part of me, there is a quietness and calm and a "rightness" about the thought. It is untainted and pure and I can feel that it comes from a very different place to fear. In fact, it is in some ways emotionless - like Nuudawn says, it is neutral.

Fear is something altogether different. It is chock full of emotion and it often physical - my stomach churns, I feel sick, I shake, go lightheaded and am filled with alarm and panic. There is a sense of urgency about it and all I want to do is react. Very often, it comes from a place of uncertainty and lack of knowledge and, for me, is always preceded by a trigger of some sort. It seems to me that fear is very "future-based" i.e. I am fearful of what will happen NOW and is therefore removed from reality in some senses. Intuition is about drawing upon the wisdom gained from past experience and is therefore much more real.

Nowadays, I choose which one I feed. As long as I am not in immediate physical danger, I know that nothing is that urgent that I can't take a time out and wait for the fear to pass. Because it does. And that's when I can stop the chatter in my mind and listen to my gut. Also, I choose to continually feed my sub-conscious so that it has plenty of raw information to work with - I am much more aware of the quality of the "input" in the form of TV, radio, books, magazines, people, places, etc. I can't tell you where I learned the things that are now my "truths" because I think my sub-conscious has simply taken snippets here and there in order to build the picture.

Celebrate your intuition and feed it as much as you can. Above all, cherish that part of you that will not let you down and give it the respect it desrves. After all, it is the very essence of YOU.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I wanted to add something else about fear that I read in "Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway" years ago and that took me a looooong time to understand.

"At the bottom of everyone of your fears is simply the fear that you can't handle whatever life may bring you"

Now that I have more trust in myself, and my intuition, my fears are far fewer and certainly much less intense.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:21 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

But what if my intuition (my "inner voice") is conditioned to protect me in the ways it has grown accustomed to? And what if I am ready to grow and not be held back in the same ways?

For example, I think I'm finally getting in touch with my life long fear of feeling vulnerable (having it's roots - no shocker - in negative childhood events)...and how this of course ties into my choice of men. Yet I've found that very often "normies" make my inner voice scream "not this one".

How do I reprogram this? Any ideas?

I love affirmations, and they have worked well for me in the past. I am thinking that I need to start that up again.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Could that inner voice be really saying "Not anyone"? We have to be gentle with ourselves and give ourselves plenty of time to heal from our experiences. And I have found that it took a lot longer than I ever imagined, and I know I am not alone in that.

Vulnerability I can understand all too clearly. It is no wonder many of us feel that we cannot risk being vulnerable again after having our vulnerabilities so cruely used against us. I have found that taking small (in fact, minute) risks at first helped me to learn that it's OK to open up to people, provided that I listen to my gut. Watching actions, not just listening to words has been instrumental in learning to trust other people again, although my gretaest leaps have arisen because I learned to trust myself.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

This how I delt with it. there's probaly other ways

there's a sticky power thread the help me to rid
of my negative inner vioce. I simply followed the instructions
to rid of it.

I tried to cram out the negative inner vioce with possitive thoughts
it would only for a little while, or the inner vioce still exist. it's
beyound just the vioce of my own, or the negative vioce.

I notice I would be more negative after visiting my parents,
mainly my A-father. A life time of enforcing and reenforce, it would
take me another life time to cram out the negativity.

When i saw that thread, it made a lot of sense to me of how
I can get confuse a lot of times with fears. i lived in constant
fear as a child. As and adult anything I did was never good enough.

an anlogy
I had to get to the bottom of it, to root cuase and pluck it out.
kind of like clean the earth of bad seeds before planting good seeds.
I just watch over my garden (mind) plant good seed, cultivate it, water it
(loving myself/posistive)..have a scare crow (ignore or fight off negative influence)
to keep crows away from eating my seeds...so I get a decent
garden as the seasons change (it dosen't happen overnight)

I do step 10, 11,12 every night. It's just preventive maintenance
so i don't carry yesterday's dirt into tommorrow.
You can call it letting go, forgivness, release...whatever terms pleases ya.

Basically reparenting myself. I'm mature enough or openminded
enough about my inner child . At the very lease i can say
I'm learning to love myself.

I don't drink or use drugs becuase it would be difficult and almost
imposisble if my mind was numb to practice this....in my case.

I've also meditate, I stared meditating 10 years ago.
A simple walk in the sunset or playing my guitar is a form
of meditation. Sometimes i just sit at a part bench as just
observe and let whatever thoughts in my mind pass untill
I'm aware of my surrondings. Being in the moment not
in my head.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I also can see, in hindsight, that my intuition has never let me down. It was my desire to paint green what was meant to be blue that got me in trouble. Striving for my best life versus hammering away at square pegs in round holes.

Accepting reality does not mean admitting defeat. Only took me 48 years to figure that one out LOL!

Great question NEG. I'd only add that just because a feeling comes from fear doesn't mean it shouldn't be listened to. Not acting on it is more like it. I've learned so much about myself from listening to my fears.

((()))