Notices

Day 4...

Old 04-20-2007, 06:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4...

I'm on Day 4 and feeling a lot better. This is the longest I've gone in years without a drink and I was lucky not to have had any acute withdrawal symptoms. Next time I may not be as lucky.
The real challenge starts today with the weekend looming. Physically, I don't have any huge cravings and I feel like I can resist drinking, but socially...that's a different animal. Any advice on getting through this? Understand that even at home my wife and I break out some wine on Friday and Saturday evenings so it isn't simply a matter of not going out.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well, it's good to be aware that the weekend can be a potential problem for you. Have you talked to your wife and asked her if she would mind to not drink around you, for awhile at least. Hopefully she will agree to this. If not, then I would make the choice to be in a different area of the house and doing something different. Listen to music, watch a movie or go out for a walk. It's a time when you need to make a difficult choice about what you are going to do.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
let it grow!

have a good safe plan, unger. write it down, and stick to it. blessings, k

have a great day 4!
Old 04-20-2007, 08:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by unger894 View Post
I'm on Day 4 and feeling a lot better. This is the longest I've gone in years without a drink and I was lucky not to have had any acute withdrawal symptoms. Next time I may not be as lucky.
The real challenge starts today with the weekend looming. Physically, I don't have any huge cravings and I feel like I can resist drinking, but socially...that's a different animal. Any advice on getting through this? Understand that even at home my wife and I break out some wine on Friday and Saturday evenings so it isn't simply a matter of not going out.
Unger,

The challenge you face should not be faced alone. Have you considered some kind of support group, perhaps AA. Because none of us has the power to fight alcoholism by ourselves, we need face-to-face contact with people close by that can offer us understanding, love, and comfort. I was amazed when I walked into AA when I found that there were people there who had the exact same problem I did.

If you don't think AA is for you, but have never tried it, please go. It can't hurt and you can always leave if you feel uncomfortable. No one will force you to say anything. I'm sure there are meetings all around where you live. Most meetings are either "open" or "closed". The difference is that "open" meetings are for anyone, whether alcoholic or not, that wants to have a better understand of alcoholism, or are just curious. "Closed" meetings are for those of us who have a desire to stop drinking. It is asked that anyone not having a problem with alcohol not attend "closed" meetings. In your case, you could go to either.

I encourage you to at least try. We alcoholics go to any length to get a drink, if we put half the effort into staying sober that we put into getting drunk, we will be well on our way to recovery.

Your friend in sobriety,
Ed
Old 04-20-2007, 09:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yep, what Ed said ^
I was against going at first but I went and now I love it!! I cried the next morning after I drank because I was afraid of losing all my new sober friends in AA. Please just give it a try ok?